Archinect
anchor

Cellphones for Architects

nomadzilla

Just curious; which Cell phone handset do you think suits Architects best?
I guess a lot of folks would say: Apple iPhone, but what else?

Apr 2, 08 3:08 pm

this works just dandy...

Apr 2, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
freq_arch

Agent 86's shoe phone.

Apr 2, 08 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
gonad

those enormous first generation phones in the early 90s... something you would see zack morris with on saved by the bell.

Apr 2, 08 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

how about this:
The Samsung Armani

Apr 2, 08 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

maybe prada by lg...or maybe vertu

Apr 2, 08 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Becker

etch-a-sketch with the phone upgrade.

Apr 2, 08 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
NOIR_B

NOKIA 8801 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_8800

Apr 2, 08 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Wow, that Nokia is beautiful, NOIR. I'm a big fan of Nokia, wish I could afford the buy above the base model!

In other words, the best cell phone for an architect is the cheap one.

Skitchis, I like your answer too!

Apr 2, 08 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

two campbell soup cans and a alot of kite string

Apr 2, 08 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

messenger pigeon

Apr 3, 08 12:03 am  · 
 · 
nomadzilla
Apr 3, 08 6:17 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

I will only buy Nokia...after some terrible products from Motorolla and the asian brands. Unfortunately the US cell companies only offer the shit products from Nokia and pump Samsung, LG, etc. Thankfully you get get a unlocked Nokia phones pretty cheap off ebay. Sorry, people on ancient TDMA networks (Verizon/Sprint) need not apply.

Apr 3, 08 9:38 am  · 
 · 
Kardiogramm

Either an iPhone or Blackberry, I don't think anything else is acceptable in terms of usability and UI design. I find easy to use email and online access is really important, I do loads of research and reading on the go.

Personally I use an iPhone but if that didn't exist it would be a Blackberry and if that wasn't available I would drown in my own puddle of tears.

Apr 3, 08 9:43 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

aqua, where can one go to get the scoop on these "unlocked" Nokias? And will Cingular/AT&T work on one, in the US? How do I transfer my sim card?

Apr 3, 08 10:00 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

lb im calling you now to talk about things you love~

Apr 3, 08 10:21 am  · 
 · 

nokia makes some cool ass phones. But what I don't understand is how they can convince design conscious Europeans to buy phones that are almost 25 mm thick!

Apr 3, 08 10:39 am  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

good point architechnophilia, specially when it comes to the Nokia NSeries, it just has the full package but, let's face it, it's thicker than most Pocket PC's.
I personally like the Nokia E90 better than other Nokia headsets, at least it IS a PPC.

Apr 3, 08 11:33 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

lb - an AT&T/Cingular sim card will work in any unlocked nokia phone that uses the GSM network. Just pull the sim card from your current phone and slip it in the new phone. Turn on the new phone and it will work. That's it, easy as pie. I have a nokia N-series and use AT&T network. T-mobile is also a GSM network in the US.

You can research the phones on nokia's website or just do google searches. Most retailers on ebay will also let you know if the phone will work with your network.

I really like my n-series because the 3.2 mega pixel camera is more than enough for site trips. Added a 1GB SD memory card and can go on site op trips for weeks and never have to lug around an additional digital camera. Also synch it with my outlook calendar so know my schedule when on the road. Usually leave the blackberry behind when I'm on the road ~ can respond to emails at night from a laptop...and no blackberry has image quality like nokia has, ditto apple.

Apr 3, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
nsproductions

motorola motofone

e-ink display
cheap
gsm dualband

direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/motofone/

Apr 3, 08 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
aaandrew

Sprint and Verizon don't use TDMA. GSM uses TDMA.

Spring and Verizon use CDMA, which is actually a better standard than the TDMA used in GSM. It allows greater bandwidth with less interference, and contrary to what aquapura seems to think, is also newer than GSM.

But the point still stands that Nokia GSM phones rule.

Apr 3, 08 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

I need a cellular that is camera (quality for field photos) voice recorder, email, calendar, interwebs, mp3 player, and ideally a slide projector for presentations as well.

And while I’m dreaming, it must have a “secretary” mode to screen all unwanted calls and a laser-tape measure as well.

Where the eff is the innovation?

Apr 3, 08 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
orion

i totally second the alphorn...
too bad they are like 3k-5k+

Apr 3, 08 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Sorry, I misspoke aboutCellphone Networks earlier. But, it doesn't excuse the fact that CDMA phones are proprietary. You cannot just buy one off ebay, slip in a SIM card and start talking. Everyone I know with Verizon/Sprint goes through several days hassle everytime their phone breaks. I however just pull and old one from the drawer and am talking in minutes, thanks to the SIM technology. I also can go anywhere in the world with a GSM phone and talk. GSM network is over 80% of the global standard. With Verizon you have to get a special "world" phone. Also, CDMA is isn't nearly as mature as the GSM network thanks partly to the proprietary nature of the technology. There are advantages/disadvantages to all celluar technology, but I for one am sticking with GSM. Mostly because the sweet nokia phones are all GSM.

Apr 4, 08 9:02 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

"In other words, the best cell phone for an architect is the cheap one."
lb, i beg to differ. I have a blackberry, and though it was pretty cheap after rebates etc (about 100$), it gets expensive with the $40/month blackberry service charge and internet etc.

However, I cannot live without it, or any other smartphone anymore. Sure, I get all the email very quickly, but i also use it incessantly for google maps, checking up stuff on the web, movie showtimes etc. I can understand why people call it the crackberry.

Not a looker, but very 'powerful'

aquapura, you are right about GSM networks, however, in most parts of the US (including large cities), CDMA coverage is much stronger and widespread, specially in hilly areas. Not to mention that EVDO internet on CMDA phones is faster than EDGE for GSM phones. As for the phone inter-changeability issue, verizon, starting sometime this year is going to support ALL CDMA phones. Including sprint, alltel, and also cdma phones from, say S. Korea. I predict this will be a huge accomplishment for the CDMA standard all over the world. My next phone, however will be the sprint world phone, that has a gsm simcard also in the phone.

Apr 4, 08 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I never thought I'd be an Apple convert, but I think the iPhone is amazing!

Showing clients animations on it is a deal clincher.

Apr 4, 08 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
outed

iphone - go with it or the blackberry if you have some serious, enterprise level email management programs.

the iphone has it's quirks, though, that will hopefully be resolved with the june software update...

Apr 6, 08 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i love my iphone!!! camera is great (except for the fact that it doesn't handle spaces without good lighting very well). email is great. calendar is great. being able to listen to itunes on my walk or ride to work is dandy. i love not having to carry my phone and camera around when i am out on site.

Apr 6, 08 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I am in the market for a new mobile phone and I would love to get an iPhone....that is if I weren't so loyal to T-Mobile. I've just always had really good experiences with them and so I'm hesitant to switch. And I know there's a crack and if that were easy/not scary and/or illegal, I would do it. But it seems trickier than I'm willing to deal with right now.

Apr 6, 08 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

wonderK, buying an Iphone from at&t and subsequently unlocking it is not THAT difficult these days.
From my friends' experience, at&t works mostly wherever t-mobile works, so you are not likely to have coverage issues with at&t

Apr 7, 08 12:17 am  · 
 · 
PodZilla

I have a samsung blackjack (first generation), and pretty much its only good feature is the full QWERTY keyboard (actually typing qwerty is an odd experience by the way... try it and you'll see what I mean). Otherwise, It's a windows mobile based smartphone, and is really, really, really buggy. Example: Going into 'missed calls' and selecting an entry... If you hit the red button instead of 'back' or 'done', every time you go back into missed calls that same entry is displayed. No way to revert without switching off the phone. Also has a quirky alarm that has made me miss more than my fair share of morning classes!

On the plus, I suppose the form factor is pretty nice. iPod-sizeish, and about 3/8ths of an inch thick. Big screen, though I wish some of the buttons were a tad bigger. I love the blackberry-style scroll wheel on the side. Really handy for emails.

I'm personally holding out for the next-gen iPhone, when they hopefully crack the 'lots of music storage in little space' issue. My 40 gigs of music will find a new home then.

Apr 7, 08 4:19 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i like my UIOP keyboard...but i'm right handed

Apr 7, 08 9:02 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

PodZilla, from what you said and what I've heard from others, I don't think I would dare buy a Windows Mobile smartphone.

and sameold, I guess it's not THAT hard. But I'm busy and therefore lazy. If someone wants to do it for me and then hand it to me that'd be awesome, LOL.

Apr 8, 08 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Mintern

My boss is an architect. He has a jitterbug cellphone. Someday when I'm an architect, I'll probably get one too!

Apr 8, 08 1:52 pm  · 
 · 

how old is your boss, damn

Apr 8, 08 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
randscraper

the dieter rams nostalgia fest isn't just at apple, though you could fill your pockets with iphones for the price of one of these.

Apr 9, 08 11:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: