Archinect
anchor

Revit....my progress

Some of you might remember me from my recent Revit Sucks post. A few weeks ago I decided to take a few step back, take a deep breath...and really try my best to understand things better, and to try to truly recognize why I was so frustrated...
This approach has helped my gain some understanding, and proceed in a much healthier way. AutoCad was my bitch...she is gone now....So, here is what I have come up with in my attempt to embrace Revit...First, Our office, for one reason or another has decided not to use all of the features it is perhaps known for....and this, it would appear, would be part of why I had become frustrated. Next, I knew that I had to approach this like I do everything else...learn a lot on my own, or from others on line. And lastly to not settle and make it do what I want it do do. While I know I will suck on Revit for awhile longer, I am enjoying some of its benefits, and know that someday...Revit too, will be my bitch, just like AutoCad, PowerCad, and hand Drafting that came before it!
Thanks to those who offered encouragement, and even those who think I am an arrogant prick. I love Achitecture.

Nov 6, 09 1:43 pm
scottyvalentine

Wiser peobl with recit is that it is unstable as hel, I've been using it since version 6 and still it constantly crashes for no apparent reason. As usual fantastic work by autodesk.

Nov 6, 09 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
niro

tal, keep at it, very soon u will find urself asking why am i on the stupid autocad thing.

if it make any difference, with youtube and all kinds of tutorial on the web, free learning video and step by step proceedures are bacially at your figure tips. imagine just 10 years ago, u need to get a book and read alone! if you don't already know, u are part of a huge online community of new revit users, resources are out there, all u need to do is google or bing...its almost too easy...

scotty, i just upgraded from xp-32 to 7-64 revit 2009 & 2010 runs beautifully on my machine.

Nov 7, 09 3:32 am  · 
 · 
scottyvalentine

64 bit is wonderful, except no one makes print drivers for 64 bit operating systems. Been there, tried that, crashed and burned.

Nov 7, 09 6:19 am  · 
 · 
niro

running 32 bit driver here on win7-64 no problems here.

Nov 7, 09 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
not_here

what is this printing you speak of?

Nov 7, 09 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

scotty--there are 64bit drivers for printers, even some of the older ones (like the HP designjets); they're definitely available though it may require some digging.
Shared network printers are another matter entirely--Vista definitely doesn't play nicely with them; hopefully 7 has fixed the problem

Nov 7, 09 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
scottyvalentine

HP DesignJet was exactly the plotter I was using when I had a 64 bit system. HP doesn't have the driver on their site, well they didn't 12 months ago. 64 bit systems have been around for a few years now, so it's odd. I had to keep plotting to PDF then moving to another PC.

Nov 7, 09 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

I've been running vista 64 for over a year and printing to a 1055CM+ HP designjet--let me know if you want the link to the drivers that work

Nov 8, 09 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

on second thought: here's the link for the 1000 series Vista 64 bit drivers (found via the google search: hp designjet 1055cm plus driver)

HP 1000 Series - Vista64

Nov 8, 09 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
scottyvalentine

Thanks for that. When I get a 64 bit again I will come back to this thread. I had no luck finding at the time. Given your link is on the HP site I have no idea why I couldn't find it.

Nov 8, 09 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
scottyvalentine

Oh and TaliesinAGG,

I've been using revit for a while; I never really knew what all the buttons were called but just what they did. Then they went and changed the interface on me. I would advise that you make sure you are learning using 2010 so this isn't a problem for you. However from what I hear it's only taking people about 2 weeks to adjust to, however I'm not using it much these days. Finally after about 10 or more years of trying I learnt 3D Studio Max, starting to get fairly comfortable with it now.

I believe that to be able to take the design capabilities of these software packages to a level where they are just not drafting or presentation tools for us, we need to know as much as we can about them and know many packages. That why we know how the tool works and we know how to approach something to produce the exact outcome we are after, not just a representation of an idea.

Nov 8, 09 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
scottyvalentine

Oh and I believe facebook is an underutilised design tool. Sort of like having a virtual studio and all your friends (where ever they are) can assist you with the design process.

Nov 8, 09 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

Just starting learning Revit 2010 myself as it seems like most offices are moving in this direction and hopefully adding it to my resume will at least get me an interview. Managed to find quite a few "e-book resources" to get me started although the installation process on Vista was a bit of a nightmare.

Only thing that bothers me so far is the navigation in 3D view. You would think after adjusting to Maya, Rhino, etc it would be easy but I feel like the key + mouse commands are a little awkward. Seeing that it's an Autodesk product and uses the same 'viewcube' as Maya is it to much to ask for it to have the same 3D navigation?

Nov 8, 09 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
TheRevitKid

WOOHOO! Congratulations... I am glad you gave it a shot and took a step back.

Feel free to check out my blog for videos and email me with any really troubling obstacles you run into and might not be able to find anywhere else:

www.therevitkid.com

[email protected]

With AutoCAD you can learn the basics and draft in 2D without needing to learn the rest of the program. With Revit you can see many more of the advantages when you KNOW the program inside and out.

Nov 8, 09 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

revkid,..I looked at your site again the other day...I have to commend you on the content....looks good and is very helpful.

Nov 9, 09 3:03 am  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

I love Revit! I admit that when I started using it 2-1/2yrs ago I had some issues with stepping away from Acad as anyone else will stepping away from whatever program you are using and toward whatever NEW program you are going to use...weather its Revit or Bentley or Microstation....etc.

It takes patience but after your first project has been completed you will kicking yourself for not making the effort to discovering revit sooner. There is alot of front end build into the program (creating new ways in which to look at your office standards, setting up families, ETC)

Try not to be so negative about your mishaps...you may find you get better results with a positive outlook...and maybe even some help from people who want to help people who actually know the program.

In my n00b year I spent alot of time in the revitcity chat rooms learning what I know now and even sometimes now helping newer n00bs find the wai. I love the program...I actually find it fun to model, and create CD's now!!! YAY!

Nov 9, 09 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

EDIT ABOVE ^^^
*** and maybe even some help from people who want to help...like myself!

Nov 9, 09 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
archiTEKE

AND TaliesinAGG - Good for you! Keep it up!

Nov 9, 09 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
TheRevitKid

Thanks ff33... I put a lot of effort into the blog and it really has been paying off for me and for the hundreds of thousands of people that now visit it...

I think there was a void in the type of content I produce and a Revit site catering towards students...

Nov 9, 09 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
niro

yo rivkid, good job w/ the site, i am sure i'll check back often.

Nov 9, 09 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
TaliesinAGG

Revit Kid...glad my posts here could be used for your site..I will do my best to keep you posted with my progress....thanks again to all for the encouragement, help and sugeestions!

Nov 9, 09 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
TheRevitKid

Taliesin,

I am glad you gave Revit and BIM a chance. Most definitely keep me updated... your story is very similar to many users I am sure.

- Jeff

www.TheRevitKid.com

Nov 11, 09 8:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: