Archinect
anchor

What the eff?

boxy

Ok, I've been studying the math portion of the GRE for some time now and I still have no idea what an up arrow does. For example: 2 ^ 2 but imagine that the tip of that arrow has a stem so that it looks like a real arrow. anyone have an idea?

Nov 28, 07 1:14 am
franciscoalarcon

2^2=4

:)

Nov 28, 07 6:45 am  · 
 · 
minimalicious

^ = to the power of

Nov 28, 07 6:52 am  · 
 · 
minimalicious

for instance 2^3 actually means 2x2x2

Nov 28, 07 6:56 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

it's amazing how quickly we forget fifth grade math when we don't use it. i couldn't remember what the carrot meant either.

Nov 28, 07 10:19 am  · 
 · 
med.

The '^' symbol is the thing you use on your calculator to do exponents.

2^2 is

2 to the 2nd power.

I was confused about all the symbols on the GRE when I took the exam. Had I studied for the math part, I would have done a little better. Oh well.

Nov 28, 07 10:50 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

i had trouble with the vocab.

Nov 28, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
med.

I thought the vocab part was easier for me just because I have always been interested in the etymology of English words and the English language in general.

Don't get me wrong, I still did a less-than stellar job on that part too. No big deal. It was a boring and meaningless exam anyways.

Nov 28, 07 11:13 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

yes, it was. math was my thing, but i can't speak english.

Nov 28, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
boxy

i'm talking about a different symbol. it actually looks like an arrow pointing up... like this:

usually it's in place of an = sign, like x (up arrow) 0

Nov 28, 07 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

What study source are you using? Does it not have some kind of symbol key in it somewhere?

An arrow symbol like that isn't a typical math symbol - and it's not something you'll see on the actual GRE. I'm betting that your study book is using that in place of some more common symbol (like the carat that the posters above were assuming you meant.)

There's an up-arrow symbol in formal logic, and something similar in chemistry, but I'm positive that you won't need to know that for the GRE.

Nov 28, 07 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Well, in math there's a thing called Knuth notation, also known as "up arrow notation", that uses that symbol. If there's only one arrow then it is the same as a carat, and it means "to the power of". But if there are multiple up arrows together in a row then the grammar is different. Like if you have a 3, and then two up arrows, and then a 3, then it means "3 copies of 3", which is 3 to the 27th power, which is a huge number. That's a system of notating iterated exponentation, which is not something you want to be looking at for the GRE. I'd look for a less confusing study guide.

Nov 28, 07 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

If you really want to get a head ache.....go to alternative methods
of Chapter 34 of the 2003 International Building Code.....If you want to do a logical path you might be able to make millions from Architects. The thing is so fricking twisted and turned....that it makes
no reason at tall!

Nov 28, 07 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Using 2 and 2 is a horrible teaching example.

Jeebus.

Nov 29, 07 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

It points to Heaven. It's short for In The Year of Our Lord.

As in

2007^ ~ 5768*

Nov 29, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
kyll

(light chuckle...)

year of our lord...

Nov 30, 07 9:49 am  · 
 · 
Jamchar

I took the GRE a few months scored very well on the Math section and I have NO idea what the arrow is.... so you dont need to know it it wont be on the exam

Nov 30, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

I was a math major in undergrad, and I've never seen an up arrow used as an operation between two numbers before.

Its possible that the book is using an up arrow to "define" a function, meaning

x (arrow) y = (some function of x and y)

so, for example,

if x (arrow) y = 4x + 3/y -8xy, then

5 (arrow) 3 = 4*5 +3/3-8*5*3 = -99

There are specific questions on the GRE where they use random symbols like the arrow in this way.

Dec 13, 07 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

john last me at math major.

Dec 13, 07 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

der - lost

Dec 13, 07 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

by the way, how do I spin my statement of purpose so it appears that being a math major has any relevance whatsoever to architecture?

Dec 14, 07 2:24 am  · 
 · 
goodtastingsteak

i just took the GRE this past august and i'm pretty sure that arrow thing just serves as a symbol that could be substituted w/a + - / x sign.

it gives you examples or something and you figure out which symbol replaces it and then choose the corresponding equation that works with that.

the math portion on the GRE was pretty basic in terms of the complexity of the concepts covered. i didn't learn any new math concepts in college from high school and the highest level of math i've taken is AP calc (ab); having forgotten everything from that, i was okay in the math portion.

Dec 14, 07 2:40 am  · 
 · 
a-f

If you're strict with symbols, it's actually the Sheffer stroke, or the logical NAND operation. But I guess you're not making binary number calculations?

Dec 14, 07 3:27 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i love walking home from work @ 12 (sober) and having to deal with drunk assholes physically and verbally harassing their gorgeous dates they don't deserve. aww, did the cops spoil your fun?

Dec 14, 07 3:42 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

or... hot girls dating abusive, short and obese pricks-wtf?

Dec 14, 07 3:44 am  · 
 · 
cadalyst

ti83 y0

Dec 14, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: