Archinect
anchor

MSRED vs M.Arch/MBA

Largetexas

Hello, I was recenty accepted in Cornell's Masters in Real Estate program. While initially excited, I am now freaked out that I might have pursued the wrong program for my interest/passions having just became aware of the Yale M.Arch/MBA combo. Ughhhh! Quick background: I've worked as an entrepreneurial retail real estate broker for the last 5 years. The part of RE I love is the conceptualization/creation. Much of the work I've done has been for little profit, but has helped revitalize neglected and historicly significant urban areas in my city. My background is in art. I majored in studio art/painting as an undergrad and love creating and working collaboratively. Real estate development, to me, is exciting because it's creation on a large scale effecting, hopefully, positive change in the built environment. My goal is to form a development company that specializes in architecturally significant urban infill and mixed-income, mixed use developments.

Has anyone gone through either the MSRED or M.Arch/MBA program? Any advice for a confused lover of art, architecture, and development?

Thanks so much!

Mar 7, 09 10:18 am

I would go the way of MArch/MBA or MArch/MSRED. That way you could design the buildings yourself. I'm pretty sure that there are several programs that make that pairing. Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that both UPenn and Columbia do.

Mar 7, 09 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I'd go for the full MArch too. I am pretty much learning as I go now, but have considered going back for a MBA in RE. Get them both done at the same time, if you can.

I'd call Yale, Columbia and others and explain your situation. While probably not flexible with deadlines, you might be able to get on a waiting list, particularly if you have good credentials (the MBA I am looking at requires 10 years of professional experience, so not sure what other would require).

Mar 7, 09 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

thats MArch/MBA or MArch/MSRED

Mar 7, 09 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
sectionalhealing

you could save yourself some cash and do a MArch/DIY MBA:

http://personalmba.com/

Mar 9, 09 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

large,
Cornell has a v good architectural program. Considering you already have a design background maybe taking a handful of studios is enough. Maybe some basic history classes. But I dont think the return on getting MArch is so great considering you will have a MSRED + undergrad arts degree.

Perhaps you could do some kind of accelerated, v design heavy Master of Design type program?

In the end, its just a matter bout getting to the point where you feel comfortable designing.

Jun 28, 09 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
greenlander1

oh also,
while I dunno how it is at other schools, if you are sure real estate and built env't is yr thing, and you are pretty sure you wont go into something totally different like ibanking or marketing tech products etc. I hear that the MBA while good on paper is too general of education for RE. Like you prob wont find an approvals, or construction/ project management class, real estate asset management class in b-school that would be as speicific as youd find in MSRED program. I know ppl who are doing combo MRED/ MBA at USC and they complain that the MBA education is way too general and not applicalbe enough to real estate.

Jun 28, 09 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
JennImme

I was wondering, for those who are studying in architecture and or already architects, did you happen to obtain any other degrees such as an MBA, etc while pursuing your architecture degree? Currently I am interesting in an online mba program. I will be transferring into a B.A program as a junior and I want to diverse myself for more options later on life. So for those are obtaining/obtained an MBA, what was/is the process and years it took/will take to get it? Any architecture pursuing medical school after? engineering?

What other degrees would you get to diverse yourself in the field?

Oct 20, 10 5:49 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

Large,

I agree with the sentiments expressed about about the MBA being a more generalized degree than the MRED. The MBA gives the holder more career flexibility over the course of a career; the MRED is more focused.

If one knows with certainty that one wants to pursue real estate development for an entire career, the MRED probably is the better choice. However, if one wants the capacity to move between industries and hold a variety of different job types over the span of a career, the MBA will be better preparation for that.

Good luck.

Oct 20, 10 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

JennImmi:

I hold an MBA, but I earned it six years after completing my architecture degree, working in an office in between and completing the ARE during that time. Given the demands of each program, I cannot imagine getting full value from either program by pursuing both degrees simultaneously.

Oct 20, 10 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

First of all, I havn't posted here since I was a blogger during school 5+ years ago....so hello Archinect. Wonder if there are any old timers here?

I have a MARCH/MBA degree that I received concurrently at Texas Tech University from 99-2005. Ridiculously short amount of time for both I know.

@ quizzical-While I'm currently 6ish years out of school and currently completing the ARE I could also say that trying to complete an MBA at this time would certainly diminish the full value of it.

My point is that is that education is much more about what you put into it. There are a million places to pursue an MBA if you just want the piece of paper. You will get more out of your MBA if you bring real world knowledge and experience into it and have some time to devote to networking etc. I wouldn't get too caught up in the acronyms, because alone they won't do you much good.

I had always planned on working as an arch intern, getting my license then using my MBA to work my way closer to the developing side of things. We'll see how that works out. Anyone tried it?

Oct 21, 10 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
johnricky

quizzical- Theoretically speaking,  MBA is not an generalized degree; if taught  rightly it is by all standards a complete professional degree. In fact, business schools like HOWARD have proven this fact by churning out business student who transformed management techniques and raised efficiency level. We should blame pedagogical technique used in business institutions for making MBA a generalized degree more than the degree itself. With the advent of online MBA schools, one would earnestly hope that exclusive identity of MBA degrees would be preserved meticulously.

Oct 26, 11 9:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: