Archinect
anchor

Object Building Antonyms

nothing_is_everything

Hi,
I've been trying to define non-object buildings. Are there any specific terms for this type of design? "Contextual" and "site specific" building come to mind, but I keep convincing myself that an object building can also be contextual.
Thoughts and examples appreciated.

Oct 15, 07 1:28 am

fabric-buildings
background-buildings
integrated-buildings
urban blocks
field (as opposed to figure)

check out collage city, gd...

Oct 15, 07 7:02 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell
but I keep convincing myself that an object building can also be contextual

Do keep convincing yourself of this, because you are right. They can be.

I prefer the term "background buildings".

I also always liked the terms "contributing" and "non-contributing" as used by the National Register of Historic Places in their Historic District classifications. Not exactly what you are looking for, but their may be some other governmental/definition terms that would apply.

Oct 15, 07 7:10 am  · 
 · 
some person

building as landscape element

Broadacre City

genus loci

Oct 15, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

Steven Ward's suggestion of Collage City is interesting, especially the part where they talk about 'composite' buildings that are simultaneously figure and ground; or you could look into 'field condition' architecture, or the movement in aesthetics from figure-ground to figure-field to the possibility of field-field (ala Eisenman) as for instance discussed by Robert Somol in the afterward to Stan Allen's book, Point + Lines. And, as liberty bell says, there certainly are contextual or site-specific object buildings -- for example as seen in some Aalto, Utzon, Siza, Zumthor or Herzog & DeMueron's early work...

Oct 20, 07 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

object to the object.

Oct 20, 07 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
perturbanist

I think you mean Colin Rowe's idea about collage city...

Oct 21, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

I know collage city is Colin Rowe's 'idea' (along w/ Fred Koetter), I was simply referring to the suggestion to check it out by Steven Ward above...

Oct 21, 07 9:52 pm  · 
 · 

I second (third? fourth?) background buildings, but I have to object to vado's objection, some pieces deserve to shine, the Sydney Opera House, for one ... mmm, I'll objectify that any day.

Oct 21, 07 9:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: