Archinect
anchor

Yet Another!(Portfolio)

masman8

This is the current state of my grad portfolio. Having trouble backing away from this thing. Any and all comments are welcome and appreciated. http://hosted.filefront.com/masman8/, (the file name is low-res2). The cover is in the works.

Nov 13, 07 7:56 pm
masman8
http://hosted.filefront.com/masman8/

(the comma got caught in the link)

Nov 13, 07 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

the construct thing looks really cool.

Nov 13, 07 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

The actual content is well-organized and coherent. Your sketchs at the end are awesome. Personally, I would replace the photography with a couple more sketches, but that's subjective.

If you are going to print this... you know the deal... printing all-black sheets doesn't work out so well sometimes. Same issue with binding and having content too close to the spine.

Also, where you have text over an image, it is a little difficult to read. Maybe you can try test prints as is, and then try making the background image transluscent so that the text can be better read.

I like what you did with the contents page, where you title each project using a different font. But there is something about it that doesn't seem right... maybe it is the fact that the page numbers are all the same font... I don't know. I like the idea, but something about the execution doesn't have the elegance of the rest of your portfolio.

BTW, that construct project is really cool. I remember seeing it published somewhere. Nice work!

Nov 13, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
masman8

Thanks guys! I should specify, this portfolio is for APPLYING to grad school, not graduate work. My wording up top was misleading. Sorry about that.

Nov 13, 07 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I like the void chair.

I am not a huge fan of black backgrounds. They are a little outdated and can be a pain to print. That's just my opinion... I much prefer a white background or full bleed photo with contrasting text. I agree with Medusa's qualms about text on photo, though it really works well on page 39 (good for titles, but not body?).

Nov 13, 07 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
C. Leigh

I'm also applying this year, though I don't think we're in the same pool (non-Arch background from me, Art History degree). If you do keep the photos, I'd advise not using the black background with the photos that have a predominantly black background. I was once presented with a book of a noted local photographer's work, and all I can remember about it now that it's lost was the hideous contrast between blacks.

That being said, your sketches are lovely, and the construct project is fierce.

Nov 13, 07 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
masman8

Wow, the comments so far have been unbelievably helpful!

Nov 13, 07 11:39 pm  · 
 · 

i like the adobe house reno into artwork project. quite cool.

the black background doesn't appeal to me either, and i would prefer more white space in general...but the content itself is pretty good. the self-portrait is maybe my fav illustration, but they are all quite good. some clear skills there.

some of the overlapping text on photos made it hard for me to read. that is ok if the text doesn't matter (rem does it fairly often i have noticed), but i never enjoy it...

well done.

Nov 14, 07 12:08 am  · 
 · 
cadalyst

my port sucks, so everyones port threads give me inspiration.

Nov 14, 07 12:28 am  · 
 · 
boxy

is this for m.arch 1?

Nov 14, 07 1:06 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

That Construct project, I have seen it on someone else's portfolio. Someone here on Archinect posted it, dont remeber who. Must have been a team project. I agree that project does look cool....

Nov 14, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
masman8

Yes, for m.arch 1

Nov 14, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
cvankle

Ah a fellow Clemson alum eh? Must say your portfolio is light years ahead of what I had after graduation. Good luck, glad to see the program seems to be moving in the right direction.

Nov 14, 07 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

i think it's good work, but be careful with the team projects. if the diagrams and sketches are not your own you might want to think about labeling them and giving credit where credit is due. i've seen the constructs project a few times before so just be careful.

Nov 14, 07 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
mleitner

masman

how did you digitalize the pencil sketches on page 15? Those are great.

Nov 14, 07 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
masman8

just scanned them at 300 dpi and placed them in an illustrator file

Nov 15, 07 12:04 am  · 
 · 
masman8

i'm not really happy with the FLEX project, def some issues, any suggestions??

Nov 15, 07 12:05 am  · 
 · 
n_

I think it's a great portfolio with some minor tweaking.

As stated above - I'd lose the black background, possibly add some opacity to the project photographs that have project narrative placed on them, and ditch the photographs. I think the photos are great but, compared to the rest of your portfolio, they stand as the weakest link. But, I'd keep the self-portrait photo.

I love the self-portrait photo. You should make that your portfolio cover and have the entire photo wrap around the spine so it becomes your front and back cover.

Nov 15, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

i think the content is great, but the format is distracting. you are using too many different fonts and color. keep it simple and let the work do the talking.

Nov 15, 07 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
ldaye

there is a lot of good info, but as mr. bojangles said "be careful with the team projects." make sure you emphasize your contribution to the project and let the rest fall where credit is due. ... especially when you have classmates contributing the same projects and applying to the same schools. its important for the jurors to identify you apart from the rest.

i would also put an individual project first as oppossed to a group project. to me, i don't think a portfolio needs to be long. It seems to me a lot of your projects are group and its often hard to decipher what was your contribution was other than being 'intimately involved?' it is clear in the lighting scheme, and is prob the best example of exemplifying your contribution to a group project, but it is 2 pages out of 13 of the construct.

you are very capable and i think that the jurors will see that once you clearly recognize your efforts in each project. there are some intriguing images that are of high quality. good luck!

the chair is amazing!

Nov 15, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: