Archinect
anchor

Moving to LA . . . what (relevant) firms am I missing?

misterTT

Alright, I've made the jump east, from Oregon to NYC, now I'm jumping back west to give LA a try. I've been researching a lot, and have sent my CV to a fair amount of these guys. What I want to know is WHO AM I MISSING? I've pruned past threads here pretty well I think.

I think you'll notice two diverging strains to this list, which just illustrates how torn I am between my U. Oregon west coast modernism-sustainability Undergrad and the Columbia digital/fabrication/emergent east coast vibe. With that said, i'm sure to have left out some good practices on both sides of the equation. And yes, I know that some of these guys (servo, Gnuform, Hernan, et al.) are not really options for actual employment, but it seems worth it to keep the names in discussion.

I'll be moving in June if anyone knows of good positions opening up.

Morphosis
Daly Genik
Johnston Marklee
Lorcan O'Herlihy
Marmol Radziner
RoTo
SPF:a
Koning Eizenberg
Hodgetts and Fung
Pugh and Scarpa
Neil Denari
Xten
Frank O. Gehry
Taalman Koch
Steven Ehrlich
AGPS
Michael Maltzan
Coop Himmelb(l)au (is there LA office still around?)
Eric Owen Moss
Xefirotarch
Griffin Enright
Emergent Arch
George Yu
Servo
Michele Saee
Hitoshi Abe
Gnu Form
Dr. D (any projects?)
Rios Clementi Hale
Touraine Richmond
Lee + Mundwiler
Belzberg
Escher Gunewardena
wHY
make
graft LLC
Patterns
Predock Frane
Thomas Spiegelhalter
Barbara Bestor
Clive Wilkinson
John Fridman Alice Kim
Patrick Tighe
Fung + Blatt
Kanner Architects
Shubin and Donaldson
Jones Partners

Apr 19, 08 9:53 am

well, if you're interested in wHY, then I would probably include Paul Tang Architecture as well. The principals at those two firms used to be Hakimori/Tang, and they split up a few years ago, so there's a lot of common ground between their work.

Apr 19, 08 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow that's a great list. But I take it your not interested in larger firms that might actually be hiring? Like Johnson Fain or DMJM?

Apr 19, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

gnuform is no longer in existence. Jason Payne now runs Hirsuta, and Heather has her own office. David left servo and now has DavidClovers with Clover Lee.

Apr 19, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

also, George Yu passed away last year. I'm not sure if his office still works under that name, changed the name, or even is still an office

Apr 19, 08 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

Behnisch has an LA office.

Apr 19, 08 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

GLFORM

Apr 19, 08 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Alan Loomis

From your initial list, I think these might interest you:

Angélil/Graham/Pfenninger/Scholl Architecture
Tolkin Associates
anyone from the Hedge Design Collective
Techentin Buckingham

Apr 19, 08 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Alan Loomis

and Chu + Gooding

Apr 19, 08 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

mry

Apr 19, 08 9:05 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

agps does some nice work, though i feel like it's only the zuerich office (marc's)

Apr 19, 08 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
misterTT

Sweet....lots of good responses so far.

About the passing of George Yu...I remember hearing and reading about it, but I guess I never put a name to the face and the work. That's terrible, He seems to have had a lot of talent.

Also, thanks for the info on Gnuform and Servo...its hard to keep tabs on who is still around sometimes.

I'm alright with larger firms (i've only worked for one office, which had between 3 and 6 people at any time), so it's a little intimidating, especially since most of my friends at larger places (>50) are very pigeonholed, and I tend to get bored quickly. I do need to try a different sized office soon, though.

I forgot about Behnisch, I've always loved their work. Thanks for the reminder!

Apr 20, 08 2:11 pm  · 
 · 

Behnisch's office is like two blocks form the beach in Venice, too.

Apr 20, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
jzxy

Alice Kimm and her hubby's firm.

Apr 20, 08 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
misterTT

I'm liking what I see from Techentin Buckingham, thanks for the link.

I know Archinect isn't a place to brag about or bemoan past experiences, but does anyone have "friends" who have had great or terrible experiences at any of these places?

It's a little weird not having any connections at all, and no first hand knowledge of personalities, work conditions, etc. Other than Hernan and Thom Mayne, I've never met any of these people or heard them speak.
Thoughts?

Apr 20, 08 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
jzxy

Mister TT,
Also Steven Ehrlich's firm and MRT (Moore, Yudell...). Both solid, high profile and mature firms.

Apr 20, 08 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

Richard Meier has an LA office as does Vinoly...maybe not your taste given who you've listed, but solid nonetheless. I'm in the process of doing the same thing you are and am looking at a lot of the same places. However, I'm tending to shy away from the ueber-boutique firms figuring I'd need an inside connection (plus I need a salary and health insurance), and throwing in your Gensler's and RTKL's, etc.

Apr 20, 08 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i know that make is hiring

Apr 21, 08 1:27 am  · 
 · 
mdler

you should really decide what part of LA you want to live in and think about firms in the area...living in Pasadena and working in Culver City is only fun for so long.

Apr 21, 08 1:29 am  · 
 · 
guppy

Why not do the opposite and choose where you live according to where you can get a job? It seems that the majority of firms are either downtown, Culver City, or Santa Monica. Is that right?

Apr 21, 08 1:41 am  · 
 · 
battlestar

gehry just laid off 25 or more peeps, so wouldn't suggest applying there. i'd suggest applying to a firm that's working in asia or the middle east. that's where all the money is. i would not want to be graduating this year.

Apr 21, 08 1:58 am  · 
 · 
misterTT

I'm thinking that guppy is on the right track...nearly all of the decent firms are between downtown and the beach, just north or just south, so its kind of a given that i'll need to live in there somewhere. The other factor is that my girlfriend is going to be working for a corporate firm downtown, so we need to look in a 35-minute radius from there, and hope that I can find a job with a more or less equal commute.

I can't imagine living in Pasadena and working in Culver City would be fun for more than one day!

Apr 21, 08 8:28 am  · 
 · 
citizen

... "I know Archinect isn't a place to brag about or bemoan past experiences"

Just how long have you been reading Archinect?

Apr 21, 08 11:05 am  · 
 · 
mdler

misterTT

I would look in the Hyperion Corridor in Silverlake....MAKE, Maltzan, Lehrer, Barbra Bestor, Unruh Boyer (my office) amoung others. It is 20min from Downtown...you and your GF could live in Echo Park, Sliverlake, etc...

Apr 21, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
misterTT

Thanks Mdler....it seems like the Echo Park/Silver Lake area is a good bet, and one of the few areas I might be able to afford that could be enjoyable on a daily basis. Stupid socal rental market.
At least in NYC you know that even if you are paying $2000+ for a studio, that you couldn't hope to have a mortgage for the same price. it takes the sting off of it just a tad to know that you have no other option. In LA, it seems *almost* feasible to have a $2000 mortgage on a piece of crap fixer upper. If only I had a down payment . . .

Apr 21, 08 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

msiterTT

there are deals in LA now...people are losing thier shit

Apr 21, 08 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

Yeah, a couple of friends of mine just bought a place for $250,000 in Echo Park. That's basically what the land cost, and the house had a demo permit on it....Haven't seen it yet, but they're living there and it hasn't fallen down yet.

Apr 21, 08 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

SPF also just laid people off... I would guess most of the smaller firms on the eastside are not hiring - jittery about the market now.
I think Maltzan is hiring. I worked for Warren Techentin first job out of school and he's a great guy and designer as well.

Apr 21, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

guppy

I know of a place in Echo Park for $150,000

Apr 21, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
guppy

Mdler
How many steps up from camping does that get you?

Apr 21, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
misterTT

If I had to camp in any major city, it seems like LA would be a pretty good candidate. Maybe i'll just set up a tent on the beach like the people in Rio...

Apr 21, 08 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

misterTT

I dont think that you are the 1st person to have that idea...its called Venice Beach

Apr 21, 08 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
nb072

why did gehry lay off 25 people? not enough new jobs coming in? or were they subpar employees, to be replaced by new meat?

Apr 21, 08 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
misterTT

Do people actually get away with camping out on the beach there? I know the homeless population is really high, but figured that the LAPD would keep the beaches clear of 'undesirables'

Apr 21, 08 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

My friend is a consultant working with Gehry's office and he heard that they are moving and looking to add staff. But this is 3rd hand info...

Apr 21, 08 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

servo is still alive and well.

Apr 21, 08 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

Gehry's office had some big projects that are on hold etc because of the economy - overstaffed & decided to cut for business reasons, shoring up just in case.

Apr 21, 08 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
R.A. Rudolph

also Denari was looking for someone with rendering skills to help on a temporary assignment (But that may have been filled). WHY has been looking for a technical person, someone with at least a few years experience detailing. Anecdotally it seems like firms are still hiring good people with experience, might be tougher for new grads, but there's usually work at more corporate firms which might be a safe way to go right now. No fun going to work for design firms only to be laid off 9 months later (happened to me twice in a row back in the 'recession' of 2001).

Apr 21, 08 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

What a fun discussion. Is it weird that talking about other firms just makes me want my own more?

MASS Architecture & Design is in Silverlake too. I visited, it looks like they do some good stuff.

http://www.mass-arch.com/

Apr 21, 08 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
misterTT

Alright i'm getting some really good information from this thread, so lets milk it for all it's worth!

next request, TACO TRUCKS

where are your favorite taco trucks? I've got a Jones for Carnitas Tacos and a Horchata; where's a guy gotta go to get his fix?

I will also accept answers in the form of "best cheap Mexican hole in the wall" restaurants. Again, excellent Carnitas and Horchata are a must. Bonus points for good Chile Colorado.

I get the feeling I'm going to like it out there

Apr 21, 08 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
dapotato

it depends on which neighborhood. they're everywhere. i can never remember the exact names/locations as a friend or my hubs navigates (i have the worst sense of direction).

this blog is pretty comprehensive:
http://tacohunt.blogspot.com/

Apr 21, 08 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
misterTT

dapotato:
you've just made my month. Seriously. I've been through a lot of crap so far in April and you just TOTALLY redeemed it. You are the man. I will sing the praises of dapotato to my children and my children's children, so that your name will forever live on as the taco redeemer.

Apr 21, 08 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
dapotato

ah, i finally found one of my favorites for al pastor that is carnita-like (as i usually prefer carne asada and al pastor to carnitas).

http://tacohunt.blogspot.com/2006/03/la-estrella.html

yeah, i'm no good for LA firms since everyone above has covered it all, but i'm the [wo]man for tacos for now, i guess.

Apr 22, 08 11:53 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

FOG-A has been a revolving door for a long time. I was part of a 10 person firing in '94 only to hear that they turned around and hired new folks the next day (and it wasn't cause bilboa was finished).

the other cluster or architectural talent is in '*gasp*, irvine!

Apr 22, 08 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

misterTT

what kind of work do you like doing????

Apr 22, 08 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
misterTT

mdler:
interesting and varied: that's pretty much my only requirement. I don't know if i'm yet willing or or experienced enough to work at a large, institutional scale, and I would prefer to get more experience with new construction. I have *slight* moral issues with doing super-expensive single family homes for the wealthy, but I also realize that's pretty much the only way to make a name for yourself in soCal.

I've got a modernist/hyper-sustainable streak that's constantly at battle with an emergent/digital/super fashionable side, and who knows which one will win. I'm hoping that the two will some day mix harmoniously.

My personal architecture hero is Francois Roche, if that clarifies things.

what about you? it's kind of an interesting question that doesn't seem to get asked enough.

Apr 22, 08 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

im a classically trained modernist...

you should look at MAKE

Apr 22, 08 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

god knows we need the help right now

Apr 22, 08 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
misterTT

randar82:

who is we?

Apr 22, 08 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

we = the guys over at MAKE

Apr 22, 08 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

randar82

tell bill I say hi

Apr 22, 08 8:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: