Archinect
anchor

Thesis choice dilema...

huntch

Hey,
I'm trying to decide between two potential thesis topics...the first being a college prep public highschool with an emphasis of health and fitness/exercise integrated and reinforces the curriculum. So I wanted to explore how spatial environments can reinforce the healthy/exercise lifestlye into a way of life....the site is located in the southern waterfront in san francisco...the second potential topic im thinking about is a little out there.....its a sort of movable architecture that utilzes an old railroad track that goes from oakland california to lake tahoe....along the 100 + mile track/terain, my idea would be to have several key stations along the route as hubs....hubs for lodging, eduction, housing...etc.. the teme would be to incorpeate the idea of transitory architecture, combined with a mechanical essence...let me know which if any sound potentially interesting.....i know its not a lot of info...but any feedback would help....im not interested in doing another museum of community center (which seems to be what everybody likes to do at my school)

Nov 17, 07 8:50 pm
THREADS

"reinforce the healthy/exercise lifestlye into a way of life"
"incorporate the idea of transitory architecture, combined with a mechanical essence"

both are not much of a thesis statement although both have potential to be interesting studies. I know they are sort of roughed out sketches but the way you are framing the problem sounds more like a final project rather than thesis research.

Nov 17, 07 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
JordanS

Im more interested in the idea of transitory architecture and the mechanical essence.

Nov 18, 07 12:18 am  · 
 · 
c.k.

a thesis is a statement on the state of architecture distilled in one project. so you start with that, not with the program/site.
otherwise what differentiates thesis from other studio projects, aside from the fact that you get to pick your site?

Nov 18, 07 4:42 am  · 
 · 

to expand on ckl's comment: what issues intrigue you about architecture - things that you've picked up over the course of your career so far - that you think you want to build on and learn more about? that should be the germ of your thesis. jordanS comment (2 up) is more appropriate as a statement of intention for a thesis.

both sound interesting and could result in intriguing projects, but they sound so different from each other that it doesn't sound like either are things that you have any real personal compulsion about exploring. most of the responses so far are reactions to the fact that it SOUNDS like you're looking for some kind of a cool factor more than you are looking for a path to explore.

if i skip the preaching and respond to what you've asked directly: the second scenario sounds cool, but also fairly irrelevant to anything out in the professional world. the first one, because of its relevance and the potential for application to real projects, sounds a little less fun.

Nov 18, 07 7:30 am  · 
 · 
huntch

Thanks for the responses...Yeah these are not really thesis statements but beginings of ideas....But I understand what you mean.....It's so tough to pick what I'm interested because there is so much....---CKL--I agree.....
Ive been trying to look up as may thesis projects as i could....to read the thesis statent....but i need to look harder.....---Also, what is your opinion about how important the thesis project actually is in terms of getting a job afte graduation....Is it better to have a more "conceptual" project or more "realistically applicable" project? Of cours it depends on where you interview...but if you have some thoughts about this, Id really appreciate it!

Nov 18, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
huntch

Another question.....At our school, by the time we finish our year of thesis work, we HAVE to end up with a building...not an urban planning project or some machine.....which could be positive and negative i guess...what do you think the key to making a successful/relevent thesis--regarding the fact that it has to be a building at the end...

Nov 18, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
huntch

Another question.....At our school, by the time we finish our year of thesis work, we HAVE to end up with a building...not an urban planning project or some machine.....which could be positive and negative i guess...what do you think the key to making a successful/relevent thesis--regarding the fact that it has to be a building at the end...

Nov 18, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

I think the most successful theses are the ones which represent a very personal interest - you shouldn't try to tailor it to what's expected of you after graduation.
the fact that you have to have a building is what makes it worthwhile and is hugely important because it's how you test your idea - you may find out that your statement didn't stand this test or that it became too diluted when turned into a building, all of these are possible outcomes and the experience is invaluable either way. Which is to say a thesis with no building is no thesis, it's only a study or a hypothesis.

Nov 18, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
THREADS

another possibility could be a component, or a portion of some structural concept.

Nov 19, 07 12:58 am  · 
 · 
cvankle

always start with globalization, then get lost in the arch. theory and misinterpreted phil., finally use the program and site to pull it back to reality. That should get you through the first semester with flying colors. Find a thesis advisor that isn't teaching any other classes that semester/year.

Nov 19, 07 1:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: