Archinect
anchor

Gripe Central

oe

Hey! Heres a thread where we can rant and bitch about things! Eh? We already do that in all the threads you say? Welp. Here, instead of that tinge of remorse and self-aware-snootiness, you can rave and harangue with pride and panache!

I'll start!

White House Crashers. Hey! Cable News! NOBODY GIVES A FLYING FUCK. Some witless celebutantes shook hands with the prez. Thats worth a cuckle! A 20-second afternoon mention by Wolf-Blitzer the Animatronic empty beard. NOT A WEEK FUCKING STRAIT OF WALL-TO-WALL COVERAGE. But! But! Just think!! They werent on the list!! Mr and Ms Attention Whore could have been james-bond super-spies and leaped, matrix-style, across the room to slice off Joe Biden's smiling head with ricin-poisoned ceramic samurai swords smuggled in a cybernetic false leg!! NO. SHIT. Just like any one of 15,000 other assholes on a ropeline any time in the last 3 years. And now we have to listen to congressional fucking hearings about it?? Dont you worthless nimrods have, like, shit to do??

And to Blondie and Spacewaste. Good for you. Youre the American Dream. Now FUCK OFF.

Dec 3, 09 6:46 pm
liberty bell

A small rant about how much spam has been showing up in the threads and the news and even the school blogs and even in people's Archinect email boxes lately!! This anger isn't directed at Archinect, it's directed at how people will spend so much time and energy on crap obnoxious marketing schemes and not on any kind of meaningful improvement to the world.

Dec 3, 09 9:00 pm  · 
 · 

add to the list any mention of tiger woods or sarah palin. thanks.

Dec 3, 09 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

my gripe? just say no was a lame slogan for staying away from drugs, not for pitching a fit, because your republican asses got handed to you in the general election. cranky white racists.

Dec 3, 09 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you know there is a strategy at wrigley field, or at least there used to be, that wgn who used to broadcast the games would never show a dumbass who ran onto the field. the announcers would just say things like ,,,and some idiot has run onto the field. we aren't going to show this idiot who has run onto the field. so, if you are looking for attention you won't get it here....etc. if the media would take this position for so many of these non stories maybe they would go away.

Dec 3, 09 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

only wgn's policy of not showing streakers/attention whores running on the field, didn't prevent idiots from being idiots.

Dec 3, 09 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

right but it cut down on their ability to capitilize on it.

Dec 3, 09 11:51 pm  · 
 · 

i know your short of work. i know you've been laying off. i know you NEED a job this size to keep the doors open. i know you put a lot of time into bidding this project. i know it sucks you didn't get it. i know that the results are never as black and white as everyone would like and trusting me and my client to make discretionary judgments is not comforting - especially if it doesn't go your way. i know it's easier to slap an injunction or a lawsuit on us to fight for this project rather than bid the next one. but please stop. please. all of you.

Dec 4, 09 7:27 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski
i wish i was born rich

- that should cover most of the complaints from architects

Dec 4, 09 7:38 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Do you really want to us to rework the whole damn building because you don't want to walk across the office to put YOUR lunch in the refrigerator in the morning? You aren't even the one paying for the building. You're just an employee.

Dec 4, 09 8:30 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i for one am glad i wasn't born rich, it makes stealing all that loot, all the more fun.

Dec 4, 09 8:56 am  · 
 · 
xaia

there's enough anger and griping on archinect. i'm tired of all the ranting and bitching.

have a nice weekend.

Dec 4, 09 9:27 am  · 
 · 
zahoffman

You live in Chicago, yes it is cold today. Its December now, so deal with it.

Dec 4, 09 11:11 am  · 
 · 
citizen

Gripe Central? Just type in www.archinect.com/forum..

Dec 4, 09 11:23 am  · 
 · 
binary

slackers shouldn't be allowed in grad school.....

Dec 4, 09 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Man, I hate that Orochi guy. He is such an asshole.

Dec 4, 09 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

i just posted my gripe in the climate emails thread.....

Dec 4, 09 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Actually my biggest gripe is how little architecture goes on... on an architecture website.

I designed an entire mosque over the last day in reponse to the whole swiss mosques/minarets debacle.

Just to do it.

Dec 4, 09 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

gripe of the day:

just because I load things to the FTP site doesn't magically make the project coordinated.

I don't know how many times over the past several years I've had to explain that technology is not a substitution for management. you'd think people would have figured this out by now.

Dec 10, 09 11:19 am  · 
 · 
prairie school drop out

i keep wanting to see this thread be called _grippe_ central

Dec 10, 09 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm cold.

Dec 10, 09 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
binary

my sinuses are bad and need to see an ent, but insurance won't cover it... go figure....

Dec 10, 09 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

I have some chicken in my tooth from my burrito at lunch. No one has floss. I cant think about anything else.

Dec 10, 09 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

i'm really cold.

Dec 10, 09 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
RealLifeLEED

I really identified with [url=http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/15/fashion/15rude.htm"]this post[url] about how many people are fighting bad manners with worse manners from atop artificially high horses.

I was waiting to board a plane a few weeks ago and in that purgatory between where they scan your ticket to board and the actual plane. This guy in front of me is talking on the phone. It's a midday tuesday flight, and he's in business attire clearly talking about business things. The guy in front of him turns around and asks him, quietly but not exactly politely, to turn off the phone. Businessman proceeds to continue his conversations, which wasn't really loud to begin with, and the guy in front of him gets more aggressive (not physically) about turning the phone off, getting to the point where he's clearly interrupting this guys conversation and businessman tells the other end of the line he'll have to call back.

At this point, the guy in front of him launches into a tirade about personal space and his acoustic rights as an individual. My personal opinion is there are situations where he would have been right, but a long line waiting to get on a plane is not one of them, and his reaction was far worse than the original offense. I stayed out of the conversation until the guy made a claim that he was representing a 'silent majority' of people in the line (he saw himself as 'outspoken'). At this point, myself and a few others around me confessed that we were on businessman's side, even though he was also being kind of a douche in the way he was arguing in favor of phone rights ("I bet you don't have to deal with the business issues I face everyday" sort of thing).

In the end, we were all unhappy thanks to the interrupter, whereas the initial grievance really only annoyed the interrupter... How is that a benefit?

...also, suck it, trebek!

Dec 10, 09 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
RealLifeLEED

Christ! first link
I've got a gripe with bullshit precision required to put a damn link up in this bitch.

Dec 10, 09 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

obama's alliterative speeches. stop smearing successive sounds so speeches sound soothing and suberb, all right?

Dec 10, 09 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Finally found some floss.

But it was unwaxed.

Dec 10, 09 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
NLW2

Finals.

What a bullshit structure. "Okay, everyone flip the fuck out. Students, wrap your brain around at least 4 subjects at once, and MASTER THEM RIGHT NOW. Professors, grade it all IMMEDIATELY. All of your students, in all of your classes. NOW BREAK."

What the shit. It's like we're sitting calmly in a nice, shallow pool of paint at the bottom of a spray paint can, then some meth'd out nutcase comes over with the intense desire to write out the entirety of the OED in ten minutes on a soccer ball. Then he throws the can at the wall as hard as he can.

I can't god damn stand it. No one can. How did this come to be the solution for how to evaluate progress? Its as though God and Satan were discussing what aspects of reality they'd have control over, and God said, "I got dibs on tree design, and you take figuring out how to end the semester." Satan: "Deal. I will succeed in making millions of people kill themselves, at least mentally, every six months. Have fun with your lindens, fool."

Dec 11, 09 1:18 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

like most aspects of school, it's a bit of a weeding out process...

Dec 11, 09 1:43 am  · 
 · 
NLW2

School shouldn't be about weeding out, it should be about lifting up, turning weeds into the aforementioned lindens. I see what you're saying, but seriously, how preposterous of an institutional framework is that?

Dec 11, 09 2:01 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

I do sympathize a little bit.

That's one of the things that originally drove me into history/analysis classes in college was that everything was long-term assignments and exams were often assigned weeks before class ended.

I'd probably have graduate two years early with a history degree is they didn't dispatch my degree program half-way through and leaving me to take 12 hours of war history classes... because those were the only European history classes left.

Dec 11, 09 2:39 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

Also, I hate cover letters.

I have thrown up once and smoked like 8 cigarettes trying to write 4 paragraphs for 3 hours.

Cover letters seem so inhumane. Everyone is forced to talk like robots about things everyone claims to be "great at doing." There's no personality. Well, the only personality present is passion and hope. Everyone is so "passionate" about their career choices and so "hopeful" to be considered... but then everyone bitches on Facebook/LinkedIn/whoreyourself.com about how much they hate their job.

Which is kind of funny is most of my drug addict friends actually like their jobs and never bitch about them... despite the fact that they'd be not working and getting high all day.

Dec 11, 09 2:43 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh, how fun this thread is!

Orochi, are your drug addict friends working in car repair shos? In my experience everyone working in car repair shops is high. Keep in mind, these are the people making your car presumably safe enough to go out and move in it at 75mph. Not a comforting notion!

RealLifeLEED, I love etiquette. Love it: Ms. Post said. “Just because someone is rude, you still have a standard to hold yourself to.” In that cell phone scenario there's really a question who is being more rude, like you said.

Also, Alex Trebek was nicer, and sexier, before he shaved off his mustache. Seems his empathy went along with it.

FRaC, your alliteration made me LOL, seriously.

I'll re-visit my gripe from above: this morning there are THREE spam threads on the top of the page! WTF? That's juts rude, no matter how you look at it.

Dec 11, 09 9:01 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

No, most of them have white collar jobs or work at starbucks/coffee houses.

Dec 11, 09 9:38 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

airports, oh wow, i could gripe about commercial air travel all day. but i think my single biggest issue is inexpensive air fare that has made air travel accessible to the lumpenproletariat (as kunslter likes to call them).

Dec 11, 09 10:03 am  · 
 · 
NLW2

puddles, your day shall come. with gas prices inevitably on the rise, air travel will soon enough become the lapdog of the elites, inaccessible to those who gross less than $250k a year.

See $20 a Gallon: How the inevitable rise in the price of gasoline will change our lives for the better. Good stuff, stuff the builders of the future should consider.

Dec 11, 09 10:16 am  · 
 · 
ryanj

My gripe?

Dear Architects,

I am sick of your shit...seriously! (shall I go on?)

Dec 11, 09 11:20 am  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

Orochi, I really feel your pain on the cover letters - I must have written 300-400 in the last few months, and it hasn't gotten any easier. I've been working on the last one for two days. My stomach falls out when I open Word....

Dec 11, 09 11:50 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

cover letters/personal statements suck. either you sound really boring or completely insane and desperate - there is no happy middle ground.

NLW2 - i'd also like to add that when I was in school, the bursar would always choose finals time to contact me with some kind of problem with my financial aid. not only did I have a shit-load of work, I also got to worry about lack of money and getting kicked out of school! fun!

Dec 15, 09 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
binary

dear sinus's....can you just drain already....that would be nice...

Dec 15, 09 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
a mouse

i am slightly regeretting claiming that i am a microstation expert in an interview...

only slightly becouse i got the job, but goddam it, you look like autocad, but my brain won't let go of the shortcuts that have been burned into my memory.

Dec 15, 09 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
oe

Can someone please ask Glenn Beck if he wouldnt mind stopping defrauding all the poor sad bastards who listen to his show out of whats left of their retirement funds? Dont these poor fucks know gold is probably gonna lose half its value in the next 2 years?? I mean christ, the sobbing and rambling like a mental patient is bad enough, you could at least pretend you give a flying fuck about all the sorry bastards who dont know enough not to listen to you.

Dec 22, 09 6:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: