discuss

Jun 10, 08 6:12 pm
xtbl

no.

Jun 10, 08 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
binary

ummm.......

i'm gonna act like i didnt read the post and turn on some camp lo and just chill for a few minutes and re-group

Jun 10, 08 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

he invented the term 'bling bling'...

Jun 10, 08 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
binary

only reason he sells is cause he sounds like a chipmunk trapped in a tree

might be time to make up a rapper character and make it happen...... all i need is a drum machine and a vocorder.....

b

Jun 10, 08 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

i think the real question is would Lil Wayne be better off at GSD or go left coast with Sci Arc? Or go for his PHD - Pimp'n Ho's Degree

Jun 10, 08 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

lil bow wow
lil john
lil dot

Jun 10, 08 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
over_under

the man made a million dollars.

Jun 10, 08 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
Jun 10, 08 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
Mark_M

as an album and singles seller yes.......lyrically no.

lets face it he's not saying anything in depth but there are times I find myself quoting his lyrics for S*** & giggles.

for example I like this one... "better wear a latex/before you get that late text/talking bout "I'm late text."

"haha," I replied, how true.

Lyrical content I would argue between Andre 3000 of Outkast and the new found lyricist Lupe Fiasco. Now they write some lyrics with depth.

listen to andre's bar speaking on social issues still rampant in our society

this one has both of them...just listen

there is still some intelligent rappers out there ....you just have to listen.

some songs are there for the shear purpose of enjoying lifes guilty pleasures...some great..and then the rest.

Jun 10, 08 7:51 pm  · 
 · 

haha, lil dot sounds like a children's book character...it doesn't sound street at all!

on topic, i can't really explain why lil wayne is so popular. he must have a good publicist...like lindsey lohan.

Jun 10, 08 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
binary

cause all the hood thugs bump that shit in their capric's

just like how master P blew up

all that bass-hit garbage shit..... it's really sad

but more than likely those that have a hit record will burn up their loot and try to floss and be broke in a few years

ive seen artists fall and not be able to get back up.....

all in due time

Jun 10, 08 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

anyone see miss rap supreme final last night?

damn rece was off da hook for reals y'all!

Jun 10, 08 8:26 pm  · 
 · 

Well, it is all subjective. But certainly he kills it.
Have you heard any of his official Carter III?
Dr. Carter
It reminds me of some Heltah Skeltah..
Personally, I love Camp Lo or and variety of shit. However, for a major label, successful, MTV, etc, etc, rapper, he is i think worthy of praise.
Although his lyrical content may be dissociative at best, he is quite good at using his voice as an instrument. His delivery although sloppy is always on a beat. Sometimes his alone.

Jun 10, 08 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
binary

heltah skeltah........ meaning esham.......

Jun 10, 08 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i think alot cats like him cause they all cant hold a style/rap/etc.... so they rap like him and all that...

google elzhi from slum village and peep some of his stuff.... crazy... especially his styles/patterns clip...... yeah some detroit stuff...

with vocal play...hmmm
slick rick
baatin
kool keith

Jun 10, 08 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
The Thriller in Manila

no WALE from D.C. is.....I'm serious about this

http://elitaste.com/blog/2008/05/30/ladies-and-gentlementhe-mixtape-about-nothing

Jun 10, 08 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
iamsam

for some content:

common
talib kweli
mos def

for the club:

lil wayne
jay-z

Jun 10, 08 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
binary

for the club.....

toss in some ghetto tech

dj godfather..... you tube that up...hahahaha......

remember craig mack man i need to hear that....brb

Jun 10, 08 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
d-train
immortal technique
Jun 11, 08 12:21 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

i'll add this gem that i just picked up:

siah and yeshua dapoED

reissue of their '96 classic, the visualz anthology.

Jun 11, 08 12:31 am  · 
 · 
notone-co

dammson...

Please, get you rap history correct.

B.G. of the Cash Money Millionaires created the song "Bling Bling" which first introduced the term. Although according the Wikipedia....

"Though B.G. is often given credit for creating the term, as early as the 1970s, television commercials for dental products and chewing gum accentuated the cleanliness of teeth with a "bling" or "pling" sound, accompanied by an imaginary starburst or ray of light emanating from an actor's mouth."

Jun 11, 08 2:43 am  · 
 · 
binary

das efx

Jun 11, 08 2:54 am  · 
 · 

Dread you dropped that group's nam eon another post.
I will have to check them.

Jun 11, 08 8:07 am  · 
 · 
Philarct

Cryzko - Camp lo, yea man- Sonny chiba Gichi Swade

Lil wayne best rapper alive?
dont thing so.
id give that title to talib kweli, or lupe fiasco
long before Id give it to Lil wayne, all he's
doing is making money with these express
beats and "lick it, im so fly, blah blah blah"
lyrics. His stuff gets old real quick

Jun 11, 08 9:13 am  · 
 · 

i use to listen to hip-hop religiously back in the 90s, but don't anymore because i think most rappers lack talent these days, aside from a few like the mission, nonprophets, and MF Doom...talib kweli and lupe fiasco are ok, but totally mediocre by 90s standards.

i remember when biggie and tupac had legitimate claim of being the best rapper alive (when they were living) now i look up and see this clown claiming it? what's worse is a lot of people actually believe it...sad state of affairs people.

Jun 11, 08 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yeah, nam, it was in the good underground hip hop thread.

check 'em out. they are excellent lyricists.

Jun 11, 08 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

2mex

Jun 11, 08 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

"Is Lil' Wayne the best rapper alive?"
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Jun 11, 08 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
binary

stop posting in this thread.... the heading keeps pissing me off when i see it on the first page.....grrrrrrrr

Jun 11, 08 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

newman,

Please, do some more research...

Artist: Big Tymers
Album: How Ya Luv That
Song: Millionare Dream
Date Of Release: 1998

Chorus by Lil Wayne...
"I got ten around my neck (mm mm)
And baguettes on my wrist [Bling]
See we ball till we fall (la la)
Livin a millionaires dream (wootay)"

Artist: B.G.
Album: Chopper City From The Ghetto
Song: Bling Bling
Date Of Release: 1999

Chorus, also by Lil Wayne
"Bling bling
Everytime I come around yo city
Bling bling
Pinky ring worth about fifty
Bling bling
Everytime I buy a new ride
Bling bling
Lorinsers on Yokahama tires
Bling bling [/b]

Jun 11, 08 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

He does have some of the worst tattoos alive... you'd think with all that money he'd invest in some good work.

Jun 11, 08 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i want a tattoo ...but dont have the balls to do it..hahaha

just want my : logo outlined about 3" on my wrists..... underside...

b

Jun 11, 08 9:18 pm  · 
 · 

uhmm....I dunno. Lil Wayne is good but he's more of a side show than anything. Not really my cup of tea granted for long drive nothing does better than Cash Money.

I'm more for Common

Jun 11, 08 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
binary
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRR4atZvnY0

classic.......

Jun 11, 08 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
binary

for architech
www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmM94qnv6Ho&feature=related

Jun 11, 08 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin

Sean Price, Mos Def, Aesop Rock, OGC, Rock, Common, Black Thought, Talib Kweli, Pep Love, Redman, Kardinal Official, Big Boi, Andre (that's a group that is individually better than Lil' Wayne), Damian Marley (even though he isn't technically an MC), Eminem, Rakim, Immortal Technique, Kanye West is even better than Lil Wayne!

Should I go on........
Elzi, Little Brother (Phonte and Big Pooh), Cee Lo (yes he can rap better than Lil Wayne' even though he sings more now), Method Man, Buckshot, Pharoahe Monch, Brother Ali, Cocoa Brovaz (Tek & Steele), El-P, Jedi Mind Tricks, K-os, MF Doom, Obie Trice, Guilty Simpson and...........

Efram the retarded Rabit!

Jun 11, 08 9:41 pm  · 
 · 

thanks

Jun 11, 08 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin

"i use to listen to hip-hop religiously back in the 90s, but don't anymore because i think most rappers lack talent these days, aside from a few like the mission, nonprophets, and MF Doom...talib kweli and lupe fiasco are ok, but totally mediocre by 90s standards.

i remember when biggie and tupac had legitimate claim of being the best rapper alive (when they were living) now i look up and see this clown claiming it? what's worse is a lot of people actually believe it...sad state of affairs people."

Wow! I can't imagine if you were actually a fan of hip hop, you would say something like this. Back in the 90's there were at least 25 mc's that were better than Biggie and 2pac. That's right I said it! They did well commercially, but that's what they were....commercials. "Ready to Die" was a classic, but I could have gone without Life After Death. The man only made two albums and people say he was the best. And 2pac was on the decline. His best albums were Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z. and 2pacolypse Now. Once they made it mainstream, they ran out of decent material (i.e. Life After Death and all of the albums that 2pac released from the grave.

The problem is that too many people strayed away from the talented people, just buy mp3's and don't support artists that put work into an ALBUM. That's right, let me say it again....A-L-B-U-M. Sean Price is one of the most talented mc's I have heard and he's been dropping ridiculous lines since 93. He has only yet to make some more success when his album, "Monkey Barz" was voted best Indie record while Kanye West throws tantrums at a show like a punk.

Jun 11, 08 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
21Ronin

suburban white kids ran through their hip hop phase.

Jun 11, 08 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i didnt think pac/biggie was all that

i was bumpin souls/tribe/de la/slick rick/kool keith and others back in the 90's

Jun 11, 08 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

since this thread has degenerated more into a list of "good" rappers, i'm surprised no one has listed guru/gang starr.

Jun 11, 08 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
binary

gotta step up the ladder slowly.....

rakim
krs-1
super natural
epmd
etc......

i used to bump e-40/king tee/bone thugs back in the early 90's

Jun 11, 08 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

Spank Rock, Ghostface, GZA

Aug 2, 08 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
"the gza the genius is just a genius"

Aug 2, 08 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

talent spun off of Wu-Tang just as talent spinning off of OMA..

Aug 2, 08 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
complex

lil wayne is pure lyrical genius. one of my favorites is in the lollipop remix...

"I Flushed out the feeling of Me being the shit
Cuz I was leaving skid marks on everywhere I sit"

Aug 3, 08 12:37 am  · 
 · 
ryanj

i must say i'm digging the dizzee rascal/calvin harris tune lately. calvin's not bad for a white, british, electro-DJ-turned-rapper

Aug 3, 08 12:45 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

50 posts to this thread and ZERO mention of 3rd Bass?!?!?!

Feb 20, 09 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Anyone here dig Brother Ali?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbyeHkvBEdU

Feb 20, 09 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
zahoffman

Since Tupac is still alive (trust me), I'm going to go with him.

Feb 20, 09 5:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: