Archinect
anchor

LIVE from TEDx USC

Hi everyone....

I'm here at USC and today we have a very special event: TEDx USC. The "x" means that it's an independently organized TED event, and it is the first of it's kind: an experiment, a "mini-TED", sort of like a baby TED, if you will.

The details are here and an article about one of our presenters is here on CNN.

Unfortunately, I am hampered by a couple of things today that will prevent me from blogging the entire time: 1) my computer battery (no outlet access) and 2) I cut my finger this morning which is making typing extremely difficult (nothing to worry about, just a deep papercut :o/) ... so it won't be quite as up to the minute as GRAVITY FREE was last year, but I'll do my best.

Questions, comments? Let me know!

Mar 23, 09 4:02 pm

OMG I just sat 20' away from Melissa Etheridge as she sang a new song! With her friend and Muslim rock star Salman Ahmad!

Stupid iPhone camera and its lack of flash....

Anyway, sorry I'm doing such a terrible job at this. Battery is at 40% and finger still in tournaquet :o(

We've also seen Jane Poytner from Biosphere 2 and Paul Debevec, who apparently helped Brad Pitt look like Benjamin Button, plus some others. I'll post a couple of the original TED talks later on so you can see what we saw!

Off to get a cookie.

Mar 23, 09 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

Ok, so clearly you guys have better things to do so I'm just going to post the talks that I think you should see.

First, Elizabeth Gilbert on a different way to think about creative genius. Those of you who beat yourself up about being creative, do all-nighters, etc. shoudl really check this one out.

Mar 24, 09 12:29 am  · 
 · 

This one is a good one by Juan Enriquez about the "big reboot" and what it might be. It's good because the first half of the talk is devoted to our current financial crisis and the implications of that, and then he discusses what might get us out of it.

Mar 24, 09 12:41 am  · 
 · 

Finally, you should really watch this short talk by Aimee Mullins about her prosthetic legs. All 12 pairs of them!

Mar 24, 09 12:50 am  · 
 · 

Now that I've successfully talked to myself for an entire day, I'm going to hit it. Tomorrow's blog post should be interesting....

Mar 24, 09 12:58 am  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

Thanks for the posts, Emily!
wish i could be there!

Mar 24, 09 12:52 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah,
Emily thanks..

Mar 24, 09 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: