Archinect
anchor

M.Arch applicants at A&M, UTA, UH--thoughts?

richard bassett

Almost four weeks since applications were in and I need some feedback, even if from fellow applicants. I applied to A&M, UH, UTA for the M.Arch career change program. I decided not to apply to Rice (too expensive) and UT (took my gre on the 13th of January). A&M is ranked higher, but UTA, and especially UH, are in the city (internships and jobs) and may have other strengths.

Has anyone heard if these schools have had more or less apps than normal?

I would be interested to know of profs. who would be good 100,000 sf plus commercial planning mentors.

Feedback from current or recent grad students would be helpful to the thread.

Feb 25, 09 1:04 pm
tagalong

Not to be offensive but your question about the 100,000 sqft. commercial planning is a little misguided i think.

In grad school (hopefully) your professors will teach you how to think like a designer. That thought process you will then apply to any given scenario, be it a kitchen sink, or a large scale commercial planning project.

I would look into who your potential professors would be, you can even email and/or call them, they won't mind, and ask them what they want their students to get out of their courses, what types of projects they've had their studios do in the past, is there anyway to see some of that work?

Then see what you like best.

Feb 26, 09 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
richard bassett

Sounds like good advice. I have been working under principles on specific kinds of planning projects, and was hoping to continue that after I graduate. I think my question needs to be much more detailed if it is not to sound misguided--so please disregard it all together for now. I will have to do the foot work myself. I thought the same thing when I was asking it to tell you the truth!

Update: I just emailed a couple of advisors to see if apps. were up or down...

Feb 26, 09 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
narmer

I'm sorry you didn't pursue Rice, I have always known them to be quite generous with financial aid/fellowships. I've got friends and family that went to UH and I always observed that they had a lot of active practicing architects on the faculty, some of whom may be type of prof. you are seeking.

Feb 26, 09 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
richard bassett

Exactly! Houston has a number of top notch architects that, if on the staff, would be a great resource for students. Too late to rethink Rice for me. But for applicants next year, does anyone know the average grants and fellowship that Rice M.Arch students get, and if that makes up for the $30,000 plus extra cost?

Feb 26, 09 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
richard bassett

Update: All the information I got was the vague "all departments and programs are seeing large increases in application numbers for fall 2009 admission", whatever that means?

Feb 27, 09 11:59 am  · 
 · 
NoSleep

I have heard that Rice gives large scholarships.

My assumption is "all departments and programs are seeing large increases in application..." means that since no one is hiring, all the b.s. arch and b. arch and other graduates are applying to the programs, which will make the positions very competitive.

I applied to Rice 3 years ago (never completed the application), and I received a letter that only 12 students were admitted to the program.

I applied to UTA, UT Austin, UTSA and UO. Got into UTA and UTSA. My portfolio was horrible, now that I look back at it.

I'm at UTSA right now. The program has some flaws, but there are some great professors at the school, and they typically let you choose your interest of study and choose the professor(s) to lead you.

I know that there was a 66% acceptance rate at UTSA for M.Arch career change when I applied (2 years ago). I've heard the applications have dramatically increased, so the acceptance rate is much lower. UTSA admitted 15 career change students last year.

Please forgive the pessimism on acceptance, but my point is that it is good to spread the risk by applying to numerous schools.

Feb 27, 09 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
richard bassett

Sorry not to have included UTSA in the heading. I could only choose four schools to send my GRE to (I picked Rice, UTA, UH, A&M). I don't know too much about the other three. We could make this a Texas M.Arch forum and include A&M Prairie View and UT as well.

Topics:

-How much are apps. up this year; 10%, 50% 100%?

-What is the average scholarship/grant of Rice M.Arch students and how does that compare to a public student's scholarship/grant (I assume I will get at least a couple grand a semester)?

-Thoughts on Texas M.Arch programs--especially UTA, UH, A&M?

Feb 27, 09 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
EdgewoodAnimal

I went to Rice, and while I don't know the average scholarship amount, I can say that it was not uncommon for people to get half or full tuition stipends. They also had well funded traveling studios that went to South America and Asia - the bulk of which was paid for by the school. Additionally, they gave out quite a bit of money in individual travel prizes. I think I heard last year the total just in that was around $175K for the entire student population in the school of architecture.

As a comparison, Rice's offer to me was probably $12K better than UTAustin's.

Feb 27, 09 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
tagalong

richard, if your referring to the initial four schools you select at the end of the GRE, you can request to have your scores sent to other schools at a later point....back when I was applying to schools, I sent them off to 13 schools...

Feb 27, 09 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
richard bassett

According to applyforadmission.com Rice's freshman (couldn't get anything on M.Arch so let's extrapolate) get on average $7.4K in scholarships. For comparison TAMU students get $3.3K. Grad school at Rice is about $26K for 18 hours, and TAMU is $6.6K for the same 18 hours. Each year Rice, including scholarships, is $18.6K, and A&M is $3.3K. Now lets sum it all up: that is approx. $15.3K a year more for Rice in tuition & fees alone. Over two years that is $30.6K, and over three that is $45.9K--yikes! For those of you who get full rides, go to Rice. I figured on the average scholarship, and was afraid of getting into Rice and accepting with all the debt that goes with it. I avoided the dilemma by not applying to Rice.

To each their own. Rice is a very good school, but did not seem right for me. On a side bar, although I wouldn't like to tell the world my exact GRE, GPA, and bra size--I did get higher than the Rice average in at least the first category.

13 schools, wow! Yes, I know one can apply to more schools at $20 bucks a pop. I think it is becoming apparent that I am frugal, but in light of economic conditions is that so bad? Although, if I get rejected at the three I applied to I will wish I had!

Feb 27, 09 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
EdgewoodAnimal

I think the graduate students get alot more than $7.4K, and this is just my opinion, but you won't get the same 18 hours at TAMU that you will at Rice.

Feb 28, 09 2:29 am  · 
 · 
ichweiB

I graduated from UH MArch program. I also went to school in Europe for a year, and now i teach at UH in the undergrad program. UH is a Design school. You'll have the option to take courses in digifab, advanced modeling in rhino+grasshopper, Maya, etc... Your first syear will be Fall+Spring+Summer. That summer, you'll do a Design Build Project. You will design it in the Spring and build it in the Summer. Our project is off 59 at Kirby at the Girl Scouts Building. It's an entry canopy to the building.

Cord Bowen and David Tsai teach the first year and you'll get a great design foundation from them. Both have unique experiences. David is an Industrial Designer and teaches studios in the schools Industrial Design Program as well. Cord was educated at UH and Parsons in NY and is a very talented guy.

Your second year will be highly theoretical and speculative in the nature of projects. The first year is set up to teach you design and presentation skills, and the second year deals with none of this. It'll be up to you how well you choose to present your work. Bruce is interested in ideas:he'll let you explore and experiment with anything you want, but it will be up to you as to how far you take it and how you choose to develop your ideas.

You'll design two buildings your third year. The first semester is a comprehensive studio: you'll be asked to develop how a building works comprehensively(obvious) and then back it up with section models, drawings, etc...Then you'll design a Thesis project the second semester. In the Fall, you write your Thesis proposal and like I said, design it in the Spring.

UH's shop is great. It was recently completed next door to our school, and you would have great resources to design and fabricate things. 3D printing, routing, vacuum forming, etc... I believe the larger router is up and running this semester and will take up to about 8' of material...I can check Monday on that and let you know. There is also all kinds of of tools to use. It's great if you are interested in digital fabrication. I used the 3d printer and router a great deal my final semester.

Anyhow, hope that helps. Good luck with your pursuit. If you want to come visit, let me know and I can show you around and let you meet some people.

Feb 28, 09 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
richard bassett

The white glove in the face--and I don't yet know where I want to go for sure! I guess I opened myself up to it when I accepted this being a Texas forum. For the sake of openness, let readers consider that I will not go to Rice and I am responding to a Rice grad. I am also narcissistically questioning if I should have this argument publicly, as it might change the minds of those who applied to both Rice and one of my three choices. I am going to compare Rice and A&M, but if anyone would like to champion UH or UTA please do, but I think the arguments hold for them.

I like facts, and it is fishy that I can't find the facts for grad school. As it is this is a very unscientific comparison. Mr. Edgewood, let us consider that apply4admissions.com (not applyFOURadmissions) lists the average freshman scholarship at UT at $4.4K, so if we add that to your $12K we end up with your scholarship being around $16K a year. Why don't we split the difference between your $16K and my $7K for a nice $11.5K average scholarship for M.Arch Rice students. I suppose we should increase the A&M graduate scholarship amount by about the same percentage for $5.4K, but to help make my point we will leave it alone at $3.3K.

I think I should point out that Mr. Edgewood was accepted at UT, which is by far the most selective in the state and up there nationally (it gets the most apps. at least). This might be reflected in his award amount. I would have liked to apply at UT but decided not to rush my GRE, but non-narcissistically consider myself only average as an applicant at these highly ranked schools.

It takes 95 hours for those with an undergrad in architecture to graduate, and 133 hours for others, at Rice. At A&M it is 52 and 93 respectively. Indeed their is a difference in what you get in 18 hours at Rice and A&M, at least according to NAAB. Although this fact might swing us in many directions when considering quality, it swings in one direction when considering cost. In my particular case, I think the extra hours would be better spent learning in real world practice.

Using these numbers Rice's tuition and fees cost $76.8K (2 yr.) or $107.3K (3 yr.). TAMU is at $9.5K and $17.5K respectively. Considering length of program, we now get an even bigger cost difference than before at Rice of $67.3 and $89.8K.

Since we are talking about an M.Arch degree--Rice is a beautiful campus. Of course some think Harvard's campus is more pleasing than MIT's (a whole other discussion). I am not comparing MIT's campus to TAMU, just saying one might look beyond aesthetics. I think UTD is as good, or a better school academically than SMU--but my are there some ugly buildings at UTD (I went to UTD in case you couldn't guess).

Since Mr. Edgewood brought up travel--TAMU has a relationship with VT's Alexandria campus, and one can attend the campus for normal credit hours. This is one of the major selling points to me, as it won't delay graduation, it is a beautiful city, and I used to live there. TAMU also has campus relationships in Santa Chiara, Barcelona, and Bonn. Although, I don't know how much is under scholarship.

Overall Rice has a slightly better reputation, but considering the neighborhood of Rice, UT, and A&M, that is not saying much. In national M.Arch rankings they are very close. I believe UH and UTA are also well regarded in the region.

All things being equal, I would go to Rice, but they don't seem to be equal to the tune of $90,000, and 40 hours of study. Lets say it is only half as bad as I think--that is $45,000! Also, I don't believe my past school's ranking (5th, 15th, or 50th) will determine my future salary in the niche field I want to pursue.

Thanks alot MJH! Your information is actually pretty helpful. UH actually has an awesome new building for grad students that is a major selling point compared to A&M, which doesn't really have anything if you want to live within walking distance of campus or don't want to be surrounded by freshmen in an apartment building.

MJH--I am planning on visiting all the campuses once I am accepted to help me decide, so I will to take you up on your offer shortly.

Feb 28, 09 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
richard bassett

New Guideline: These are all good schools we are talking about, so let's keep it to what we know as opposed to what we think we know. Unless an individual has attended or taught at both institutions, it is a bit difficult to judge overall programs all by yourself.

Topics:

-What are a particular Texan school's strengths, weaknesses, special programs, excellent professors, living conditions, etcetera--especially UTA, UH, A&M?

-How much are apps. up this year; 10%, 50% 100%?

Feb 28, 09 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
EdgewoodAnimal

Well I’m not sure when this became an ‘argument’. I was only answering your query regarding Rice expenses as compared to public institutions. I’m sure the other schools you mentioned are good, and like I wrote above, all will provide a unique experience - (no 18 credit hours will be the same). I’ve met and worked with faculty and graduates from most of them, and I’ve been impressed.

Just so you know, I think I chose Rice in part because it was one of the best financial offers I had - frankly, much better than the public school offers.

Good luck on your applications.

Mar 1, 09 12:48 am  · 
 · 
richard bassett

Fair enough. I was very tempted to apply to Rice and see how much I got too, but hate revisiting things I can't change. My sister has her heart set on getting her MBA there, so I hope your right. I say enough with the Rice cost stuff unless someone finds solid numbers.

Mar 1, 09 2:23 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

i'd go to austin just for the town.

Mar 1, 09 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
richard bassett

Austin is awesome!

Mar 1, 09 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

I agree, this should be changed to a Texas grad school thread.

I just finished at A&M with their Bachelor of Environmental Design program (A&M's 4-year pre-professional architecture degree).

I don't know much about their grad program other than what I've heard essentially through the grape vine so I won't offer comments on that.

However, something you may be interested to know about is A&M's recently constructed "Architecture Ranch." The very nice facility is not located on the main campus, but at the Riverside campus ~10 miles off. The Ranch is more of a large workshop equipped with a CNC router, CNC plasma cutter, and any other wood/metal shop machine or tool you may need. In the architecture center on central campus, there is also a wood shop with access to several laser cutters and 3-D printers. So, if you are into digital fabrication, A&M definitely is taking big steps in that direction. I expect they will continue to add to the plethora of machines over the next couple of year at the Ranch as there is still ample space.

They also recently hired a grad professor who works with Rhino and computational design (scripting) in case that is something that interests you.

Can anyone on here offer a perspective on UT-Austin's grad program? I've posted on a couple threads inquiring about it. I know it's got a great repute, and is able to be very selective. I just don't know much about their approach to design. Any info would be appreciated

Mar 4, 09 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

I liked my time at UH in the Space Architecture program (SICSA) think NASA not 100,000 sqft planning projects.
I spent a lot of time at rice drinking at Valhala's.
The rice people worked later the uh drank harder.

Mar 4, 09 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
richard bassett

Mr. DSC:

How much of that was science related (gases, clean rooms, etc) and how much of that was space related (gravity, space modules, etc.)?

Mar 4, 09 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

it was a bit of both. we had people from nasa teach us a classes on propultion, interstellar geology (if you are on mars what types of rocks are good to build with), how to design in zero g. sapce suit design and more. Some of us worked on interiors for a lunar habitat as well as the mars mission.

Beyond that, eco tourism had just taken off. there is a lot of similarities between green architecture and space architecture. limited resources, energy conservation, offgassing, limited energy. I had to work on an isolated research station in Belize. got to go work for the bioshphere corp on a reseach boat after graduation.

there was a business side too. I worked on a proposal for a transfer technology facility (clean rooms) for a commercial space agency.

The connections were great. too bad nasa, in the 90's had no money. so I started my own small firm doing very pedestrian things...

Mar 4, 09 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
Sbeth85

Hey guys...

I am getting in a little late, but just wanted some advice on Houston M.Arch programs. I am curious about the differences between U of H and Rice (the only 2 M.Arch I programs I know about there.)

I know that Rice has been on the Design Intelligence rankings a few times, while U of H hasn't.

What is the difference in their approaches? Is one more theoretical than the other? One more 'far-out'? One more practical? One have a better emphasis on environmental design? One with better teacher:student ratios? One with better studios?

What's the difference, really, besides for price?
Thanks!

Mar 7, 09 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
richard bassett

I can't say much about the particular strengths of each school, but UH has been on at least one DI ranking listed openly (without a fee). In DI's recent "America's World-Class Schools of Architecture" UH received an honorable mention. About 60 institution made the list, or about half the design schools out there. I am not sure how valid the rankings are, considering your individual design and life goals. The ranking method seems a bit like a popularity contest, but I am not sure of another way to do such a list. Texas M.Arch programs are listed with the number of points received as follows:

Harvard, Columbia, VT, Yale: 477 (at the top of the list--for comparison)
UT: 474
Rice: 466
TAMU: 461
UH, UTA: 435
UTSA and Prairie View were not on this list

Mar 7, 09 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
richard bassett

Actually Texas Tech was on the list too with 440 points, but they don't have the program I need so I generally ignore them.

Mar 7, 09 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Sbeth85

TAMU = Texas A and M?

I guess I shouldn't have mentioned rankings... I am more curious about the individual personalities of the Houston March schools at the moment.

I want to go to a school that's at least decent. The relative rankings don't phase me as much.

Mar 7, 09 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
richard bassett

Yes, Texas A&M University, as opposed to Florida A&M etcetera.

You are asking the right questions, hopefully we will get the right answers.

Mar 7, 09 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

Sbeth85

I have heard that Rice's program is very strong on theory.
Also, I believe their program to be quite small, so the student:teacher ratio will probably be a little better than at UH which I assume is substantially larger.

Mar 8, 09 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

t a&m sucks hard

Mar 8, 09 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

Sicsa was 1 to 4. the other studios were about 1 to 16.

Mar 8, 09 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

blackharp

where do you go?

Mar 9, 09 2:07 am  · 
 · 
idiotwind

don't take the statement personal, blake. i was partially joking. it is a great school. i have many friends who have graduated/ attend.

i have a relative enrolled there, and i'm not into the particular sort of work i have seen. it seems engineered and boring for my tastes. a lot of computer work, also, which i think is very useful and valuable in today's world, but i tend to be old school and enjoy the art of creating everything by hand (or at least stray somewhat in abstractions). the area is also in the country, and i have been there many times, feeling very bored with the location.

just opinion

Mar 9, 09 2:30 am  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

no harm done, but you may want to consider how you sound when you say something like that. Your second assessment was more appropriate for the thread, and in better taste.

and, you aren't so incorrect in your latter assessment.

it definitely depends on the professor, but their approach to architecture generally is more practical/conservative in nature.

that coupled with the location are the reason for me to move on for M.arch.

but it should be noted that a degree from a&m is highly respected in the industry, especially if you plan on working in Texas.

Mar 9, 09 3:00 am  · 
 · 
richard bassett

I would appreciate comments on Mr. Blackharp's comment that A&M produces a lot of "engineered" and boring work. Please define this observation a bit better if you would? This is an honest question that may help clarify TAMU's, or at least many of the students who choose to go there, strengths and weaknesses to a large degree.

I would also like to clarify if Mr. Blackharp was saying that he liked to deal in abstraction (as in abstract design) in free hand? If he was saying this, why are CAD and "abstraction" mutually exclusive?

Mar 9, 09 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

check your email, bassett

Mar 10, 09 2:13 am  · 
 · 
Sbeth85

Thank you, Blake, for the info on Rice.

It's so hard to tell what to go for... at the moment, my brain craves theory! But some theory can be SO out there that I'm just left wanting to cry out "COME ON ALREADY!!"

How does one find a balance?

Mar 11, 09 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Morey

My husband transferred from ASU in Tempe, AZ to UTA in Dallas this spring. He is in the mARCH 3+ program. His undergrad degree is in Industrial Design from ASU.
My office transferred us to Dallas & I wanted to make sure I had a steady income while he finished. He actually likes UTA a little better.
I think overall UTA is a good school & they have strong ties to the firms around here.

Apr 7, 09 11:32 am  · 
 · 
richard bassett

Update: I got into all three schools!

I decided against UTA because I have lived in the Metroplex much of my life, and I am sure I will be back (not a very good reason).

UH was a close call, especially considering the proximity to several firms that interest me. They also have a space (as in outer space) planning department, which the geek that I am found interesting.

In the end A&M offers a hospital planning certificate that really spoke to me personally. Also this forum was inconclusive as to which school was better, which might be as it should be since they are all good. I had to go with the only ranking I could find in that regard: A&M is number 11 on DI's "Best Architecture and Design Schools 2009". In the M.Arch category TAMU placed above Rice, but below UT (for those applying next year). Again use your own best judgment, as ranking might mean little if you want to work for a firm that has a relationship with particular schools, etcetera.

A&M is also the pet of the current governor, and was Sec. of Defense Robert Gates home as president until he left for his current position--which can't hurt. Coming from UTD (a school with the highest average SAT score in the state of 1248, but not much tradition as it started in 1969), A&M's record as the oldest public university of Texas appealed to my patriotism as a 21st century Texan. The only other schools that really interests me today after all my research (money being a factor) is UT (missed the application deadline) & Virginia Tech (out of state tuition). Luckily I can attend VT for a year as a change of pace (I think) since A&M has a partnership with them. This would be a bit of a triumph for me since I used to live in Alexandria, VA and would walk by VT's M.Arch satellite campus and dream of attending. Attending the Alexandria campus would be coming full circle, if you will, and a big benefit of going to A&M.

After making my decision I discovered that I would be getting $4k less at TAMU, than the other schools through FASFA need based grants. Basically the grant funds at TAMU for graduates are lacking. Undergraduates should be just fine however as they have more money for them. It is still a cheap school, and living close to campus on a budget is also feasible. I found a 2/1 for $550 that has new everything, only 1.2 miles from the Langford architecture buildings!

I think some schools fit different people for different reasons, I hope this is helpful to those attempting to sift through the volumes of information to make a decision of their own. It was sure helpful to me in hashing out my thoughts. Thank you everyone!

Jul 8, 09 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Roarkschach

Congrats on your acceptances Richard!

It sounds like you made the right choice in lieu of your interests. A&M is the place you want to be in regards to design for health care. They have some leaders in the field teaching there. A former prof of mine, D. Kirk Hamilton, just published a book on evidence based design and has another coming out co-written by Mardelle Shepley (another member of the A&M faculty) regarding evidence based design in intensive care units:
http://www.amazon.com/Evidence-Based-Design-Multiple-Building-Types/dp/0470129344/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247106637&sr=8-6
http://www.amazon.com/Design-Critical-Care-Evidence-based-Approach/dp/0750665300/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247106637&sr=8-1

I have a few friends currently working on their M. Arch at A&M. Shoot me an e-mail if you'd like me to get you in touch with them. E-mail me also if you have any questions about the town, school, etc.

Best of luck this fall. We will both need it as I am about to embark on my M. Arch journey as well, in Austin.

Jul 8, 09 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

congradulations on your choice. i'm a student at uta. you'll love it. very intense, but you'll learn a ton.

Jul 9, 09 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: