Archinect
anchor

Architecture and Controlled Space

mk2

I'm looking into doing some research on the theme of control and architecture/planning.. possibly as a tangible force/object, or something more psychological/metaphysical..

(ie greater control = greater predictability of behavior/less flexibility)

or maybe this premise is wrong in that controlled space starts from the idea for flexibility and rapid transformation (Sze Tsung Leong)

I did a search on some past threads--i think the topic is related with ideas of fear, touching on some anti-capitalism, anarchist themes.

But any other essays/books and thoughts would be greatly appreciated..

Oct 30, 09 7:41 am
hematophobia

maybe archigram regarding accidents and chance occurances
and oma cctv building. they are both about less control though i guess

Oct 30, 09 8:17 am  · 
 · 
DC Editor

Check out Dan Lockton's excellent blog, Design With Intent, though it does cover more than architecture.

Oct 30, 09 9:16 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

Psychological - control in architecture:

Check Colominas book on Loos and Corb - good examples of how the Raumplan has in some of Loos' designs control at its core.
-
The ideas connect in a pretty straightforward way to the Panopticon.

Then there's Foucault with prison, clinic- architecture and territorial control.

-

Control in design:
Chance operations, Cage, ...

Oct 30, 09 9:17 am  · 
 · 
ryanj

I like this quote from Joshua Prince-Ramus:

"The best thing I ever heard someone say when I was at graduate school was "Great things happen in terrible buildings and terrible things happen in great buildings". If you think as an architect that you can pre-determine experience, you are hoping for something that's just not going to happen. The idea that a designer is creating their perfect vision which no one is supposed to touch. I'm completely shocked by that. How weirdly perverse for an architect to even want that - I can imagine wanting to retain the intellectual property of the first iteration and I would love for a client to want to come talk to me about changing it. But the idea of imposing no changes without my approval I find really bizarre. Yet that is the status quo right now."

I differ with him slightly and believe that yes, to some extent one can control user experience. He's right though. It is very cliche right now.

Oct 30, 09 6:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: