Archinect
anchor

UPenn and Sci Arc - opinions please

xalip

I would like anyone that currently attends (or has attended) Sci-Arc or UPenn to share their experiences (both good and bad). They both appear to be rather different. Unfortunately, Im really not that well informed. I read the websites, discussions on these forums (many of which I don't find particularly helpful because there are lots of users that tke pride in bashing other schools and other's comments) but I need some more informed feedback.

Is there an extreme air of pretentiousness at Penn, since it is an ivy league? The profs seem rather decent, but looking at the student work, a lot of projects seem really out there and much more theoretical. Would it be worth it staying three years at Upenn to get a masters in as opposed to going to another school that would grant me a degree in 2 years. If you could decide again, would you still have gone to Penn? People say that the program is going in interesting directions. Philly doesn't seem that exciting, any thoughts?

As for Sci Arc, I keep hearing that it's cool and that there's no money. Some people say its only good to go there if I would want to work on the west coast after grad (i really don't believe this to be the case). I would only have to do 2 years there, which is very enticing (cause I havent gone to school for a while, and it seems like a bitch to go back). It seems like there is a strong theoretical aspect but they are also into creating ideas (fabrication). What's LA like (from an east coast point of view if possible)? How big is the school (people)? And where do the students come from? all over? international students as well?

Thanks to anyone that can give me his opinion

Apr 27, 08 9:50 am
Mission St.

have you read the bazillion sci-arc threads on here already?

if you're considering sci-arc, you're gonna have to learn to fend for yourself quite a bit and think quickly and make decisions. start by using the search function here. seriously. all of your questions have been answered in previous threads. many many times.

if we're gonna start another sci-arc thread, there's got to be some fresh gossip or shit-talking, agreed?

Apr 27, 08 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Israel Kandarian

agreed, 100%. to quote my alter ego, philip gentleman, "snore."

Apr 29, 08 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Way to be jerks guys.

Is it that difficult to just say "try searching for other SCI-Arc threads, there are many that answer your questions."

Thats all that needs to be said. Stop being an ass.
Thanks

May 1, 08 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
Mission St.

Jesus Christ! If they require that much coddling they're never gonna make it in architecture school.

Want some fresh advice for surviving sci-arc? Start growing a thick skin immediately. Go to somewhere like China and find an old-timey martial arts school, the kind where the first time you walk in the door, the instructor immediately starts throwing all kinds of crazy-ass roundhouse kicks at your head. Your first assignment will be working in the kitchen carrying buckets of water up and down steep hills all day long... hopping on one foot (and god help you if you spill a drop!).

(caveat: this advice applies only to sci-arc, i've no idea what it's like at UPenn, but assume it's the same or worse.)

May 2, 08 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
xalip

Coddling, coddling. I'm sure some of you knew what it was like when you had to make a choice about school and had iffy feelings. Two or three years of architecture is a lot, and the exorbitant debt and future earnings potential can cause one to stop and wonder, repeatedly. Yes, i read the older posts, but things change. Sometimes people on these boards can be real dicks.

May 4, 08 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i recommend going anywhere where ms. tumbleweed goes.,,

May 4, 08 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
*your name

Let's all go to SCI_Arc and look cool with Daddy's money.

It is industrial, the area is well protectedly rough and cleansed of undesirables. Fter 100K, you will have a couple of your own blobs and know the instructions on the laser cut machine to free fabricate the objects of your desired professors!
What could you ask for more? Fake ID?

The place is a big myth, and it only works for few people. Like ...tumbleweed... He or she must have been one of the lucky ones. Not good.

I have been to both schools. Go to UPenn, where the real education is, and you will have more access to different departments and views.

May 4, 08 7:43 pm  · 
 · 

oH bOY, A nEW tROLL! hi!

May 4, 08 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

One of the major differences between sciarc and upenn is that upenn gets pretty dogmatic at times about their agenda which is also not as varied as sciarc's.
at sciarc, you'll get people in juries to have different opinions and definitions about what architecture is which lead to some interesting and sometimes fierce discussions. I think that's a very healthy thing for a student.

May 4, 08 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

^ Surely you're not implying there's no fad following going on at Scilark???

;)

(Change for changes sake isn't the greatest either)

May 5, 08 12:35 am  · 
 · 
Jamchar

I would beg to differ, I am at Cal Poly Pomona. My school offers tenure and the faculty never stops "kicking us in the ass" to progress beyond contemporary thinking. And our faculty could not possibly be more diverse or "cutting edge".

(sorry I feel the need to constantly defend the program considering the CPP bashing that has taken place here before)

May 6, 08 1:55 am  · 
 · 
Jamchar

I must say though I am a fan of Witold Rybczynski.

May 6, 08 1:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: