Archinect
anchor

Samuel Mockbee / Rural Studio documentary

CitizenArchFilm

Hello,
We want to make everyone aware of our documentary Samuel Mockbee and Auburn University's Rural Studio. The film is titled: Citizen Architect: Samuel Mockbee and the Spirit of the Rural Studio and the website is here: www.citizenarchitectfilm.com

The film is going to have a nationwide broadcast this summer on PBS in the U.S. and we are premiering the film at the prestigious South By Southwest Film Festival in Austin,TX in March. The film will then also play screening engagements at museums, universities, theaters and architecture organizations through the rest of the year. You can check the blog page on our website for screening information.

If you're interested in planning a screening in your area, let us know!

Feb 17, 10 7:01 pm
drums please, Fab?

thanks for the heads up - the trailer looks great !!

Feb 17, 10 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

Righteous dude, was Samuel. Looks like a good documentary, can't wait to see it.

Feb 17, 10 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
Purpurina

Nothing better than a real engagement in the community. I feel you there. Good work.

Feb 17, 10 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
CitizenArchFilm

Thank you. I think a lot of people interested/involved in design for social good and building up community through the arch. skill set are really going ot dig this movie.

Feb 17, 10 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
montagneux

*yawn*

Feb 17, 10 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

A number of professors and practicing architects in San Antonio would be very interested in this flick. I'll try to make a "warm" introduction if you're thinking about making the short drive from Austin.

John Grable loved this man. You may want to contact him.

Feb 17, 10 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
jesus.saves

How is Andrew doing? Is he still heading it up? And did "snakebit" ever come out?

Feb 18, 10 12:06 am  · 
 · 
CitizenArchFilm

A screening in San Antonio is in the works. My partner's working on it. I think he's working with UTSA, the local AIA and some folks from Lake/Flato to get it done. CHeck back on our website for details about that screening when it's firmed up.

And, "Snakebit" is the "Citizen Architect" movie. We just changed the title.

Thanks.

Feb 18, 10 10:03 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Right on, guy. Can't wait to see it. I've been a fan since the book appeared, seven or eight years ago. It's high time for this expected and logical next step. . .

Feb 18, 10 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
jesus.saves

I think you guys should change the title again and call it " I love snapping turtles!"

Feb 18, 10 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
nightrain

I like Jay's interview with Peanut in the trailer. More architects need to learn to listen like this and let others talk.

Feb 19, 10 8:58 am  · 
 · 
CitizenArchFilm

Let me respond to a few of the recent posts:

Andrew's doing great, leading the RSin all kinds of amazing directions.

I love snapping turtles myself.

And, yes, Peanut is a really grounding perspective to have in the film.

We're doing our final sound mix on the film over the next few days. So close to being done! We've been making this movie on and off for 10 years. It's about time!

Thanks, Y'all!

Feb 19, 10 11:06 am  · 
 · 
nightrain

Did you ever hear the story about when Shep carried (by himself) a big snapping turtle up to the house to cook for dinner, and the students working there asked him not to eat it. He said then they had to carry it back to the river themselves. They had a hell of a time.

Looking forward to more good stories and more good wisdom in this film.

Feb 19, 10 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
ryanj

CitizenArchFilm, you can count on the Dallas-Fort Worth chapter of Architecture for Humanity for a screening as well. Can't wait to see it. Maybe we'll just come down to South By!

Feb 20, 10 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Looks great. Will this be available on DVD anytime soon?

Feb 20, 10 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
nightrain

CitizenArchFilm,

Can you explain why Eisenman is in this film. What a waste of time he is, a trail of meaningless ideas that have received way too much attention. I am guessing he is in the film to show contrast, to represent the self-infatuated type of architect rather than the architect interested in others like Sambo? Why anybody else is interested in Eisenman besides himself is one of the great mysteries of design. Why Yale (or any other) students would pay for his wasting their time is a sad statement about their intelligence. Maybe they think the drivel he drools is fascinating, but look at what he drooled two years ago -- or any time before -- and judge how valuable that has been proven to be. In comparison, the value of Sambo's philosophy continues to grow and influence the world of design, and the world.

Feb 27, 10 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
Canary Trace

I watched ‘Citizen Architect’ last night on our local PBS station. Outstanding production! Sambo’s legacy is relevant (and timeless)on so many levels. Has he really been gone a decade already?

Aug 24, 10 10:04 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

ours replayed the ken burns jack johnson documentary. booo

Aug 24, 10 10:26 am  · 
 · 
postal

yeah, wasn't available here either...

but it looks like the entire thing is online.... http://video.pbs.org/video/1572945958/

Aug 24, 10 10:53 am  · 
 · 
charles.ellinwood

i watched it on my lunch break today...55 minutes well spent.

thanks for posting that link!

Aug 25, 10 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
CitizenArchFilm

I'm glad y'all are enjoying it! It is playing in certain areas on different days, so sorry for the confusion. Tell your friends the DVD is now available on citizenarchitectfilm.com and Amazon. Right on.

Aug 25, 10 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
samchn07

i will keep it in mind and get in touch surely!

Dec 16, 11 7:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: