Archinect
anchor

WINDOWS ON WALLS

joy mondal

i am confused about d principle of positioning windows on walls.....???

middle or left centric or right centric??

Mar 23, 08 6:05 am
bowling_ball

*blink*

*blink*

Mar 23, 08 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

facing out, typically

Mar 23, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

position one on the ceiling!

...or floor

go crazy.

Mar 23, 08 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
randomized

I always put my windows in the lower left corner

Mar 23, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
joy mondal

this is wat im r refering to....everyone has his fancy....isnt there any definite rule or principle???

Mar 24, 08 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

classic study in window postitioning:

Mar 24, 08 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

or don't use any at all

Mar 24, 08 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

if all else fails, floor to ceiling butt-glazing

Mar 24, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

depends on what is on the other side

Mar 24, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
abracadabra

close your eyes and start marking with your pencil on the blueprint and repeat saying;
"it's all good, it's all good," until somebody says, "that's enough windows, let's do the doors."

it works with high end buildings...

Mar 24, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I think everyone is confused by what you're asking, joy.

There are no rules, really. Keep two things in mind:

1. Some building codes require a guardrail at 42" above the floor if your glass goes below 24" above the floor, in other words, if someone could fall out the window. This doesn't apply in residential. If you want that clean, open, butt-glazed to the floor look, it can be done, but I'm not sure - anyone else help out with this please?

2. Art is typically placed at 60" above the floor, this is a typical "eye level" height. If you want a view out, make sure the window falls with glazing at approximately eye level. Of course if you're sitting down in that space, you'll want the view centered at about 48" above the floor. If you want to give someone a beautiful view of the stone outcropping on which your house is built, you'll want the window at floor level and stopping at 24" above the floor - I'm recalling a beautiful window John Patkau did as I write this...

Really there are no rules.

Mar 24, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
SoMeInSpIrAtIoN
Mar 24, 08 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

doors are usually 2'-8" x 6'-8"...unless they are a different size. You usually want (but not always) want to align the top of the windows with the doors...

I like to make my doors 7'-4" high and use this as a datum

Mar 24, 08 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

doors are usually 2'-8" x 6'-8"...unless they are a different size. You usually want (but not always) want to align the top of the windows with the doors...

I like to make my doors 7'-4" high and use this as a datum

Mar 24, 08 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

sill heights are usually at 24", 32", 36", or 48"

you should not place a window in the corner of a room (unless you want to) because people will put bookshelves (between 12" and 24") deep against the adjacent wall.

Think about how the room will be used and go from there.

Dont put a window in front of a brick wall (unless you live in New York City, where shit like that is okay to do)

Mar 24, 08 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

sill heights are usually at 24", 32", 36", or 48"

you should not place a window in the corner of a room (unless you want to) because people will put bookshelves (between 12" and 24") deep against the adjacent wall.

Think about how the room will be used and go from there.

Dont put a window in front of a brick wall (unless you live in New York City, where shit like that is okay to do)

Mar 24, 08 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

got the double-post itch mdler? Still, good points.

"Windows let the outside in!"

Mar 24, 08 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable

Locate them whereas they serve Natural light and ventilation requirements, and at the same time afford views and allow for usable wall space within that room.

Mar 24, 08 6:07 pm  · 
 · 

there is no rule. stop looking for rules before it is too late. even the common sense ones don't always work. check out this house/office by atelier bow-wow. they put floor to ceiling windows right next to neighbor cuz if they didn't they would have to live like hermits. it is brilliant.

even one sided windows have had their day, applied over concrete...

rules? we don' need no stinking RULES.

but bottom left corner and double sided works for me.

Mar 24, 08 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

make faces

Mar 24, 08 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i really dont like butt glazing... its played... along with spider fittings and patch fittings...
frame your openings like they are on purpose... make them powerful and selective...a response to use function and site.

Mar 24, 08 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
Renewable
In The Rear
Mar 24, 08 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell
frame your openings like they are on purpose... make them powerful and selective

That's nice, lletdownl.

I've never liked spider fittings either.

Mar 24, 08 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

i've always wanted to put windows between the upper cabinets and the countertop

Mar 25, 08 4:01 am  · 
 · 

^FRO, from a house i did in 2006

these are from the first house i ever did to my name, 1990-91. the clients and i were really satisfied about this space. there are really no rules with windows as long as you do them in space and frame the exterior and manipulate light etc, etc.;

knee height window with tall opening

some people think i just write, but i am also an architect.

Mar 25, 08 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Jeeeeez, Orhan.....so beautiful. So, so beautiful.

That "cased" opening detail is exquisite.

Mar 25, 08 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice orhan.

Mar 25, 08 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

I always find a room with windows on multiple walls more interesting, due to the ever changing quality of light based upon time of day or night and time of year.

Mar 25, 08 4:48 pm  · 
 · 

orhan that is veeery fine work. i like the framed opening as well.

i knew we were channeling someone impt when we did this. now we know it was orhan!

Mar 25, 08 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: