Archinect
anchor

RIP Ralph Rapson

treekiller

The godfather of Minnesotan Modern passed away on March 28th at 93 from a heart attack.

Nothing in the main stream obits yet, but the U of MN College of Design sent an email to students with the sad news.

Mar 31, 08 10:00 am
lmnop15
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/03/31/rapson/

MPR had a front page on it this morning and an interview with his son.

Mar 31, 08 10:15 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

that's sad news...but his 93 years and impressive body of work are certainly accomplishments to be proud off.

Mar 31, 08 10:44 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

he was working in his office friday.

Mar 31, 08 11:17 am  · 
 · 
whatevertect

He was an amazing man. He still attended AIA events and never looked 93 years old. The most amazing thing was that he only had one arm and still managed to draft and do amazing renderings.

Mar 31, 08 11:23 am  · 
 · 
treekiller
star trib

Mar 31, 08 11:28 am  · 
 · 
treekiller
Rapson Architects
Mar 31, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
miss chief

I worked at the Guthrie as an usher in the late 80s and early 90s, around the time the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden opened (it's now celebrating its 20th birthday). In a renovation for its 25th anniversary, he Guthrie had already lost many of Rapson's original touches, particularly to the facade. Still, the theater interior felt much like what the sketch above belies. I can still tell you that it seated 1441 people, that the colored seats made the house look full when it wasn't, and that nobody was more than 50-odd feet from the stage.

At Christmas a year ago, I went to the Walker Art Center, and both gasped and cried when I saw a backhoe through Rapson's original Guthrie. I still wonder why it had to be knocked down, why it couldn't be preserved. It was a special place and while I love the Jean Nouvel-designed building as well, it's sad to see Rapson's major work disappear.

Mar 31, 08 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
CDES

has an obit on their home page

Mar 31, 08 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
link
Mar 31, 08 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

thanks to AP for finding this editorial memorializing ralph

Apr 1, 08 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
latimes

and still nothing in the NYtimes...

Apr 1, 08 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

did Nouvel's pritzker kill Ralph?

Apr 1, 08 9:54 pm  · 
 · 
RNNR

No doubt due to thousands of hits and those saddened by the news, RR&A has changed its home page. A fitting tribute to a master, yet at the same time one of the best tributes he could ever have would be to display his illustrious portfolio as well as influential career as a teacher -- though no website can really capture that.

Rapson always wanted to be 'carried out on his drawing board' and that was nearly the truth. He was doing his life's work and what he loved all the way until the last minute.

I'm not sure of the status as of now, but most recently he was due to have another chair released at this year's ICFF. Part of a competition held by Dwell, and produced by Blu Dot, I imagine they'd do everything they can to introduce another Rapson design.

Apr 3, 08 12:53 am  · 
 · 
miss chief

Am much appreciating all the thoughtful discussion on Rapson. I posted on my blog about him (citing also this discussion here)...

Apr 3, 08 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
RNNR
NY Times
Apr 3, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

finally.

Apr 3, 08 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: