Archinect
anchor

Positive notes

There are 11 positive notes within UN Studio: Design Models Architecture Urbanism Infrastructure by Ben van Berkel and Caroline Bos.

"Positive note 10b Then again (not to contradict ourselves), don't be shy! When all is said and done, architecture does take up a lot of space, so the least you can do is to say something. Make a statement, put across an idea. One of the reasons why we feel Mies van der Rohe is the most overrated architect of his time is that, besides having only one idea and continually repeating it, he said too little. Loos, Semper and Le Corbusier ma have spoken into a void, but their opinions still resonate. It is the construction manager's role to be the silent hero, and that of the architect to be the desperate chatterer, full of bright ideas."

Perhaps Mies was just very, very modern, and thus very, very 20th century.

Perhaps the 21st century, as van Berkel and Bos somewhat suggest, is to be very, very infrastructural.

Perhaps the 21st century desperate chatterer is really the desperate self-linker.

I'm sure there are Negative notes too by a self-linker thinker.

"Positive note 10a Be glad that you will never be famous. ..."

Oct 11, 07 12:24 pm

"...the architect to be the desperate chatterer, full of bright ideas."

To: design-l, architecthetics
Subject: playing hooky
Date: 2001.07.25 15:09

... This may all seem a bit hard to believe, but in the past all I ever saw were these enormous tapestries hanging there, and they never, ever interested me. In fact, I've lately been of the opinion that the museum should take them down, and hang big modern art there instead. ...

To: artforum/talkback
Subject: re: Larry Poons
Date: 2003.02.13 10:25

I wish museums mixed things up more. For example, I'd like to see Poons in a French period room, or Duchamp in a Ladies Room. Brancusi next to armour, why not? Museum as future-shock, sorta. Pick your destiny.

Hold me! Thrill me! Kiss me! You're my pride and joy, etc. Now rearrange me.

=====

Putting some of the most valuable works in some of the most distressed areas of the building creates an almost accidental coexistence between the art objects and their surroundings, encouraging experiment in how to display art.

Old art invaded by new artinappropriate combinations cab enhance the aura of both...

One step further, the inappropriateness itself become a form of art.
--AMO, "The Hermitage Project 2003 2005-" (El Croquis 131-132), p. 381.

=====

I've been wondering what to "do" with Quondam, and now it's clear.

"I wish museums mixed things up more. For example, I'd like to see Poons in a French period room, or Duchamp in a Ladies Room. Brancusi next to armour, why not? Museum as future-shock, sorta. Pick your destiny.

Hold me! Thrill me! Kiss me! You're my pride and joy, etc. Now rearrange me."

Strange too how Quondam has always been a bit of a virtual hermitage.

Oct 12, 07 9:22 am  · 
 · 

Quondam on/off

I started the notion of an on Quondam and an off Quondam yesterday. The on Quondam is the regular Quondam and the off Quondam is where the museum will be experimental and offer an alternative history (of architecture). I haven’t removed the existing Quondam material, and I probably won’t do that until I finish schizophrenia + architectures.

I have more of an idea of what to do for off rather than on. To be honest, however, I don’t know what I’m going to do because I just don’t seem to be interested in any of it anymore. I have all the material in the collected images and the copyright free texts to fill a large installment of on. If nothing else, off will be the opposite of on or perhaps a tangent of thoughts out of the ordinary or even contrary to the norm.

The on/off Quondam was a continuation of the mirror image Quondam began 1999.07.17

I like how animated giffs are being explored again.

Is it the crest or the trough of the wavelength that hits you first?

Ah, a crest Quondam and a trough Quondam.

Is a virtual illusion the same as a real illusion?

Oct 13, 07 11:54 am  · 
 · 

Lauf, I like to hear you think out loud, keep the self links coming!

Oct 14, 07 9:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: