Archinect
anchor

ASU Shooting

le bossman

Supposedly a student committed suicide in a professor's office in the college of design at ASU. Does anyone know exactly what happened? Was anyone else hurt?

Oct 26, 09 8:51 pm
liberty bell

Holy crap. How awful.

Listen, ASU students, and all architecture students out there: it is really, really hard but please don't let the demands push you this far. Colleges always have counseling centers, it is amazing how much it helps to go talk to someone just to vent when you're really feeling overwhelmed by it all. I did it in grad school; talked to a counselor for 4-5 sessions and it really put my obsessive work habits and my self-conscious fears of inadequacy into a much clearer perspective.

Please, please if anyone else is feeling like they might snap go talk to someone who who is trained to lend a sympathetic, productive hand. There's nothing wrong with taking a break, either - I did that for a year, too, and came back a stronger student.

ASU students, hang in there and support each other.

Oct 26, 09 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I took a break and it was sooo much better when I came back that I wished I had done it years earlier. It's never too late to take a break, though. Never. You fear that somehow it's going to totally set you back but instead just the opposite happens.

Oct 26, 09 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
Horn.MP

I second LB's endorsement of taking advantage of counseling centers. I went almost every week while I was finishing my undergraduate degree and have stopped in a few times while in grad school and I quite literally owe my life to the people that work there.

Isn't it time for an honest discussion about the demands put on students? I haven't been able to find any but the most basic details about what happened but it seems that the student was in his upper-50's so I expect that he had already taken time off or had decided to pursue architecture after working in another field. In either case, it points to the general lack of support which universities give to their students' mental health. I've seen several fellow classmates self-destruct (thankfully never as seriously as what happened at ASU) and the university has made token steps towards acknowledging this; requiring students to keep a diary of their eating habits and other self-awareness pap, but real discussions on the issue never make it beyond general complaints and placations.

Across the board, universities are seeing an up-tic in students with metal health issues and in a major as stressful as architecture I feel that having a defined plan to help students cope with the metal burden should be standard. Does anyone know if NAAB is making any moves to address this?

Fellow students - Until they do, when it gets to be to much, please talk to someone. We've all been there to some degree and know how you're feeling. We're probably feeling it too.

Oct 26, 09 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

the guy was 59, a grad student, and doing well in all classes, so who knows what went through his mind.

Oct 27, 09 8:16 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

yeah, i don't really think this has anything to do with the demands put on students. sometimes people just flip out.

Oct 27, 09 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i mean, hey, if i can make it through ASU, anyone can

Oct 27, 09 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: