oh yeah ... school, definitely school

Apr 14, 10 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

get some sleep....refresh that mind.

Apr 14, 10 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
maxpower

no. i work best in the morning after at least 6 hours sleep.

Apr 14, 10 11:19 pm  · 
 · 

i'd change your school habits now or, when you start trying to work in a normal firm environment, you just might be useless.

Apr 15, 10 7:17 am  · 
 · 
marmkid

i think that is all in your head and is most likely not true

I remember while in school people would say they worked best when they had no sleep or were up for 30+ straight hours

I think maybe you just are more distracted during the day because more people are around, classes going on, etc? It is generally quieter at night and less going on so you can focus easier

I'd try to adjust this mindset because it really doesnt translate too well to the working world

Apr 15, 10 9:54 am  · 
 · 
tuna

what it boils down too is how you manage your time. can you be productive during the day verse the evening? I agree with S. Ward. Your habits will change once you're in a work/company enviroment. it gets pretty old having to work late nights when you could be doing something personal like having a life.

Apr 16, 10 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
esfk

you might find this interview set refreshing because it really demonstrates that while we all have our preferences, many of the most respected designers do find inspiration in the morning. and are also in touch with their families ... it's incredible how this notion of the nocturnal, alienated architect has acquired such a chokehold over the discipline.

http://www.designboom.com/interviews.html

Apr 17, 10 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
awkeytect

I think the 'nocturnal alienated' situation is a result of circumstance.
I cant speak for all students...but given that I am required to have a minor and finance my education, the time I have during the day is an hour here and an hour there, between jobs and other classes. When work ends at 11 studio comes into the picture.

Its hard to get my mind up to speed with all the simultaneous problems a project is geared in solving in a short amount of time.

I do believe the routine will change once in an office environment, because yes it definitely has to. and I sure look forward to that time when I can work out a healthy balance.

and in regards to the article - thats great but the question asked is 'what is the best part of your day' and is not too relevant to when you perform best as a designer. And yes, all of the answers have nothing to do with their time spent in the office. In which case I'd have to agree ..the best part of my day, is the time in between.

Apr 17, 10 11:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: