Archinect
anchor

need introductory books - particularly floor plans

melany

hey, im looking to learn some architecture and was wondering what introductory books you would recommend. i tried looking through the "books" section on this site but so far i haven't found what i'm looking for.

first and foremost, i need something specifically explaining how to make floor plans for buildings of all scales. ideally the book should include an index of all floor plan symbols.

i'm also looking for stuff explaining fundamentals to making a building that would actually stand -- i.e. column support, the right construction material, and all that stuff

any general introductory books would also be great

thanks!

Apr 28, 09 10:15 pm

melany, nobody's been answering because the things for which you're asking are things people spend years learning - not things which tend to be gathered up in individual all-inclusive books.

that said, you might get SOME of what you're looking for in Architectural Graphic Standards. It's more of a general encyclopedia of things architecture-types deal with on a semi-regular basis.

the problem with 'learning some architecture' is, as most students of arch would tell you, that the beginning of an architecture curriculum is cathartic/immersive, not something into which you dip a toe.

Apr 29, 09 8:01 am  · 
 · 
LucasGray

the Fundamentals of Building Construction by Ed Allen is also a useful reference book but I completely agree with the post above. If you really want to "learn some architecture" go to architecture school. Or if that isn't what you are looking for read some history of architecture books or some architectural theory. You aren't going to learn architecture by learning how to read or draw plans.

Apr 29, 09 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
melany

ty mates

now im off to the pub to jump a horse

May 5, 09 9:07 pm  · 
 · 

also check out "why buildings stand up" and "why buildings fall down". good intros to structure.

you can find them on amazon.

May 5, 09 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: