Archinect
anchor

The works of Imre Makovecz

zoolander

Anyone familiar with the works of Hungarian Imre Makovecz??

Been interested in his work recently, truely excellent in my opinion,

Aug 22, 08 8:57 am

crazy cool stuff. at first reminds me of bruce goff, but if he had come from a background in nordic vernacular.

Aug 22, 08 9:10 am  · 
 · 
zoolander

Theres not so much about him on the internet. But I have a few books here that are great.

He seems to be a phenomenologist, very away of the genius loci, which he tries to reinforce with his works.

His interviews and writinga are also excellent, possibly vital to understand his architecture.

"Today we are told: Pepsi cola is a feeling, hamburgers are THE food, television is a window on the world, the car is THE means of transport, English is THE language"

"The mass media, controlled by romantic ideas and money, are dragging eloquent and natural national feelings and rights beneath the sphere of culture and are converting natural affections into violent, murderous forces"

Basically he is very interest in not only the physical aspect of dwelling, but equally as importantly the metaphysical.

Certainly a regional architect with much to learn from in todays world of globalisation.

Aug 22, 08 9:24 am  · 
 · 
BLK

He started somewhat as a follower of Kos Karoly a Hungarian architect from the first half of the 20. century.

He is the leader (best known) of what is called Hungarian Organic Architecture.

Starting his early years he tried to develop a local (national) style (based on natural, organic materials, a bit of early Hungarian (nomadic) history and a lot of organic shapes). As a part of the few architects (like Csete Gábor or Dévényi in the town of Pécs) from the communist regime who tried to do something else than only prefab housing units and other social realist (Russian like) architecture, he became internationally famous after the Hungaian pavilion from the Sevillia Expo (in 1992 I guess). With all the 7 or 9 towers :)

His churches and some community houses are the best of what he has done.

These stuffs are really great and considering the political times were a huge breakthrough for that era and for the hungarian society.

But the sad part - from my point of view- is the work he does these days: repeating itself (and his organic forms) again and again, doing now in concrete what he did with wood and earth 30 years ago.

His churches became somehow a symbol of hungarian identity so every town or village wants to have one (especially in Transylvania) only that time, local conditions (lack of good craftmanship, the local regulations etc.) turn his designs in nothing more than some brick and concrete buildings with some typical "Makovecz" decorations.

Aug 25, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
zoolander

Good information BLK,

Its been difficult to find out any information on his more recent work, but it is a shame he has moved into concrete, which is a shock considering his writing about creating a sense of place.

Like most good things, popularity and demand necessitate a dilution of substance.

Aug 25, 08 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: