Archinect
anchor

How I Spent My Stimulus

n_
How I Spent My Stimulus

The majority of my office has spent the morning at this website.

As for me:

$434 one-way ticket from Mumbai, India to London, England

$73 Indian Visa

$30 Nepalese Visa

$63 undecided

May 9, 08 12:07 pm
won and done williams

paid off debt - $1,200. i know...boring.

May 9, 08 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
kanu

i Heard that if you Currently have student loans that this money would not be sent to you in the form of a check but applyed to the balance of those loans......

I assume there are other on here who have student loans still to be paid off. do you think this is true?

May 9, 08 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

kanu - I think that's only the case if you are delinquent on payments.

May 9, 08 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

absolutely false.

May 9, 08 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

will go into savings...

May 9, 08 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
zigfromsa

bloody lucky americans and their recession!
why can't the canadian government give out bribe money?
we've got plenty of dough from selling overpriced oil to our southern suckers ....uhhh I mean neighbours.

May 9, 08 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

zig, doesn't Alberta give out "oil" checks to their residents? I know they have. Move there to collect your bribe.

May 9, 08 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Haven't got it yet. Should I be concerned?

May 9, 08 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

as stupid as i think the whole idea is, i used it for exactly what mr bush might have hoped for: home repairs by local labor

May 9, 08 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
ckp

I haven't gotten mine yet either, but when I do it is going to pay for my ticket to Vienna.

May 9, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

nor have i received mine...

but when i do get it, its going to pay off credit card debt...

and towards a new pair of new balance... my other 3 pairs are wearing out

May 9, 08 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Archmed - If you signed up for direct deposit for your tax refund, you should be receiving it soon. Your deposit date depends on the last two digits of your social security number. If you received a paper check, you may have to wait as late as July to get your check. Check the IRS website and it will tell you when you should receive your check.

May 9, 08 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
med.

n_ thanks. A friend of mine mentioned something about getting a letter in the mail about it. I don't believe that I've ever received such a letter. any idea about this letter?

May 9, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

LUCKY?

shit. i'd gladly give it back if it meant that we'd be off bloody canuck oil, i mean our friendly neighbors contribution to our keeping the machines of living going....

May 9, 08 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

just got mine today.....

guns?
drugs?

no wait-- BIKE PARTS!!! new brakes, derailleur, tires, grips, helmet, shin guards, renewed racing license, entry fee in 2 weeks.... & maybe pedals. and a single speed conversion for the hardtail. and handlebars for the XC bike.

OR maybe-- finer screens, graphic emulsion, and gloss vinyl inks. and a used letterpress.

I dunno. something fun.

May 9, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
ckp

ah yes, douche paraphernalia

May 9, 08 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

A digital SLR for my trip to Europe this summer. And that's not just me splurging, the course requires us all to bring one.

May 9, 08 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

eating strudel sounds pretty douchey too

I think you're both covered in "stuff white people like" posts

May 9, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

New tires, now that its May I think I can safely take off the snow tires

May 9, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
ckp

actually, that's what I was thinking about purchasing. Some updated douche baggery, to replace my disintigrating set.

Mmmm, strudel and don't forget the sacher torte!

May 9, 08 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

Easy there ckp- if I were just like you we would have to compete for everything we both wanted.

No need to get all judgemental and hate on me for having fun, I'm not adversely affecting your way of life. Enjoy your pastries.

May 9, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
ether

i don't even think i've filed to get my stimulus... =(

May 9, 08 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

it comes automatically, ether. if you filed 2007 federal taxes and did direct deposit, it will just magically appear one day. it's exciting to find an extra $1,200 in your account.

May 9, 08 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

extra?!? ha! you already had it once.

May 9, 08 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
ckp

Sorry Fro, just poking fun, some at you but mostly myself.

My husband is going through a fixed gear phase so I've gotten comfortable ribbing him and his obsessions. I suppose I should not pick on people I'm not married to.

Also, I own and use a fair amount of screen printing equipment, so mostly I'm just jealous of your potential letter press.

I guess I'm going to need some vinegar and water...

May 9, 08 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
ether

yeah. that's the problem; i haven't filed yet..

May 9, 08 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

is it $1200 or $600?

May 9, 08 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

anyone else get fooled by NPR's April Fools piece on how the government was going to but people airconditioners, etc to get the $$$ back into the economy?

May 9, 08 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
n_

It's $600 if you are single; $1200 for married couples.

May 9, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

with the exchange rate it might be worth 1/2 night at crillon...maybe i'll just stick to the large selection of classic and trendy cocktails at their bar

definitely won't be enough for an addition to my porcelain candlestick on gendered candle collections..sigh

May 9, 08 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

So wait a minute, your bankrupt country/government hands out checks or gives tax refunds, who's paying for that. I mean the US already has the biggest debt to foreign countries in the world. So it's not even their own money they give away. That's intelligent economics. I would say enjoy it while you can and maybe use it to learn Chinese...

May 9, 08 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

on second thought, i think i'll just use it to tip my spanish speaking housekeeper

May 9, 08 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
Mc Taco

Quote I found funny on the website:

""Mine went towards the downpayment on my new ride. My wife says I took the Chinese money to buy a Japanese bike to stimulate the American Economy. Go figure.""

May 9, 08 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
zigfromsa

aqua,
Alberta used to give out free cash, but the cheap bastards wouldn't share with us here in Ontario, so we got pissy, bitched at the head of the country and taxed Alberta's out the wazoo. hehehehahahahaha jokes on them now, we got their oil money hehahahahamuahahahaha

May 9, 08 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

yeah ontario's economy is really looking good isn't it? dude, the times of change are upon thee. manitoba is doing better than ontario. so there ;-)

i hope the stimulus thing works for yall in the states. it would be very nice if bush did something that didn't turn out to burt the country just once before he goes out. you know, just so he can look back at his accomplishments and actually have one (an accomplishment, that is).

May 9, 08 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

i got me one of these.....

May 9, 08 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

for $700.

May 9, 08 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
theparsley

perhaps a donation to the opposition presidential candidate of your choice would be in order.

although that furry jacket is tempting.

May 10, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

That website is amazing and addictive, n_.

I'm fighting a strong desire to buy a squirrel drawing by Macha Suzuki with mine, or part of mine. I really, really want one of those drawings and it's been ages since I bought any new art.

May 12, 08 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

I'm sure there's something in that drawing that I don't see, but BELL, i'll draw the same thing and sell it to you for $100. That leaves you $500 (or $1100)....

May 12, 08 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

extermination

May 12, 08 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

hookers and blow, naturally.

May 13, 08 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

GhostLab fee

May 13, 08 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

none here

May 14, 08 8:11 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I freakin' love that website, n_, damm you!

"This is the George W. Bush Memorial Dyson. I wanted to buy something that will suck as hard and for as long as this administration."
Sybann
Raleigh, NC

May 14, 08 8:44 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Airplane tickets to LA, Vancouver, and back again.

May 14, 08 9:04 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

LB, I normally just roll my eyes and whatnot when people poke fun at the president, but that made me laugh at loud.

May 14, 08 9:47 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

It's official, in 2008 I'm more tired of Bush jokes than I was of Clinton BJ jokes circa 1999/2000.

My favorite new quote is from James Kunstler - "George Bush has become the whipping boy for all the failures of the American public"

I simply cannot understand why anyone would call the stimulus stupid when the Gov't is doing exactly what the public does every day, spend money they don't have.

May 14, 08 11:27 am  · 
 · 
n_

Yay, I'm glad you heart the website, LB.

I was going to browse it during my lunch but our IT department has already firewalled the site. Our IT department has firewalled everything and anything with any cool factor to it. Damn those pale and skinny boys on the 10th floor.

May 14, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

a bag of organic

May 14, 08 3:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: