Archinect
anchor

My Business Card or My Firm's?

farwest1

I have my own small business. But, because my work slowed down, I also recently went back to work for another firm full time. So I have two business cards: mine and theirs.

At social events and networking, I've been handing out my own card and promoting my work (rather than my other employer's.) But I feel vaguely guilty about this.

Is this the wrong thing to do? Should I only be promoting my employer's business rather than my own? Should I stop worrying about it? I never signed an anti-moonlighting clause, but on the other hand I'd hate for the firm to know that at social events I'm promoting my own work (and not mentioning theirs.)

Apr 12, 08 11:43 am
tc79

For me, it depends on the venue and whether you are representing the firm or yourself.
I work for a large corporate firm, mostly on international projects. I also design small scale commercial and residential projects. And, when the opportunity is right, I develop/flip/restore property with my wife. (She has her own graphic design business as well.)
So, I carry all my business cards, plus my wife's, at all times.
You have to decide what is appropriate for each occasion.
When I pass out my personal business cards, I always make sure that the recipient understands it.

Apr 12, 08 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
Atom

The AIA has some reading on professional practice and ethics regarding this topic. Each firm has its own policy. Most firms will explicitly state that you are allowed to do outside work and will ask you to sign a document indemnifying the firm from your outside work, provided you are not in direct competition or in a conflict of interest.
With regard to handing out your own card, that also depends on the firm you work for. Asking about the policies will keep you out of trouble with the firm police. In fact some firms do not want you handing out company business cards to solicit clients. Soliciting and marketing / networking functions is often regarded as the job of the principles. Even if you mean well by offering to bring in work the firm may not take kindly to you acting in that capacity.
If for example your side work is single family residential and your firm does not do residential, provided you sign the right documents and let the firm know then you are free to promote yourself when you are off the clock.
With regard to what tc79 wrote, "When I pass out my personal business cards, I always make sure that the recipient understands it." I would add that upon signing your contracts or prior to commencing work the client sign a statement indemnifying your firm from liability. The liability is the primary concern to your firm. And lastly make sure you do so early or you run the risk of a coworker ratting you out.

Does anyone take issue with what I have said? Correct me if I'm wrong here but that is how it was told to me.

Apr 13, 08 2:57 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Promote yourself, unless your firm has given you incentive to promote them (and permission).

Apr 13, 08 9:35 am  · 
 · 
db

Sounds like a question for NYTimes Ethicist Randy Cohen -- [email protected]

Apr 13, 08 10:14 am  · 
 · 
farwest1

Thanks all! It is kind of an "Ethicist" question, I guess.

Apr 13, 08 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: