Archinect
anchor

the good, the bad, the turkey

treekiller

Turkey or not to turkey, that is the question!

the thanksgiving thread is open...

Nov 19, 07 10:38 pm
b3tadine[sutures]

say no to bird killing. go veggie.

Nov 19, 07 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i'll have the typical
mashed potatoes/corn/yams/bread

all mixed together

b

Nov 19, 07 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

cornish game hame - tastes better, cooks in 1/6th the time.

Nov 19, 07 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Turkey. Stick it in brine the day before.

Apple pie, too.

Nov 19, 07 11:17 pm  · 
 · 

the turkey, the turkey, the turkey

homemade stuffing from the freezer, mash potatoes, handmade gravy (with wine, minced neck meat and diced gizzards), steamed asparagus, cranberry sauce (i don't eat with turkey plate), 2 nd and third serving and eat even more while doing the dishes. pies... thanks.

Nov 19, 07 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I'll probably end up going to a local diner and ordering whatever looks good at the moment.

Nov 19, 07 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

3 turkeys and a goose. for some reason the vegetarians are killing, cleaning, and cooking the goose.

true story.

Nov 20, 07 2:18 am  · 
 · 

whatever mother-in-law makes....and i'll like it.

Nov 20, 07 7:03 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

When I lived in Houston several years we had brisket and once a crawfish boil. Mmm, they know how to eat in the south.

Nov 20, 07 8:26 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

roots, greens, and cranberry fluff.

Nov 20, 07 8:57 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

since we'll be by the beach this year we're having king crab, with what else I don't know but I do know i prefer sea dwellers to land dwellers.

Nov 20, 07 9:02 am  · 
 · 
n_

Two words:

Fried Turkey

Nov 20, 07 9:30 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

two more words:

Burnt House

Nov 20, 07 9:37 am  · 
 · 
aseid

bought a turducken breast, picking it up tomorrow, feeds 7-8

was going to make the turducken myself but not enough time and dont want to use the fam as guinea pigs for my sick meat fetish

Nov 20, 07 9:41 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

heathens. i am calling PETA.

Nov 20, 07 9:50 am  · 
 · 
4arch

i'm gonna throw a frozen solid turkey in boiling hot oil in a propane turkey fryer in my garage...and let the fun ensue!

Nov 20, 07 10:00 am  · 
 · 
4arch

say no to veggie killing. go bird.

Nov 20, 07 10:01 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

ha. no turkey for me this year - but almost everything else on the table! except for the cranberry jello salad my mom makes.

does anyone else's mother make this? it's like fruitcake stuff in jello. blech.

Nov 20, 07 10:24 am  · 
 · 
rozz

Turkey, mom's stuffing, green beans, mashed potatoes, throw in a couple of sweet potatoes, stuffed 'shrooms, and the best part- my mom's coconut flan- muy delicioso! I'm in charge of the wine this year...To Beaujolais or not to Beaujolais- that is the question?

Nov 20, 07 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Turkey with grandma's sage dressing inside. Homemade cranberry sauce, farm rolls, and gravy. The pumpkins are being baked now to be made into pie on Thursday. Potato's from the farm up the street and the turkey coming from a farmer around the way.

We just had a lovely first coating of snow so everything feels more festive and holiday like.

Nov 20, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

I think we are doing steak this year... much to my families horror (they won't even be attending). Otherwise, I love a good stuffing, sweet potatoes and random casaroles made with 8 sticks of butter.

Nov 20, 07 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

laurilan, you reminded me I need to get stuff for 5-in-1 "salad" (yes salad in quotes) which is a jello-ish thing my husband grew up with on the Thanksgiving table. Let's see, it's called 5-in-1 becuase it's one cup each of five things: coconut, pineapple, mini marshmallows, sour cream, and....dang.

I have to remember. It's like a running joke tradition that simply HAS to be there!

Nov 20, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Alos, if I do yams I'll do them savory, not sweet - I like them mashed with garlic and Sabbathday Lake Shaker Italian Seasoning.

Nov 20, 07 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

FOGLite

do you have any room at the table for me?

Nov 20, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

lb, my grandmother liked to fix that salad! It is quite the concoction.

Nov 20, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

seeing how tumbless dog's snoring kept me up all night, I may be having roasted French Bulldog and gravy Thursday

Nov 20, 07 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

manderine oranges?

Nov 20, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

like steven said... whatever my mother-in-law cooks... i'm wondering if i can somehow volunteer to cook the turkey without it being apparent that i think her turkey sucks... my turkey is so much juicier and flavorful... i'll also be making some stuffing for myself once we get back home with the leftovers... thanksgiving is all about the stuffing for me and the m-i-l's version just doesn't do it for me...

on a tastier note... my wife made an apple pie for the first time this weekend as a test run for thursday... it was good... i'm looking forward to the slightly improved second run...

Nov 20, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

It takes a long time to get the hang of making pie, many test runs are necessary.

delicious, delicious test runs.....

Nov 20, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

come on over mdler, just bring me a double double animal style and a place at the table is yours.

Nov 20, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

I'm looking forward to the day when I can deep fry my own turkey in peanut oil... which means the purchase of a rather large torch, a big pot and lots of propane.

Nov 20, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the secret of good pie is the crust. Keep your butter COLD while you are making the crust and use COLD water. The water, once heated, will turn to steam and make your crust nice and crispy....im sure Mightylittle has a thing or two to say about crust

Nov 20, 07 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

beta- got extra greens in the garden, wanna drop over for some thanksgiving day chard?

Nov 20, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Does anyone have a preference for Turkey Basters?

Nov 20, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I'll be at the sister in laws, so I'll be surprised if there is anything better than cranberry in the shape of a can. That's why I bring the wine...

Nov 20, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

boca burgers for me!

Nov 20, 07 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

although I really wish I had thought things out and could bring a tofurkey.

Nov 20, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

the real secret to a good crust is to use strait up lard, not for the faint of heart. More like the weak of heart.

Nov 20, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

Nov 20, 07 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

i hate to admit it but the cranberries in a can are one of my guilty pleasures.

Nov 20, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

get a GREEN turkey

Nov 20, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

'killa... according to the green turkey article, you should be able to get a local turkey up there in the north woods...

Nov 20, 07 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I love jellied cranberry.

Nov 20, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

turkey? forget that i'm goin' for the hot beef sunday

Nov 20, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Why not have both?

Nov 20, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

wine with turkey? bourbon goes much better with the bird and all the trimmings. (I like to add a couple shots to my apple pie too).

not turkey in the 'killa household since the wife is adverse to all cooking for a few more weeks. We may even boycott the relatives place out in the country (even though my garden would love to get some composted manure from their horse paddock)

Nov 20, 07 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Turkey just went into the brine. We don't have a big enough pot so it's in a double plastic bag in a cooler half sull of ice. We're using the Chez Pannisse brine recipe which was the first one to ocme up when I googled "turkey brine" - it sounded good.

Got the Oomegang yesterday along with all other supplies but! seeing the invisible can up there reminded me I did not get any cranberries. I'm not a fan of cranberry jelly/preserves/whatever, even fresh, so should I skip it? Or will my guests be outraged?

Nov 21, 07 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

When shall I show up tomorrow?

Nov 21, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

shocking, i know, but i'm not cooking anything this year. in fact, we're ordering in our dinner.

there's too much going on this year...no time nor real desire to get involved. there's going to be just two of us on the couch, the trusty chesapeake retriever at our side, two/three movies, a few episodes of Freaks and Geeks, maybe a bottle of Brouilly. that kind of thing.

it could be worse!

Nov 21, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Happy Frednesday!

(It's so nice in the office. Especially now that Thuesday is gone.)

Nov 21, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: