Archinect
anchor

Studio Life: Killing Yourself to Live?

Kirk Wooller

How many myths are perpetuated in your studio, under the banner of some masochistic self-pride(-doubt)?

“Architectural education should require personal and physical sacrifice”
“The best students are those who spend the most hours in studio”
“It is possible to learn about complex social and cultural issues while spending the majority of time sitting at a studio desk”

An article from Inside Higher Ed, "New Blueprint for Architecture", shows that some architecture schools may finally be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel... that's not an oncoming train.

Oct 19, 09 12:44 pm
FrankLloydMike

I, for one, think late nights in studio were fun. Sure there were times when you'd be there all night and very stressed out, but most of the time it was a fun, communal, sociable atmosphere as well as one of work and creativity. Some of the best times I had in college were late nights in studio--I doubt many English majors would say the same about late nights in a library.

Oct 19, 09 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Helsinki

Architecture is one of the profassions where during school you can really push yourself and challenge yourself - nothing bad about that.

The studios should be designed in a way that does not require total self-sacrifice from the students, though.

Oct 20, 09 3:08 am  · 
 · 
mental

"studio is all that matters, all the other classes are for sleeping"
"cost is a four letter word"
"everyone who doesnt understand architecture is an idiot"
"a good explanation is better than a good building"

Oct 21, 09 10:13 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I'm not advocating unrealistic expectations or unhealthy work loads, and I think Helsinki is spot on in saying that studio design matters, but I think the studio environment with a substantial, but not crushing workload can be a wonderful place to learn, discover, create and socialize.

Oct 21, 09 10:55 am  · 
 · 
jplourde

Any thoughts on the upcoming 'Archiculture' documentary?

Oct 23, 09 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Jeremy Till's Architecture Depends gets into this a bit. I think are definitely aspects of architectural culture that are a matter of tradition and reinforcing certain power-structures more than actually teaching good architecture.

Oct 23, 09 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
hovsepyan

not so sure if one can teach architecture - studio is your time to explore and learn on your own while being guided by an instructor.

i do agree that all the junk food and all nighters are extremely bad for u... architecture's funny in that sense - it's physically the most unhealthy major and mentally the most healthy. u gotta find a balance

Oct 24, 09 3:42 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

agfa8x, could you elaborate on this:
"aspects of architectural culture that are a matter of tradition and reinforcing certain power-structures more than actually teaching good architecture." ?

You mean studio-culture, or teaching architecture in general or what?

Oct 26, 09 3:23 am  · 
 · 
Distant Unicorn

So... no one else at all in academia pulls in long hours?

PUSSIES.

Oct 26, 09 3:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: