Archinect
anchor

Fuck you Autodesk, up yours WE WIN!

Antisthenes

"The US District Court in Seattle has rejected Autodesk's myriad arguments regarding its software licenses and found in favor of eBay seller Timothy S. Vernor. The ruling started by ruling that Vernor was within his rights to resell copies of AutoCAD Release 14 he got in an auction. Once the court settled the legitimacy of reselling, it used that ruling as a lens to dismiss all of Autodesk's various claims. More than once the court described Autodesk's arguments as 'specious' and 'conflicted.'"

May 22, 08 6:19 pm
Antisthenes

cross your fingers for a another big win against Autodesk's predatory practices when Open Design Alliance beats them too.

May 22, 08 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

FU F1!

May 22, 08 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

more:

http://williampatry.blogspot.com/2008/05/first-sale-victory-in-vernor.html

http://3dcadnews.blog.com/2076404/

it feels like a good night to celibate. this will have huge repercussions for peoples ability to resell.

May 22, 08 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes
US courts have not held a "shrink wrap" contract to be valid.

:D
May 22, 08 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

Antisthenes: "it feels like a good night to celibate"
That's funny, and conflicted, and likely a typo ;)

May 22, 08 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

oops in all the excitement i don't mean to go virgin.

celebrate.

May 22, 08 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

up YOURS Autodesk......

May 22, 08 9:04 pm  · 
 · 

I just want to say heck yes.

May 22, 08 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Die, Autodesk, die!

May 22, 08 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
PROPHET OF DOOM
+
May 22, 08 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

Back up in your ass with the resurrection

May 23, 08 12:07 am  · 
 · 
Per--Corell

Ver. 14 !!!

May 23, 08 6:46 am  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

I hope that one day we will have one file format for cad and 3D files and that we can use whatever software we want, without all the import/export kerfuffle.

May 23, 08 8:21 am  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

I love the idea that you can now legally buy seats of ACAD. I am sure with the downsizing going on there is a ready market for extra seats and other shelfware

May 23, 08 9:47 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

So does this mean I can now leagaly buy used copies of acad? Because I would love to buy a used copy of 08 if anyone wants to sell me one

May 23, 08 10:39 am  · 
 · 
dsc_arch

i'd check w/ your friendly neighborhood atty. but I don't see why not. same goes for adobe products. if I were to do it i'd stay one release back. read one they don't sell anymore. in my humble opinion, if they no longer sell it then a used copy is fair game.
I say it is a sale. if is a licence, then have the program only last for one year then get a new key. just like my isp.
back in the stone age Arris cad had this type of licening model. if you did not pay your bill bay jan 1 then you could not boot up the program.

but alas autdesk has a lot of attorneys and like to prey on the small fry.

May 24, 08 9:08 am  · 
 · 
bcpiii

Be careful,,,, I'm currently being bullied by the Autodesk machine,,,, They strike fear in small business with their 'witch hunts'. I am in the process of changing to Bentley. I want nothing more to do with them.

Jun 3, 08 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Bentley IMO is not so different from Autocad. Smaller company, but they are in the same camp when it comes to trying to stop anything they deem piracy. The only way to get away from bullying sofware companies is by going back to the drafting table.

Jun 4, 08 9:11 am  · 
 · 
babs

I'm amused how we rail against the manufacturers of software who are trying to protect their own intellectual property from our cheap-ass ways, yet we spend thread after thread here discussing ways we can protect our own "wonderfully inventive" ideas against predatory developers.

Jun 4, 08 9:57 am  · 
 · 
crowbert

I for one would love to follow autodesk's lead and charge people $1000 per person* every year to live in the house or work in the building that they may have paid for, but I designed. When I figure out how to do that, I'll agree with you babs.

(* including guests - you have ten people over for a party, that's another $10,000 for me. $1000 per seat, no exceptions)

Jun 4, 08 10:31 am  · 
 · 
ARCHlTORTURE

at the end of the day no one has to buy AutoCAD... people enter into all these agreements without ever reading anything then complain about the ramifications...

yeah it sucks and it feels like you have no choice... but the drafting board is always there waiting... or maybe you could try to use the ARE drafting program to make CDs that would be interesting...

Jun 4, 08 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

hahahaha crowbert

*finishes his autodesk free day*

Jun 4, 08 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

So.... has anyone contacted their attorney?

I'm on subscription and would love to put my copies of acad/revit08/09 on ebay. Is there some kind of contract I'm in with Autodesk that's different because I'm on subscription?

Bueller...?

Anyone...?

Apr 30, 09 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: