Archinect
anchor

Moving to New Orleans

ess

Hi everyone.
I’m writing because – as the title mentions – I’m moving to New Orleans at the end of June. I’m thrilled for the chance to explore a new (to me) and deeply rooted city, its culture, pace, history, climate, vernacular design, rebuilding effort, sense of community –the list could go on for miles and the reasons for this move are longer and more involved than I want to get into on this particular thread. So instead, this is a simple request for some solid information from those who know the city best – native and resident New Orleanians.

My husband and I have been doing heaps of research about every facet of the city, but we realize that the missing link of this long-distance info-snacking relates to talking to people that actually live in the city; Craig’s List and NOLA(dot)com (and so many other websites) are only so helpful. If you’re up for the challenge, we’d greatly appreciate if you might share some of your insights regarding one of the biggest questions we have at this point: the where-to-live dilemma. If I had to set up a list of priorities, I think it would look like this:

1. Safe Community.
We’ve been looking at everything from local blogs to official NOPD crime blotters regarding this aspect of the various neighborhoods. The city seems to have great and varied communities, but we want one that is and feels safe; period. We also are just north and south of 30 years old and would like to live in a place where professionals, artists, families, older people all contribute to making and protecting a viable community.
2. Walkability.
We’ve been pedestrians for the past three years and spoiled by terrific public transport and an easily walkable city. We will have one car and our hope is that we don’t have to use it a great deal. My husband is a teacher and will be working at one of the schools in the Recovery School District so there is a chance that, depending on his placement, he’ll have to drive to work. I hope to take the bus, streetcar, or walk to my (unknown and future) firm. Also, we’d like to live in a spot that has a vibrant local center with shops, restaurants and everything we need (grocery, pharmacy, hardware store, etc.) within a mile’s walk.
3. Flooding.
I don’t know if we’re crazy, but we’re not so concerned about this (…are we crazy?). If we don’t live in a high-ground area, our goal is to find something on an upper floor. Please feel free to pull me out of the clouds on this one.

The last thing…what do you love about the city? What is your favorite aspect of living there/being from there? If you have any encouraging, positive, or thoughtful insights on what to look forward to, we’re excited to hear it.

Thanks so much in advance for what you have to share…truly.
Cheers to all!

Mar 30, 08 3:30 pm

I have actually considered moving their in the next couple of years. Only it seems like the kind of place that could be great for young, socially active professionals..

Plus i love the food, music and Creole culture....
Gulf-Coast Louisiana has a lot to offer.

Mar 30, 08 10:01 pm  · 
 · 

So i guess what i am saying is i will be interested what people have to say pro-Nawlins. But also interested in seeing what decision you make.

Mar 30, 08 10:01 pm  · 
 · 

awesome, its encouraging to hear that people are wanting to move to NOLA. I feel in love with the city on my first trip and have thought about heading down there on a number of occasions, but the city is far from vegan-friendly and that is something I'm not sure I could deal with on a daily basis. the people are amazing, and being a New Englander the attitude completely knocked me off my feet the first time around. I know its the jazz city, but daily life definitely moves at a more blues-type speed, or even a Merle Haggard speed.

all of this is from my handful of trips to NOLA, so remember what you paid for it. if I'm completely off target on anything someone please correct me as I don't want to spread bad info about a place I've grown to love...

the thing you gotta remember about NOLA is that just a couple blocks from a nice neighborhood can be an area with a higher crime/poverty level. some people like it that the different groups are close to each other, some people aren't into it.

driving very much seems part of the way of life out there. the bus seemed to be a lot of places, but the trolley seemed focused on the tourist areas.

French Quarter:
the further you get from Bourbon St. the better, pretty much anything two block outwards is far enough away that you don't have all the drunk idiots around. a couple weeks ago I was a block out on Dauphine and it wasn't that bad. parking really, really sucks though. Frenchman St. is a great area too, more of the local party place than Bourbon.

Magazine Street:
hip part of town, only went through there quickly once at night but was pretty cool.

Garden District:
really nice, and I'm assuming really expensive. went through it on the trolley but didn't really spend much time walking around.

S. Carrollton St. area by St. Charles:
another hip place, good eats around here, definately a more laid back vibe than the more tourist areas. larger amount of college kids here due to its proximity to what I recall as being Tulane

OC Haley Blvd.:
Did some work here, this street just got its Main Street recognition and is looking to really pick up over the next couple years if things go as planned. pretty much anything off of OC Haley is a different world.

Mar 30, 08 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
ess

Thanks for your responses so far; I love that a city exists that draws such excitement about past visits and future potential. What you mentioned, Pixel, regarding the shake-up of neighborhoods is actually a plus in my book -- as long as safety remains the top feature of the locale. In fact, I feel often like I live currently in a little precious snow globe and so the thought of living in this fondue pot of people from different places, socioeconomic backgrounds, ages and race is actually incredibly appealing to me. New Orleans seems to have an overwhelmingly infinite supply of local culture hinged in each neighborhood of the city; your suggestions above echo that point and about that I couldn't be happier. We're trekking down in May to find a place to live and hope to narrow down our search to several possible neighborhoods before that visit. I know that the best way to make a call is through the beat of our feet -- walking the area and seeing where we'd like to hang out hat -- but I'd still love some insight on this question. If any NO residents are out there, I'd love to hear from you, too.

Thanks to all!

Mar 31, 08 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
freebornman

i'll put my two cents in -

as far as safety is concerned - its tricky. uptown is your best bet, around tulane for the most part. parts of the area around magazine street is pretty cool as well, that's the place for the bar/food/etc scene that isn't a complete tourist trap. not being negative, but i've had several friends mugged in uptown recently, even being the most 'safe' area. just have to be alert, crime is a real factor still. i would avoid anything east of esplanade(east side of the french quarter) if you want safe-all-the-time kind of security, but there are some pretty cool bars in that area. as far as pedestrian city goes - not really. the street car is running again, but its not exactly speedy. biking in the summer is HOT and you will sweat gallons. def recommend a car for sanity. if you live and work in the CBD or warehouse district you might be able to walk and use cabs, but even that would be a pain. bus system is sketchy. backing up what PW said earlier, neighborhoods change block to block. on your visit i would just rent a car and dedicate a good two days to driving the city to get a feel for everything. if you have any specific questions that i can help with let me know...

Apr 21, 08 11:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: