Archinect
anchor

Vladimir Ossipoff

Found this gem. I had never heard of him. Any other info out there about him?

http://www.honoluluacademy.org/ossipoff/

Presented by the Honolulu Academy of Arts. It also makes me want to go to Hawaii, what a great setting for modern architecture.

Dec 20, 07 8:16 am
Weronika

Interesting web site also.

Dec 20, 07 8:18 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

That is a slick website indeed. (Even though its flash!)

Dec 20, 07 9:26 am  · 
 · 
Jayness

this guuy rocks

Dec 20, 07 10:04 am  · 
 · 

Hey that website is awesome.. Especially the photo gallery navigation.
I really like some of his buildings to....

Very tropical yet still modern...

Dec 20, 07 11:05 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i wonder how hard it would be to start a practice in hawaii

Dec 20, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Weronika

Any climate that allows you to open walls up as broadly as this without any screens is certainly a benefit. Also you don't have to worry about heat or insulation for that matter. A lot like LA and Mexico. I've always been jealous of that climate. Its easy to be more experimental when conditions are more...hospitable.

Try designing something like this in the American South. You need a laser net just to keep the bugs out.

Dec 20, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
kyo-ko

it seems like this caliber of architecture though is hard to find nowdays, at least in honolulu and on oahu. everywhere i go in honolulu, i see big box development, high-rises and storage facilities going up!!! it's sickening. a lot of the wealthier private residences also are huge and hideous. although the climate is great, you'd be surprised by the amount of places which close in the indoors rather than open it up.
i believe starting a practice would be pretty tough in hawaii, but there's definitely so much potential here...

Dec 20, 07 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

i like this - I always what there was to see in Hawaii architecturally

Dec 21, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 

i like this - I always what there was to see in Hawaii architecturally

Dec 21, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

"I always what there was" -huh

Dec 21, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

That website is basically brilliant. I don't even know how you would begin to lay out something like that. The buildings are nice too ;o)

Dec 22, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
kyo-ko

hey, so i went to the exhibit. for me (and i would assume for most architects), the models built by dean sakamoto were the highlight of the show. they were mostly clean basswood models. other than that, the show had text, old docs, drawings and blown-up photographs.
in hawaii, the exhibit seemed to get quite a bit of exposure through the newspaper, local news, etc. maybe it's signifying a renewed interest in quality architecture???

Jan 15, 08 3:58 am  · 
 · 

nice work. quiet, like it like it.

i've been in the honolulu airport. it's nice, though a little junked up since the picture on this site. it makes great use of the fact that it's always nice outside. no long passages with moving sidewalks, etc, like we've gotten used to > you just pass out into a breezeway and walk outdoors!

Jan 15, 08 7:35 am  · 
 · 

Just came across thi sarticle in Metropolis Magazine.
[url=http://www.metropolismag.com/cda/story.php?artid=3318]Modern Paradise
Though largely unknown outside of Hawaii, architect Vladimir Ossipoff created a singular body of work that fully utilized the lush tropical climate of his adopted home.[/url]

May 23, 08 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

Woops...
Modern Paradise
Though largely unknown outside of Hawaii, architect Vladimir Ossipoff created a singular body of work that fully utilized the lush tropical climate of his adopted home.

link

May 23, 08 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

this system of web has a limit on the works display... good for someone who finish making buildings.

May 25, 08 10:52 pm  · 
 · 

I think i agree with you, aspect.
You mean as a facade/shell, right?

May 26, 08 11:53 am  · 
 · 
aspect

i do not know the exact term, cos u are uploading everything in one page at the very beginning... i think there is a data limit for this kind of flash or else will crash very easily, the first time i upload this page, the loading time is too long for a .com by today's standard.

and there is a reason why most of living architects/artist do not use this kind of web display...

May 26, 08 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

Oh,
Your talking about the exhibition website.....

May 26, 08 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
atmos

going to visit his liljestrand house in a couple of weeks. kinda of excited to see it.

Nov 6, 08 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

Hey guys, 

I'm a student at the University of Hawai'i School of Architecture, and I have been running an indiegogo campaign in attempts to raise money to make the Vladimir Ossipoff architectural documents available to students and professionals. Check out the online campaign, I think many of you would take it into interest http://igg.me/at/ossipoff/x/5019102

Oct 20, 13 9:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: