Archinect
anchor

non-traditional schools

design_geek

is anyone aware of any other non-traditional schools such as sci-arc out there?

Nov 20, 07 12:37 pm
Living in Gin

Define non-traditional. What sort of degree program?

Nov 20, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 

taliesin's pretty non-traditional.

Nov 20, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
some person

ITT Tech is non-traditional, as well.

Nov 20, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

m.arch, non-traditional in the sense that they do not conform to the standards set by university academia. "experimental" in their approach teaching.

Nov 20, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

what is the reputation of taliesin's program?

Nov 20, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I don't think "the standards set by university academia" can be defined as one homogeneous category. For example, Yale and Columbia are both "traditional" M.Arch. programs at Ivy League universities with stellar reputations, but seem very different from each other in terms of their approach.

Nov 20, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

Cranbrook Academy of Art

Nov 20, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

i am not so much talking about their approach to architecture per se, but more about their approach to teaching methods. i beleive that it is safe to assume that yale and columbia both teach architecture in a manner very similar to that of the university of _________.

Nov 20, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
minimalicious
http://www.sfia.net/index.asp

retro-wrightian, and non accredited experimentation.

I do not condone such phrases

Nov 20, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

The University of what? You'll need to be more specific about what you think the "traditional" methods are, and about what you're looking for.

Nov 20, 07 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

is cranbrook accredited? i feel like i read somewhere that they were not.

Nov 20, 07 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

They are not. They cannot do what they do and be accredited... that's why I would put them in the non-traditional definition I think you seek. There are no classes, no grades and no given "program" to design your building around.

Nov 20, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

i don't think i can be more specific than saying traditional university methods. think of the polar opposite of common university methods.

Nov 20, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
minimalicious

community college?

Nov 20, 07 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

lol, i am at texas tech right now, which is extremely traditional in their teaching methods

Nov 20, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

any accredited architecture program is going to be fairly "traditional," i.e. they gotta teach their structures and et and all that fun stuff along with studio. i'm not sure why you think sci-arc is so out there.

the one exception to the accredited rule is taliesin. that place is crazy. i have no idea how they got accredited. it's a bunch of frank lloyd wright munis hanging out in the desert, practicing "organic" architecture. i think it would be a cool experience, but you'd have to be very strong-willed not to become a zealot.

Nov 20, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

do you not consider sci-arc an experimenta program?

Nov 20, 07 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

maybe in the 70s.

Nov 20, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

experimental sorry, everything that i have read seems that they are very different from the "traditional" architecture school

Nov 20, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

they lose their accreditation from time to time. but at taliesin, they do have classes for structures and things like that, and they also get on the job training at taliesin's architectural office. i believe they take a normal studio course like everyone else. it is a communal lifestyle, living in a tent in the desert. different, but it's a legitimate education, with a lot of hands on construction work. wendell burnette went there. also, the students aren't doing frank lloyd wright architecture outside of the office. it's pretty comparable to what you'd see anywhere else. the main reason not to go there is you'd be missing out on the university experience, and the housing development a hundred yards away means you'll be living in a tent in someone's backyard, which kind of ruins the romance of the whole think. if flw were still alive, he'd of moved it a long ass time ago.

Nov 20, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i think you are stuck with cranbrook, arcosanti, taliesin.

i know someone who did a summer here, but it is not a degree program:

http://www.ecosainstitute.org/

Nov 20, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
minimalicious
http://www.yestermorrow.org/

is always a summer option too

Nov 20, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

that is somewhat the type of programs i am wanting to churn up. that sounds really cool except for living in someones backyard in a tent....smores and ghost stories, lol

Nov 20, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

it is a shame that hardly any of these programs have their accredidation. seems like this option is only going to be good for a post-professional program.

Nov 20, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

SCI-Arc is experimental?

Nov 20, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

compared to texas tech....

· 
minimalicious

no, i think it is just a marketing ploy

· 
garpike

You could get an accredited degree, then pursue your experimentation.

Nov 20, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Sorry, I forgot to insert the <sarcasm> tag.

Nov 20, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
minimalicious

experimentation in cad monkeying 101

Nov 20, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

... as in <sarcasm>SCI-Arc is experimental?</sarcasm>

Explain how Texas Tech is different from SCI-Arc? It is simply the lack of a university setting? I ask as a UCLA grad working down the block from SCI-Arc. I am yet to find "experimentation" beyond that found at a university.

Nov 20, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

looks like thats the choice, i only have 1.5 years left for my m.arch at ttu

Nov 20, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Oh! Are you looking to transfer?

Nov 20, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

i really don't know that much about sci-arc....everything i have read makes them seem fairly innovative, minimalicious is probably right that it is just a marketing ploy.

Nov 20, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
minimalicious

cooper union is a little kooky also,...bit late for a transfer i'm afraid

Nov 20, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

not looking to transfer, but considering going elsewhere for grad....i will be finishing my undergrad in the summer

Nov 20, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

cooper union is just undergrad, correct?

Nov 20, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

that yestermorrow is new-agealicious with the fonts and logo...

Nov 20, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

no lie, they're pimpin' design/build

Nov 20, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
dlb

1) Cranbrook Academy of Art is accredited. it is accredited as an institution of higher learning. it's architecture program is not accredited as part of the educational process of registration through NCARB. there is a big difference.

2) th AA (Architectural Association) is accredited as part of the ARB and RIBA process of becoming a registered architect in the UK, but you would have to say that its teaching and pedagogical structure do not follow regular processes.

3) Cooper Union has just started a Graduate course in Architecture. not sure its status.

4) Berlage Institute has a very different structure to most schools of architecture. it is not accredited for USA registration, but is so for European or Dutch registration.

5) Stadelschule - Frankfurt - another school that operates within an accredited government structure but which operates in a way that is quite distinct to the more "traditional" graduate institutions.

Nov 20, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
minimalicious

that's damm[right]son

Nov 20, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
minimalicious

Bear in mind, the AA will send you to the AA.

Nov 20, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Wait you said finishing m.arch in 1.5. You aren't in grad school?

Nov 20, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
minimalicious

I think ttu has this half price off grad degree scheme.

Nov 20, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

1 year (including summer) grad program after completing undergrad here at ttu. haven't heard any news about half price anything.

Nov 20, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

graduating with my bach. in summer

Nov 20, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Oh, so a BS or BA? Or a BArch? Important question.

Nov 20, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

dlb....great list, is it difficult to go from being registered in Europe to being registered in the US?

Nov 20, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
design_geek

BS, should have stated that....sorry

Nov 20, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
pvbeeber

If you are so dead-set on "non-traditional" without being able to define what that means to you, be careful that you're not just rebelling for rebellion's sake. What is it about "traditional" schools that bothers you so much? I think you're going to have a lot of difficulty finding a "non-traditional" school that can put you on the track to licensure (i.e. is accredited), if that's at all important.

Nov 20, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: