Archinect
anchor

Archinect Travels

∑ π ∓ √ ∞
http://www.archinect.com/travels/

Marlin, Team,

Great work look forward to more of the video series. Marlin, did you make it to Arcosanti?

I am jealous.

k.

Dec 11, 07 5:25 am
vado retro

Tahnks Marlin!

"The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes." MP

Dec 11, 07 6:46 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

So exciting! Can't wait to see more.

Dec 11, 07 7:08 am  · 
 · 

having never taken a road trip anything like this - really not having seen the west - i'm looking forward to it too.

love the minimal soundtrack music. effective.

...and i think you might have a career in movie trailer voiceovers if this architecture thing doesn't work out.

Dec 11, 07 7:20 am  · 
 · 

this is a huge and quality work marlin. congratulations for getting it outhere. it really is great!

Dec 11, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Great stuff! The best 10 min of my morning so far. Can't wait for the rest.

Dec 11, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, we're really excited about this new section on Archinect. There's A LOT more footage coming from Marlin in the coming months. The plan is a new video episode every week! Stay tuned...

Dec 11, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

man, that is so good. really impressive. looking fwd to the next one.

Dec 11, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
"...native shaman..."

did you join the shaman in travelling the inner depths of the mind via hallucinogenics?

Dec 11, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
smallpotatoes

thanks for doing this Marlin (and team)...I've travelled by car all over the west and there is no end to discovery out there. Congratulations on a great introductory episode - you hooked me and I will be looking forward to the next segment!

Dec 11, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

awaiting marlin's next installments on archinect travel webtv is more exciting than project runway this season.

Dec 11, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I have a feeling this will be my new crack.

Dec 11, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
Evan Geisler

well done.

Dec 11, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

marlin- we'll need to get archinect resident documentary film maker business cards for you. it's great to see it finished!

Dec 11, 07 9:02 pm  · 
 · 

amazing marlin...glad you made it to chi-town!

Dec 11, 07 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

it's good to know that archinect finally has its own charles karault.

Dec 11, 07 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
aml

fantastic. love it.

... as an aside, that voice sounds really good : )

Dec 12, 07 9:01 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

steven you haven't taken a road trip or been out west?

you haven't lived

Dec 12, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

Thanks for the love. As for most people, it's encouraging.

Beta, I don't know yet if I'll have time to see Arcosanti. Stay tuned.
Vado likes it. I feel like i dodged a bullet.
Damson, watch the episode.
E'rybody, aml, potatoes, john, stephanie, orhan, p2an, thanks. I'm equally as curious to see how this road trip pans out in the podcasts. I hope my hair line pans out better than Mr. Kuralt's.

Dec 12, 07 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
Chris Ford

Marlin:

Just found the link, and I watched it once, non-stop all the way through. Well done. Very well done. I imagine it takes some significant time to edit -- Can you share the amount of time it required to edit, compile, and narrate?

I have been toying with the idea of offering a motion graphics course for architecture students -- Your content sets a nice precedent.

Warm regards,

Chris

Dec 12, 07 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Forget about architecture! If you weren't already from LA I'd tell you to go there now! I watched it before leaving work this afternoon and I have to say, not only the quality of the voice over, the footage, the editing, but the writing is so good as well!

Dec 12, 07 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

so this is ongoing? i got the sense that this was all in the can already. well marlin i don't know if you plan on getting to the Twin Cities, but if you do, be sure to look us all up. good luck with the travels and stay safe, and don't eat the brown acid.

Dec 13, 07 5:28 am  · 
 · 
John Cline

awesomeness

Dec 13, 07 8:56 am  · 
 · 

way to go Marlin, I was wondering if you fell off the face of the planet - great to know that you were busy moving along the western highway...great vid, you might a secondary calling as a director

Dec 14, 07 10:12 am  · 
 · 
****melt

Wow!!! Great dialogue and a great voice. Can't wait to see the next episode

Dec 14, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

...as always, thanks for the love tuna, John, FOG Lite. I should also send a heartfelt thank you out to the people who have donated so far to the raw cost of the road trip: Paul Petrunia, Nicole Schiller, Alexander Walter, John Devlin, Orhan Ayyüce, John Jourden, Aaron Plewke, Ludwig Abache, Heather Ring. I hope to repay you all with episodes that don't suck. (Shameless Plug: you too can donate to the cause!)

Chris: glad you enjoyed the episode. The time it takes to create each episode, as it goes for most people, depends on the zone i'm in: sometime i can get 'em done in a day, sometimes a week. TV isn't necessarily evil and motion graphics is far from one of my strengths. Consider directing your students to Modern Marvels or Build it Bigger. If a Rosetta Stone that communicates how to create a narrative is what you're after, Jeffry Inaba directed me and my classmates to this four dollar comic book, which seemed to do the trick.

architechnophilia: Director? I'm still no pro at this. Above average amateur maybe.I feel like this road trip is a a religious pilgrimage and the videos are my dues to the architecture gods. Yep, aside from working i've been pluggin' away at getting AT up and running. Stay tuned. Episode Two goes up tomorrow afternoon.

Dec 16, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

actually an architectural roadtrip series of documentaries could prolly get financed and made and sold...

Dec 16, 07 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

"The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."...i was reminded of this quote, Vado, after being forced to watch 2 Girls 1 Cup.

Dec 16, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
db

great job all around Marlin. It was a blast meeting and working with you when you passed through STL. Can't wait to see more of these (and esp THAT one).

There's a great travel quote one of my students had on a t-shirt the other day. I can't remember it, but will post it when I do.

Best of luck for your future.

And BTW, John Berg @ Dressel's asked about you the other day and sends his regards.

Dec 16, 07 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I havent watched it yet, but i will. Interestingly I noticed that my old mate John Devlin is an individual sponsor... intriguing...

Dec 16, 07 9:11 pm  · 
 · 
Episode 2

is now online.

Dec 18, 07 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Ok guys, I'm way behind but Marlin I'm really excited for this. Kudos for the undertaking and good luck with everything. I'd love to help sponsor you but on a grad student's salary I'm afraid I can't muster more than some encouraging words :o/

(PS. I think I know what you are talking about with that "2 Girls...." reference, and if I'm right, I'm sorry)

Dec 18, 07 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Listening this morning on NPR to discussion of the newest campaign strategies in Iowa made me wretchedly hate the world.

Hearing Marlin drives with his windows down makes me love the world again. Thank you guys for this.

Dec 19, 07 9:58 am  · 
 · 
emaze

Well done! What great commentary on the Phoenix Library. That building is so incredible. On my first visit, I spent the entire day there, and didn't even pick up one book!

Dec 19, 07 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Marlin

Doug: It was a pleasure to meet you in St. Louis; tramping around downtown with you will likely be one of my favorite interview sequences from this podcast. Above that, drinks at Dressel's made for one of the highlights of the trip. Owner and bartender John's hospitality and conversation was prime rate. I only regret that that I didn't tape any of it, but that's one of them things i'll keep for myself. Send John my regards. He might be the last American to successfully rock the Rollie Fingers curly-q moustache. As a beard man myself, all my thanks and regards start there.

diabase and wonderk: pull up some cheetos and gatorade around episode 20 one weekend and snack 'em all in like a "I love the '90s" marathon.

I made lib love the world again. w00t! It's worth noting, as a California kid with otherwise no reason to travel to Iowa, now actually having visited Iowa and seen that state adds tremendous context to the barrage of coverage on the Iowa caucuses. One of the top three buildings I visited was in Iowa...

thanks emaze. Yep, the library's quite a building. I think i did the same on my first visit. I love it when architecture can make us ignore its function for a moment.

As always, I'm glad people enjoy the episodes, so thanks.

Dec 19, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

Hall of Famer and modern relief pitching pioneer Rollie Fingers

Dec 19, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
db

wow -- Rollie's a perfect match (or mash-up as the kids wld say) between you and John Berg

and yeah -- since you liked it that much I'd say you should come back for a year or two. I think there's a few folks here that together we could get a real rise going.

but yeah, really glad you had fun here.
again, good job and good luck on...

Dec 19, 07 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I strongly recommend, to everyone enjoying this travelogue, that you go to this page and donate a bit to help finance its production. Think of the endless hours of enjoyment and education you get from Archinect, for free (or even better, while being paid by your employer!), and give a little. Thank you.

Dec 20, 07 9:48 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

lb, do you moonlight for npr? i think that is verbatim the npr pitch.

Dec 20, 07 9:56 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I listen to NPR pretty rigorously, but as stated in my post above, while NPR about half the time pisses me off, Archinect Travels is nothing but joy.

Now: would you like a free coffee mug?

Dec 20, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 
****melt

I REALLY want to visit that library, after watching that episode. Man, that place was awesome!

Ahhhhhhh! To drive with the windows open. Can't wait 'til it starts getting warmer.

Dec 20, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 

Oh my goodness. So I just watched episodes 1 and 2 (couldn't wait any longer)....this is tremendous. Marlin, your voice is like butter! I want to be a sponsor.....Obama doesn't need another $25 from me, right?

I think this might get me through the writer's strike.

Dec 20, 07 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

yes marlins got the goods. i got a backstage tour of that library as the librarian said you look like an architect etc. this was after i just sort of sauntered into the staff only area of the library. my mom lives in mesa. today is her birthday!happy birthday mom if youre reading this!!! did you get your flowers???

Dec 20, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
db

Marlin --

is there any schedule for when subsequent episodes will be finished. I'm really not trying to rush you or anything -- however, the STL episode would be great to show to my class later this month.

thanks again for all your hard work.

Dec 31, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I'm frustrated at having spent the morning trying to find out who did the renovation to the Scottsdale Civic Center Library - which is an arm's length east of the SMOCA, which I believe is one of Marlin's next stops - and not being able to find it.

The original Library, by Bennie Gonzales, was a huge influence on my childhood and decision to become an architect. Sadly the renovation is, IMO, pretty crap, and most likely Marlin did not give it a glance while there. The Bruder Museum is, of course, fantastic (and when I was a kid, and it was a theater, I went to movies in it: Watership Down and the Bakshi version of Lord of the Rings are two animated ones I remember, Monty Python's Holy Grail, I even think the first time I saw Fast Times was at that theater!).

The point of my sentimental moment here is: I can't wait to see the new episode!

Jan 2, 08 11:41 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

lb I was involved with Bennie Gonzales on a project and I think he
was certainly a big influence on most people from the valley of the gods who ended up in Architecture. I was always fond of his bank building on CamelBack near the Biltmore Plaza. Unfortunately the
project never got beyond the wrapping paper colored wall murals which were created for the project. I would love to know what ever
happened to those grand drawings.

Jan 2, 08 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Liberty: The answer is ADP....Anderson, DeBatolo & Pan. You may
recall their Tucson Office. As I recall DeBatolo son worked for Will Burder. DeBatolo left ADP and I think it is now a Phoenix Father Son Act.

Jan 2, 08 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

snook, I think you are right - but is ADP still a firm? I know DeBartolo 2and3 are in business in Phoenix and seem to be doping good work. Jack DeBartolo (3 - I think I have the numbers correct) was a year or two behind me in school, I don't rememebr his work then but the firm website looks pretty cool, though that blurry text makes my eyes hurt.

Whatever version opf ADP did the Library renovation sure managed to suck out everything good, poetic and appropriate about the building and turn it into just another trendy glassy mishmash. Too bad, as the original Gonzales design as so cool: dark and shady and full of interesting calm quiet. I was pleased to read he is still alive and living (and practicing!) in Nogales; I may have to send him a fan letter.

Jan 2, 08 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

Episode 3 is now online.

Jan 2, 08 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Oh thank goodness! I just discovered that my free cable went away and I was preparing to face a Project Runway-free night. Now I have something to look forward to!

Jan 2, 08 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

when can i get the DVD with the extras?

Jan 3, 08 12:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: