Archinect
anchor

M. Arch I programs with Urban Design focus

LinkOne

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what M Arch I (if any) courses have a strong urban design focus?

I am an urban designer with a background in urban planning, and am looking to expand my knowledge through undertaking a master's of architecture program. Ideally, it would be great to partake in design studios at both the architectural and urban scales.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

May 20, 10 7:16 am

at least when i was at georgia tech back in 2001-2003 there was a strong (although informal) focus on urban design... i believe that they now also have a M.S. in urban design, so you may be able to do a dual degree as well...

May 20, 10 8:11 am  · 
 · 
LinkOne

Thanks for your reponse Phillip. I will look into Georgia tech.

I already have an MA in urban design, so I think a dual degree would be too much of an overlap. To develop my design skills at a detailed level I want to study an M Arch program. Do you know anything about the focus of courses at GSD, YSOA and princeton are?

May 20, 10 10:00 am  · 
 · 
jacob

Kent State

May 20, 10 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

University of Maryland
http://www.arch.umd.edu

They offer a certificate in Urban Design as part of their Master of Architecture

The Certificate in Urban Design offers to graduate students enrolled in the Master of Architecture the opportunity to be graduated with added expertise and enhanced credentials in urban design.

The program provides instruction and certification in the emerging discipline of urban design. Although not a separate degree program, the curriculum offers courses in urban design and related subjects with a strong emphasis in the design studio experience. Its existence complements the professional and post-professional degree program and is comprised of courses currently offered at College Park.

May 20, 10 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
azcue

The University of Miami has an MArch 1 program with an emphasis in Urban Design. There is also a 1 year Urban design degree that can be done in conjunction with it.

Miami is big on urbanism, and almost all design projects are set in an existing urban setting. Their has recently been a regime change, so don't be fooled by many who believe it is an entirely "new urbanist" school; there are actually very few classes that deal with that topic anymore and has become much more diverse.

I would say that Miami competes with GTech and Maryland, and has had graduates of both of those schools finish their 4 year program in the Miami curriculum.

May 21, 10 1:08 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Not sure if you are looking outside the US(not too far outside) but McGill has a fairly strong program

http://www.mcgill.ca/urbandesign/

May 21, 10 1:32 am  · 
 · 
kungapa

MIT has a pretty strong urban focus. At Yale and the GSD there are aspects of urban design in the M.Arch program, and in studio and elective course choices you can tailor your education in that direction.

May 21, 10 9:35 am  · 
 · 
j_macken

UCLA

May 21, 10 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
LinkOne

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for your input. It’s all very useful. From what I can tell a number of institutions, perhaps even the majority, permit students to choose a number of electives of their choice, and ultimately guide their architectural education to some degree.

One final question – can anyone tell me what universities in particular are known for their emphasis on innovation, and experimentalism? In London (where I am from) both the AA and Bartlett are renowned for this approach, under which architecture becomes almost fine art. Whilst these schools are undoubtedly highly reputable, having studied urban planning and design I’m not entirely sure I would enjoy studying architecture in such a conceptual and almost imaginative context.

I’m having difficulty discerning this information from various schools’ websites; their blurbs are all really ambiguous. Does anyone know anything about the emphasis at YSOA or Princeton?

Thanks again.

May 25, 10 11:45 am  · 
 · 
LinkOne

So...anyone know of school's that are reknowned for being particularly conceptual and experimental? I hear GSD and Columbia are examples but im not entirely sure.

Any help would be much appreciated!

May 31, 10 5:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: