Archinect
anchor

That 'handmade' Urban Outfitters'esque exhibit design stuff?

l3wis

So I'm helping a friend renovate/decorate an interior space into a sort of coffeehouse/loungey/reading type thing. ANYways.

You know those sweet decorations and exhibits you see in trendy clothing stores these days (Urban Outfitters, Forever XXI, etc. ) that could be made by hand from everyday objects?

I wish I had a picture to show you, but for example - I saw in a store the other day that they had simply taped these paper airplanes made from pages out of a novel in a circuitous path that that wheeled up and down a wall in these cool circular patterns. Super easy to make, super cool decoration.

Anyone have suggestions for this type of thing for the space we're working on? Any images online or whatnot of stuff to make or craft that would look cool on the floor, wall, or ceiling? Just thought I'd ask!

Thanks,

Feb 22, 10 10:23 pm
Cherith Cutestory

I just thought this was a funny description:

Urban Outfitters sells clothing and housewares to the teens-to-30s demographic. Often, the strategy to appeal to younger consumers plays up "independence" as at Hollister and Abecrombie + Fitch. Urban Outfitters follows this route, but with an interesting twist. Typically, when a designer wants to talk about being modern in an urban landscape, he or she will go for the converted warehouse loft look - exposed brick, wooden floor, maybe even exposed HVAC unites and pipes. Urban Outfitters tries a riskier direction with what might be described as the "unfinished basement" look - exposed 2-by-4s, plywood and pegboard, bad wallpaper. It's the raw look of a converted loft without any of the personality. The loft look is about inserting life into the city. The basement look is about an apathy towards living environment. And that fits with much of the clothing which focuses on retro, ironic, or kitschy words and images that provoke, but don't really convey any meaning.

Feb 22, 10 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory
Feb 22, 10 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory
Feb 22, 10 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory
Feb 22, 10 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Arne Quinze

Feb 22, 10 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Eurovisions by Fantastic Norway

recently on Dezeen

Feb 22, 10 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Jonas Wagell

recently on Dezeen

Feb 22, 10 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Suppose Design Office

also from Dezeen

Feb 22, 10 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

eh... hope that helps

Feb 22, 10 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
aldorossi

Check out Louise Nevelson's sculptures.

Feb 22, 10 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Yea thanks .._. .._ _._. _._ and aldorossi

Feb 23, 10 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
li dandan

anthropologie also uses everyday objects to create cool window displays too, albiet girlier than all the ones posted here. like creating flowers out of phone books or plastic cups.

Feb 23, 10 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Anthropolgie and Urban Outfitters are owned by the same company. Their store designers go through the same design/review process to be hired. The designers also do quite a bit of flip-flopping from UO to Anthropologie.

I'd contact local recycle yards or check out something like freecycle.org. See what you can get for free or cheap and let your creativity go from there. I'd let the materials guide your design process in this application.

Feb 23, 10 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
n_

This is another guide website. You can find a ridiculous amount of wood pallets for free.

http://www.recycle.net/

Feb 23, 10 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: