Archinect
anchor

why would an architect need a blog?

Gyo

why would an architect need a blog?

beside talking about your life and sharing what you have been doing? i mean what else? are there better reasons? should i do one also?

Apr 11, 08 2:38 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

go read Lebbeus Wood's Blog, it's quite good.

Apr 11, 08 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Gyo

i read...

do you own a blog?

Apr 11, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
Gyo

i mean... yea to keep surrounding ppl up to date... other than that.. what else?

Apr 11, 08 2:50 pm  · 
 · 

well it is actually a comprehensive marketing tool...blogs reach a diverse audience and help with the promotional side of business.

Apr 11, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
Rottnme

Why would anyone NEED a blog... or a cell phone... or a vehicle... or a computer for that matter???

They don't. The job can get done without it all of the above.

Apr 11, 08 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
Gyo

so its better off when you are actually starting your business? that when you start doing blogs?

Apr 11, 08 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

Thinking out loud is a great practice for refining and getting feedback on ideas.

Apr 11, 08 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

sadly this conversation is too lame to make it into my blog. and thats really saying somehting because lame is the name of the game when it comes to my blogoshpere.

Apr 11, 08 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
rambleon

architects like talking...a lot...about things normal paople dont give a damn about. they're also socially inept creatures. blogs let them force their words on more people than they can normally reach.

Apr 11, 08 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

We set up individual blogs for projects, the clients then can read meeting minutes, see the updated drawings and renderings and comment. So far they have worked out very well.

Apr 12, 08 10:46 am  · 
 · 

ditto with us, re what FOG lite says, minus the meeting minutes cuz we want to keep blog public. it also give something for the clients to show to friends. links to kool construction pics are very nice advertising. and friends send links to friends, so the range of people who know about us grows faster than if we didn't have the blog.

we also have been using blog to send to magazines etc as an added source of info beyod standards photos and archi-babblish text we sent out for projects...

i think it isn't such a big thing, very subtle really...but at some point it will be either a nice record of work, or a very nice reason for a very nice lead. the latter would be more happy making, but nothing wrong with the former.

also, and thi is the importnat bit, it is something i can send to my mom. she almost understands what i do for a living now.

Apr 12, 08 11:12 am  · 
 · 

Happy Making is a good term, jump. I'm guessing there's some specific japanese word that correlates.

Apr 12, 08 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

The meeting minutes are typically very, very broad

Apr 12, 08 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

really? americans need to ask the purpose of its existance before giving it a try?

what's happen to those brave slogan...

YES U CAN... JUST DO IT... IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING?

Apr 12, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

as stephen jay gould always said, things in nature exist before finding its purpose.

Apr 12, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

no japanese word that means same, 765. i just like to play with english...

i am pretty sure stephen jay gould actually said something slightly different, but the idea is correct. it may be that blogs will turn into something super cool someday, although right now i think they are quite useful enough.

Apr 13, 08 6:42 am  · 
 · 

as an architect et al my blog shows the things that I'm interested in beyond the 9 -5 practice that still involve the profession. It is somewhat narcissist (as all blogs are) but people are interested the popularity of architecture blogs says so

Apr 13, 08 10:42 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Because if we as archtiects don't talk about why architecture is important, then only Men's Vogue's blog will.

Apr 13, 08 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Awww crap I spelled architects wrong - I hate it when i do that!

Apr 13, 08 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I like blogging. It made me realize that I like writing just as long as no one is forcing me to do it :o) Also, I like to think that if I can just show one person one new perspective with each new blog post, then it's worth it.

Apr 14, 08 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

Gyo,
why does an architect need to post dumb ass questions?

futureboy

Apr 14, 08 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
rza

futureboy, you have tapped into the answer to life with that response.
ask only questions, but expect no answers.
deep, i love it.

Apr 14, 08 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

This is a sad discussion about a great topic.

I personally would be interested in what archinecters blog about in their personal blogs. Do you critique other work, do you write lofty manifestos of how things should be or do you just ramble about what you saw and thought during the day?

For those that use it as a way of marketing. Do you curtail yourself to not offend a client or do you go extreme to make a name for yourself. Do you use it to market to clients or to make yourself know in the profession?

Do you focus on your specialty or try to cover the whole width of architectural discussion. Do you have a personal and a separate professional blog?

Apr 14, 08 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i agree is a dumb question...

where can u find a better tool for putting down ur daily thoughts with hyperlink, video, images...

the tool is there, be inventive!!

Apr 14, 08 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

mleitner, my blog is a combination of all of those things. And after almost a year I've definitely become aware of the fact that people read it. What cracks me up is that I don't know who....so I just try to write well and check my grammar and make a few jokes here and there.

Apr 15, 08 2:13 am  · 
 · 
xtbl

the latest issue of arcca (which isn't online yet unfortunately) had an article about blogs and architecture.

Apr 15, 08 2:17 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Two of my blog posts are being published in books ... so there are benefits to self-publishing.

Apr 15, 08 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

I would be interested to check out your blogs. If you don't want to post them here, just PM me.

WonderK, have you gotten a sense of what type of posts you are getting readership for? Does it depend on the title, links from other bloggers, themes?

Apr 15, 08 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

Here's Dubk's:

http://wondersphere.blogspot.com/

Apr 15, 08 1:26 pm  · 
 · 

are we outing people?

hmmm here's sevensixfive's

Apr 15, 08 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

...and here's techno's!!

Mmmmwah!

Apr 15, 08 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

subscribed and subscribed

Apr 15, 08 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke
hello
Apr 15, 08 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™
Yea...I got one, so what?
Apr 15, 08 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
grid

I just entered the architecture blogosphere - take a look at sinkingcities.com

We already have some great blogs on here! Good work guys.

Oct 20, 08 2:50 am  · 
 · 

smoke, yours is a new favorite.

mightylittle, i'm less of a foodie but yours still sucked me in. and i'm also a big fan of bittman. had to watch the ted talk. we use his '...cook everything' book like they're just the instructions for how to work the kitchen.

Oct 20, 08 7:52 am  · 
 · 
aspect

i write blog following 2 principles-

- architectural reflection on current issues

- short

otherwise will be writing thesis which i dun think blog shall be appropriate for such purpose.

Oct 20, 08 9:36 am  · 
 · 
aspect

why blog?

- is my new note book.

Oct 20, 08 9:38 am  · 
 · 

Yeah Bittman is awesome.
Also, blogging is basically a way for me to have a digital notebook/clipbook, of things that interest me. Or even that i want to return to/save for future reference.

I have had one for awahile.

I hope in the next year to migrate to my own hosted site. thus not relying on wordpress any more. Plus that would alllow me to get more into the technical nature of blogging/web design.

Oct 20, 08 9:54 am  · 
 · 
Alackrity

a well written blog with proper links can be used to elevate your company's google ranking

Oct 20, 08 11:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: