Archinect
anchor

Adaptive Reuse: A Philadelphia Navy Ship

mguhanasjr

I'm currently working on an architecture project which is a proposal for a recreational facility & information center on Venice Island in Manayunk, Philadelphia. The site is along the Schuylkill River and in the flood way (which is a problem in itself) so I had the idea to bypass the problem and just to allow the building to float...

I had a bit of an epiphony and thought it would be brilliant if I could reuse one of the many 'stricken' navy ships at Philadelphia's Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility.

The problem comes in that I need technical data of a US Military device (although only spatial and structural). I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to obtain this information if you've worked on something similar. I could just called the Maintenance Facility but I want to make sure I play my cards right and don't ruin my chances of obtaining the information if there's a better way.

Mar 26, 10 11:26 am

why not use the ss united states that sits over across the street from ikea... it is actually pretty famous... its claim to fame is something about setting the time/speed record for transatlantic trip... you could probably find some good drawings of it with a bit of digging... also, i read somewhere in the past week or two that it is being put up on the auction block to be sold for scrap...

Mar 26, 10 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Smile of Fury

The organization within the Navy that is the source of that information is called Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) www.navsea.navy.mil

For ship classes that are still active (the actual ships at Philadelphia aren't, but some of them are of the same type as ships that are still in the fleet) the information you are looking for is still classified.

Maybe for some of the older ships that information is releasable? Would be interest to hear what you find out.

Mar 27, 10 2:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: