Archinect
anchor

Visiting Cuba

jgeis

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for things to see in Cuba, for an architect who's going there in less than a week.

I've searched past threads and found some interesting book recommendations and political discussions, but I'd be more interested if anyone can offer more concrete urban or rural sites that are not to be missed.

I appreciate your help in advance!

Nov 11, 07 12:07 pm

jgeis, great that you are going to Cuba. I will for the safety of this thread assume you are not American

notwithstanding...I would suggest you go to Havana particularly the old city. They are doing lots of renovations at the moment and it is really a dramatic place. The central parliament building/court is an interesting site with its inlay marble walls and floors, as too is the university of havana.

Also try getting out of the city...veradero, although a touristy location is blessed with some interesting sites on the way, including the school of plastic arts.

other than that I'd say hang out at the local bars, drink mojitos with cigar in hand and ask around. It is safe enough to get a local tour guide (check the school of architecture at U.Havana) to show you some cool sites

Nov 11, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
jgeis

Architechnophilia--

Thanks for the tips.

Anyone have any information regarding Modernist architecture there?

To clarify what I said in the first sentence of my post, it is for an architect friend of mine.

Nov 11, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

some pics from a trip i took (legally through an American school allowance for an ongoing research project).

The dude I am sitting with in the last photo is Max Borges, a GSD grad that built the famous modernist Tropicana Club, Club Nautico, and the Latin American stadium in Havana. I would check out the Vedado neighborhood, eat ice cream at the beautiful Copelia in front of the Havana Hotel (also worth seeing). Go check out the schools of arts . Eat the pungent cheese street pizza that is like 20 cents, it is delicious.

Check out this dude's Cuba flickr set to get more ideas of where to go.

Nov 11, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I don't know if you have enough time to get your hands on it, but this guidebook is definitive:

http://www.amazon.com/Havana-Guide-Modern-Architecture-1925-1965/dp/1568982100

Nov 11, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

I don't completely understand what it means that you can't visit Cuba as an American--I mean, the mechanics of how they would prevent you. If you get on a plane in, say, Jamaica or something, do they refuse you boarding if you have an American passport? Is that how it works? I've always been curious.

(For the record I hold a non-american passport so no worries that I will get into trouble, I'm just curious about how a government can actually make that kind of pronouncement and enforce it.)

Nov 11, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
jgeis

Gracias por la info, Quilian! Your research project looks pretty incredible. The Borges work will definitely be checked out, as well as the School of Arts. Great!

Nov 11, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

if you are an american it is illegal to go to Cuba even with another passport. No one will stop you from Mexico or Jamaica and in Cuba they will NOT stamp your passport, BUT if you are somehow caught it is a fine of $7,500.

CNN

Nov 11, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Myriam... although the US government can't prevent a US citizen (or permanent resident) from visiting Cuba, spending money there is a big no no unless it is done under very specific circumstances, all requiring previous government approval. Most gringos who go there fly to Toronto or Mexico City, and then buy round trip tickets in cash. Once you are there, using credit or debit cards is also prohibidado. Get caught and you will get a letter from the Feds, a minimum fine of $7500, and up to 10 years in jail. Thanks a lot, Florida.

Nov 11, 07 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

you are welcome jgeis!

Nov 11, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

we Jamaicans have no problem facilitating any Cubans into America (or vice versa)

Nov 11, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

If you have time, go to Cayo Ensenachos. It is one of the most memorable places I have ever been to. The drive there is incredible because you are driving on a roadway that is built right on the water, and you pass several tiny little islands. The beaches at the end are just incredible. It's probably the most beautiful place I have ever been to. This was in 1999... things might have changed. I hope not.

If you want to get a taste for the vernacular, head to the province of Camaguey. Camajuani is a large-ish town there, surrounded by tobacco and sugarcane fields where you'll see lots of traditional thatch houses.

If you want to see colonial Spanish cities, check out Trinidad and Cienfuegos. Get there early because it turns into a ghost-town in the late afternoon when everything closes.

Matanzas is a large city (comparable to Havana) with a lot of modern architecture and nice plazas. There is a really famous apothecary (I forget if it is in Havana or Matanzas, but you can google it) that is worth checking out. The interior is all mahogany shelving with little white china jars. It was still used as a pharmacy when I was there. Matanzas also has beautiful underground caverns.

In Havana, you should go eat at Bodeguita del Medio, which is the birthplace of the mojito and a place where Hemingway used to hang out. It's kinda touristy, but it's still a cool place to check out.

I recommend driving, since public transportation is almost non-existent other than the jam-packed buses (camellos). Most people hitch rides from people with cars. However, if you are going to drive, I remember gas being really expensive. I was getting gas on the black market, but I don't recommend it unless you're there with someone who knows what they're doing. Getting caught buying black market goods can equal prison time.

Nov 11, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

Oh, yeah... and everything is falling apart there. If you want to see stone and brick facades (just the facades) of buildings being propped up by what appear to be wooden telephone poles, go to a little town called Remedios. Like, I said, this was a while ago, so they might not exist anymore.

Nov 11, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
jgeis

Thanks for the recommendations, Medusa.

Nov 11, 07 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
n_

Hey Quilian, I just sent you an email regarding this thread. I hope it doesn't go to junk mail!

Dec 18, 10 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: