Archinect
anchor

Any awesome designed music stores or venue spaces???

vyan

Hey guys
i was wondering if you guys know any awesome designed music/record stores or venue spaces? maybe a store/record store with also venue spaces embedded into the program?

some types of record/music stores

vinyl shops
genre-specific label distributors

let me know of any great finds!
thanks in advance

May 18, 09 5:38 am
vado retro

Here's where I find my original, not rereleased, Frank Zappa Here!

May 18, 09 8:16 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hahaha this is totally not what you're looking for, but here it is. In 1992 I helped design Portland's northwest location of Music Millenium.

Everything was painted deep purple, with red velvet curtains, casework all painted gold. The then-fledgling Rejuvenation supplied over a dozen used brass chandeliers that they rewired and cleaned up; we hung them at varying heights all around the space. The classical music room was painted sky blue, with salvage yard lead glass windows allowing glimpses into it from the dark rest of the store.

More images

It looks so grungy and adorable to me now, 17 years later! I read in looking for these pictures, sadly, that the NW location is closed as of August; the eastside (original) store remains open, thankfully.

May 18, 09 9:08 am  · 
 · 
PodZilla

It's probably no where near what you're looking for, but Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ is my favorite record store still extant. Their collection is so vast I do the 30 minute plus drive down the Parkway to get there and often spend an hour digging thru their used section to find hidden gems.

Vintage Vinyl

I mean, where else are you going to find Flight of the Concords on vinyl, in stock?

May 18, 09 9:34 am  · 
 · 
ear xtacy

in louisville is a huge rambling multi-level place with lots of natural light, somewhat organically zoned areas, and a general funky feel that nicely complements the natural/comprehensible organization of the place. somehow they've made it easy to both find what you want AND accidentally stumble onto something you didn't know you needed to hear. key to the design is that it's a great big non-specific space in a unique and recognizable shell that's allowed it to become a community landmark. all they did, really, is empty out three adjacent storefronts and install next-to-no finishes.

it's turned into exactly what you've described: a music store that is also a venue. my morning jacket introduced their last album there to a crowd of 500+, playing right in the middle of the jazz section. staff just moved stuff out of the way.

key in a music store OR a venue, often, is that the music takes precedence over the design-factor. the shell is important, so that the place has an identity, but the space needs to be transformable - and not in any pre-conceived over-designed Transformer way. too heavy a hand, you end up with an Experience Music Project or a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. the people running the place will likely resist the 'authority' of what you propose to give them, anyway, and will work to erase it through stapling up of flyers and promotional materials. your job is more to allow anything than to prescribe anything. maybe think of the interior as a surface that will become encrusted with stuff - because it would.

May 18, 09 10:08 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Three alliterative record stores so far. Any more? ;-)

The used record store i liked in college was named Roads to Moscow, which is a cool name though I'm not a fan of the song.

May 18, 09 10:15 am  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

record stores are in the same categories as bars for me: the less refined, less they seem to have been designed as opposed to evolving or rambling, the better. some design can be good, but I think this can come in beautiful casework, lighting, etc in a music store for example. One of my favorite record stores, in terms of space, was this little place in Brattleboro, Vermont: there was a long, narrow room in the front full of records and cds, then a few steps up in the back that lead to a long hall, off of which were interconnecting rooms all filled with art by different local artists, and the occasional stereo for sale. I like what Steven says about the importance of the shell. I think a good example of that, and I hate to ruin the alternative record store dominance on here, is Gehry's Tower Records building in Boston:

May 18, 09 10:26 am  · 
 · 
skeez

that boston record store is now a best buy

May 18, 09 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
Pretty decent amphitheater

design by god*

*which can mean laramide orogeny if you prefer.

May 18, 09 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Well, Grimey's + The Basement is a really famous combination vinyl store/venue here in Nashville. Lots of really popular bands play surprise shows there.

Not exactly notable in the architectural sense, though!

May 18, 09 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

guys, i greatly appreciate your participation in this forum. I ask these questions because I am having trouble reporgramming the Sunset Blvd Tower Records here in Los Angeles.

As you know, the Tower Records may not be the official flagship store, BUT..it has become a landmark to the residents here in Los Angeles and a cultural landmark. Musicians said it was the first stop whenever they come to LA. There were famous impromptu concerts but all of these are gone since the bankruptcy of Tower Records. Now it has been bought by a developer and now is currently being occupied by a High end clothing store.

So i pose the same question to you, what you you do reinvigorate the historic landmark back to its original settings ( famous hang out spot, place to shop for rare music, famous impromptus in the parking lot, etc. etc) ?

of course, more exciting record designs are always welcomed. I am mainly looking for a tangible programmatic record store that i can use as a boost point.

May 18, 09 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
treebeard

jk3hl-
i know grimey's! a gem of place to have in a city like nashville.

May 18, 09 3:02 pm  · 
 · 

that's a lot of pressure to put on architecture, especially if the existing architecture is already there and already good and still nothing's happened.

if the place is going to be cool, something cool has to happen there, like, say, get steve jones (former sex pistol now la dj) or nick harcourt (kcrw host) to set up shop there to dj and host live sets.

i guess the architect could bring the glassed-in sound booth facing the sidewalk to the equation....

May 18, 09 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike
So i pose the same question to you, what you you do reinvigorate the historic landmark back to its original settings ( famous hang out spot, place to shop for rare music, famous impromptus in the parking lot, etc. etc) ?

I'd say not much. Not to be defeatist, but I think architects have a pretty poor record of accomplishing this. That's not to say that it can't or hasn't been done, but it's rare, and when tried, it rarely works. I'd say better to let it become a clothing store and let the cool hang outs emerge. After all, it's pretty hard for architecture to do anything impromptu.

May 18, 09 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
FrankLloydMike

I should clarify: I don't think you, or architects, in general should avoid trying to improve communities, create dynamic spaces, or bolster worthwhile activities and areas, but it sounds like the case here is one of gentrification in a sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a former iconic record store is now a clothing boutique, and you want to propose something to return it to its grittier, and no doubt more interesting incarnation under a new developer? Maybe a new developer would be receptive to ideas about a more dynamic use than simply a clothing store, but my guess is that the community is different, and the architecture won't change this. At best, you might end up with an Urban Outfitters-type idea. The problem with interesting, democratic spaces in cities, vibrant neighborhoods, or even just interesting stores is that they are transient: last decade's artist enclave is this decade's trendy strip of boutiques and luxury apartments. That's not to say that there shouldn't be a place for both of those things, just that it's very hard to try to reclaim a place in the city for a former purpose, even when it's a very iconic place.

May 18, 09 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
hillandrock

I know of a bunch of good music stores (even good chain music stores) but they are all out of business now.

So, I'm sure you can define them as good?

But every single Virgin Megastore I have been to has been spot on.

May 18, 09 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
innes

Zulu records in Vancouver's Kits, "Record Store and Community Centre since 1981"
http://www.zulurecords.com/

May 18, 09 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

you could check out Worm@VOC in Rotterdam by 2012architecten and various artists

It's in a national monument from the Renaissance period (or after) and everything is made from reclaimed and recycled materials while the original structure had to stay intact.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2012architecten/sets/72157594181332176/show/with/248980842/

May 18, 09 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

impromptu- as in designing spaces for impromptu concerts

hillandrock, care you explain some of the virgin megastores that were spot on?

May 18, 09 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
hillandrock

They're all closed. The one in Orlando was to die for.

It looks shoddy during the day... but all the glass lights up at night and brings the building to life.

The one in Hollywood was excellent as well.

They all have pretty amazing architecture... bordering even a little on theme parkish.

The use of Vegas styled facade lighting is always dramatic. In a way, the excessive branding feels almost a little Coca-cola-ish... extreme but conservative.

The color choices also blow me away. It's a hodge-podge of 'cool, modern' colors always heavily contrasted with C0M90Y90K10 Red (My favorite) and off black.

And their use of oversized commercial art has always been appealing-- as some working in graphic design, the ability to obtain prints that high quality, at that resolution and at that size is absolutely puzzling.

They generally also have good segregated interiors... you know, almost like a Macy's of music stores where every group has their own area. That's why I always liked Virgin... but I can't imagine the amount of money it must take to keep one of these monsters afloat.

May 18, 09 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

i like the idea of a records store and a community center.

except i would like to convert into a community center for day time use
and then a lounge/music bar for night time use. No more retailing sale, i think i have to admit that it has succumb to the digital age of MP3s.

trying to find an urban design and instore design that can offer to both time specifications.

i like the idea with GRIMEYS that their backyard is used for concerts and i think the Tower Record Parking lots offers quite amount of space to do it. well of course, it did do it, but I would like to use a design of retaining walls to set up more specific programmatic designs. Although i wont Design so specifically , it would be just a enclosed area that would SUGGEST where a concert can be hold OR (!) for informal public gatherings.

i like your comments steven ward

May 18, 09 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i think it'll be difficult to compete with the monstrous collection of amoeba records just several blocks down. The streets around amoeba are nowadays more lively than the sunset strip part of town: where tower records is. part of amoeba's success, aside from the large music selection, i think can be attributed to the surrounding complementary programs: there's just more things happening on that block. whereas, the glory days of whisky a-go-go and roxy have gone into slumber.

i totally agree that music takes precedence over the design-factor. it truly is about the collection and the cool stuff on the walls. to go even further, even the cools stuff on the walls is not neccessary for me: i occasionally look for records in goodwill stores. one of my favorite record stores from my junior high school days was in the most banal looking building. the circulation was strange. the parking lot was in the back alley and you walk into a doorway, through a hallway. the record store is directly to the left of the hallway but is partitioned with those wooden lattice you use in gardens....so you get a peak of the store. as you continue walking you enter another doorway and you're suddenly outside again...at the front of the store, facing the street...(where it's bright again). i usually enter from the front but the first time i used the back/alley route...i flipped out a little bit when i ended up outside as i was expecting to be indoors the whole time i entered the back door.

anyways, that place had the most addicting collection of imported records...the ones that weren't wrapped in tight shrink wrap but loose plastic.

for tower records, if it was my project, i'd place something that is momentary and fleeting.

May 19, 09 1:00 am  · 
 · 
vyan

some good points

what would you put as momentary and fleeting?

May 19, 09 1:32 am  · 
 · 
vyan

anymore ideas guys?

May 21, 09 12:45 am  · 
 · 
Emilio

this one is just a big warehouse space, but it's what's inside it that counts...

amoeba in haight-ashbury, san fran

the sign is pretty cool

May 21, 09 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
stefjam

i'd agree the gritty rockdom of the strip has been long gone. the blocks surrounding tower now cater more to the star fuckers, bros & bro hoes from the valley and oc, and the occasional actual star. it's tricky surviving in that area. that club XIV (was shelter just before) on the corner of crescent heights/sunset has shifted ownership like 5 times in the past few years.

so is the new developer looking to change it from a clothing boutique back into a music outlet? combo shops are pretty popular right now. the crowd that hangs out in that area might be into a combo music/clothing venue. local designers' clothes sold alongside local and pop music. i'm sure this has been done elsewhere, but can't think of specific examples at the moment.

May 21, 09 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

thanks for those suggestions

i like the amoeba stores

i think for the resuscitation of tower records in my project will not be converted into a record store anymore because amoeba is right down the street. is that a good idea? I propose to change it into a music community center instead.

May 23, 09 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

Check out Bengt Sjostrom Starlight Theatre by Studio Gang

http://www.studiogang.net/projects_a1.htm

there's a cool video of the roof opening if u scroll to the bottom

May 24, 09 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
stefjam
I propose to change it into a music community center instead.

That would be awesome. You should check out the Silverlake Conservatory of Music to get ideas. It's a non-profit started by Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers. Their primary focus is giving music lessons to children and they even offer scholarships to those in financial need. It's been a successful venue in my neighborhood for quite a few years now. We need more places like this in our city, especially as music and arts programs continue to get cut from school budgets.

http://www.silverlakeconservatory.com/index.php

May 25, 09 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

thanks thanks guys!!

ooooooo

such awesome ideas!

for the interior design, i wanted to emphasize the surface as much as possible. do you guys have any ideas?

for clearer specifics, i wanted to use the surface that can be used in many ways, just not just for haning flyers or posters, or whatever, but the wall surfaces could "flow" into a chair, or become a booth space to be played, or create a bigger venue space.

hopefully this makes more sense. any designs that you guys know of that is similar to what i want?

May 28, 09 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
stefjam

you mean a modular interior style that allows you to re-work the space according to different uses for different events?

maybe you can create multiple interior zones. personally, i'm freakin obsessed with panelite and other translucent colored materials (a long held fascination of mine has been the interplay of light and color in different environments). i like how materials like that can act more as a buffer rather than a wall. the transparency of the material visually provides enough openness for continuity throughout the space, while structurally providing the opportunity to section things off. (do i sound like a sales person for panelite here? haha)

anyways, you got me thinking... and now i kind of (and by kind of, i mean totally) want to work on this project!

May 28, 09 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

you can say that. i think itll be a good idea to make it modular since it should function as a community space and then for a venue space if needed.

any examples of this kind of work?

May 28, 09 10:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: