Archinect
anchor

morning bar ?

Just curious, didn't see any other threads on this topic. Has anyone here doing residential design done any "morning bar" in the master bedroom?

I haven't done a residential project in several years, but was just curious about this, as I saw something about it advertised on a Moen website or similar.

Nov 1, 08 11:18 am
Apurimac

What's scary is I can actually understand having one of those things if you live in a 5,000sf McMansion and you have to pack a sack lunch and put on good walking shoes just to get to the kitchen

Nov 1, 08 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

I thought you were looking for a bar that is open early in the mornings for Bloody Mary or something. Joker's, Orbit, Speakeasy, ChitChat, Fireside, Breakshot, Circle.., They all are open early. Some have pickled hard boiled eggs too. At least they used to. WLA location.

Morning bar? Sounds like a hotel in a bedroom...

Nevermind.

Nov 1, 08 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
surface

I think I have this... it's called a studio apartment.

Nov 1, 08 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Wow, you're livin' the good life there surfaces, kitchen, bath, media room all within touching distance of your bed...

Nov 1, 08 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I last heard of this concept about ten years ago in single family residential design..

Nov 1, 08 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

If you can have a Gift-wrapping Room, I say a bedroom coffee-making station (and, hell, a mini-bar too) seems way conservative. Why not ?

Nov 2, 08 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

morning wood

Nov 2, 08 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Careful, mdler, don't knock over the coffee pot!

My partner, before I joined him, did a master bedroom suite with a counter with coffee bar and toaster. Personally I think it's excessive and lazy. And kinda icky - who wants their bedsheets to smell like toast?

Nov 2, 08 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Tsk tsk -- it's for coffee in a rush while dressing for work, not for lazybones who intend to lounge in bed until lunch. . .

Nov 2, 08 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

So in your scenario, SDR, does the bedroom open directly to the garage?

Nov 2, 08 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I'm friends with a hard-core gearhead who told me in his dream home his master bedroom would be connected to the garage, with a hall wide enough to drive his cars through.

Nov 2, 08 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

sorry, that is a code violation.

Nov 2, 08 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Ha. Well, maybe the kids have a nanny to get them ready for school, and mom and dad are such hard-driving types that they don't have time for family before the end of the day. Maybe there's a helicopter on the patio of the master wing ?

Apparently I'm reading too much adventure fiction.

I always wanted a glass wall between the carport and the living room, so the Quattroporte would appear, gleaming in the shade on its crushed granite pad, as part of the "wall art". . .

Nov 2, 08 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I too wouldn't mind being able to ogle my pretty cars from the living room, if i had any pretty cars to ogle that is.

Nov 2, 08 11:31 pm  · 
 · 

i think the gift wrapping room is the winner.

Nov 2, 08 11:42 pm  · 
 · 

i just told about this thread and the morning bar to tina and she said "oh yeah" with a sound of endorsement.
go figure...

Nov 2, 08 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

As there is "nothing new under the sun" (so it is said), would we doubt that, at some time and place in the past, every well-equipped residence had a "morning bar" in the master bedroom ? Perhaps in tsarist Russia, or in the Paris of Louis Quinze ?

It is hoped that, as a nation, we will now begin to come to our senses, of course.

Nov 3, 08 12:18 am  · 
 · 

I guess the olde worlde style morning bar was more portable. See, beside the bed there was a little bell or a pull-chord. Either ring or pull the chord and, a few moments later, someone called a servant tip-toes into the room with a silver platter upon which is perched your drink of choice...

Nov 4, 08 9:11 am  · 
 · 

It was also known for aristocracy to conduct most of their morning's business from the bedchamber the idea being, maybe, that to 'go to' things and people was a bit low class... ;-)

Nov 4, 08 9:15 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

solidred, I'm sure you're familiar with the progression in Hardwick Hall up the stairs and to the main bed chamber? It's breathtaking, literally.

A little coffee machine is in no way a symbol of power, it's more a symbol of how overly busy/out of control one's life is. Making people come up a set of stairs to see you in bed...that's power.

Nov 4, 08 10:24 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

my morning bar will also have a cute morning barista.

Nov 4, 08 10:45 am  · 
 · 
SDR

Yeah, servants. . .what was I thinking ?

Cute barista works for me. . .

Nov 4, 08 11:17 am  · 
 · 

ah yes... Bess of Hardwick Hall. I visited it a few years ago and it is indeed an awesome dwelling...
My favourite 'morning coffee' scene is, however, in some old sixties movie like Bullitt... the guy gets up, clearly isn't really wanting to, but amidst all the clutter and single male lifestyle mess, he *does* insist on a decent filter coffee first thing, before even dressing. Style, that is...

Nov 4, 08 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: