Archinect
anchor

2007 MArch Recommiseration Thread

beefeaters

We are approaching midterms and I though since there are no new school bloggers, we could all post about how our first year/semester in grad school is going.

I am at Columbia, its a lot of work and taken some getting used to. I am learning a lot and am really having a good time in studio. We are working on a climatologist research center, starting with designing their "monitoring cell" somewhat akin to what air traffic controllers do but dealing with the climate. We have our final for this phase of the project (and the midterm) next Wednesday which then we will go on to a larger project. The other classes are going well, I have Arch History 1660-1860, Arch Drawing and Fundamentals of Digital Design outside of studio.

Hows everyone else's semester shaping up? Let us know! We spent so much time on the apps, waiting, etc. now lets hear if it was worth it and how you are enjoying it.

Oct 5, 07 2:38 am
flipflops

It is re-freshing and disheartening to have you entire methodology questioned and eradicated. I am still fighting.

Oct 5, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 

hmmm, I am nowhere near midterms. This is only my second week of classes! Actually, I'm in the process of choosing a topic for a quarter-long project, and working on a couple of shorter projects. So far so good.

Oct 5, 07 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

I am currently in limbo with only two courses and no design/studio class time right now. The design course required for my program (non-arch background) does not start until the spring. So, for now, I am in construction materials and history of modern architecture.

It's strange to not be a part of the studio mayhem. I find myself coveting the late night students working on their projects.

In the meantime, I have joined a team competing in P3, and I am researching the Kaufmann Desert House by Richard Neutra for History of Modern Arch.

I, in no way, regret leaving my well paid, suit and tie job for this path of un-expectancy. I look forward to the challenges ahead.

Oct 6, 07 10:59 am  · 
 · 
SanFranarch9

My first presentation is Mon, final Basswood model etc...
My schedule has been not too bad this quarter since i was able to waive the Arch history course (art history major), but overall going great and I am enjoying it more than i even thought i would.

Oct 6, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
grid

NoSleep > Where do you go to school?

Oct 6, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

hi beefeaters!

My semester is going well and the coursework is challenging in a way I did not expect. The Building Science major does not have design studio so I feel like I spend half my time trying to figure out what exactly my end product should be every time I do a project (which is about twice a week). But, so far, so good.

NoSleep, I agree with you....no regrets leaving the job. I only regret not having saved up more money before I started!

Oct 6, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
bfa7800

next stop pine island!

Oct 6, 07 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
gypsy

SanFranArch9> are you at SCIarc?

Oct 6, 07 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

yale is great. there's a few too many people in our class, but studio groups are tiny (plenty of critics) and in other classes, well, those who seek out personalized attention will get as much as they want. and the temporary building sucks. but it's temporary. can't wait to get back to rudolph, once it's done. pretty stellar architectural climate here.

Oct 6, 07 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I'm dialing in from University of Manitoba, in the great white north.

It's my first M.arch semester, though I have only ever taken a few Enviro Design courses before this, coming instead from an industrial design undergrad a few years ago.

Anyway, I'm having a BLAST and so far, this feels like a much better fit for me than ID. Studio is CRAZY. Studios here are not based around designing a building necessarily. For example, in my studio, we are researching significant anatomical treatises. Where it goes from there is up to the student. It's frustrating but empowering and I'm learning a lot about theoretical design processes. We're going to the anatomy lab in two weeks to watch actual bodies get DISSECTED. Crazy, like I said.

To balance this all out, we have two technical courses: Structures (with an eye to sustainability), and Architectural Technology, which is a more in-depth approach to the former. That course is taught by an engineering firm, which has been benificial for its insight into the real world. I'm not an engineer by any means, but I'm able to follow along, and I'm finding out that it's not as hard as it looks (at least not yet).

There's also History, which was changed at the last minute to some literature course (WTF???). Because of the change, I got credit for some past schooling, so I don't have to take it. Thank god.

And then there's drawing. I've done art and design for 10 years now, and I've learned more in 4 weeks in this course than I had in the previous 4 years, easily. Although it's difficult to keep up with the homework, I look forward to going every week.

Overall, I'm having an incredible time. There's a good balance between the arty theory stuff and the hands-on engineering stuff, which is a nice surprise. Part of our requirement for the year is to put together two portfolios: one for studio, documenting our work there, and the other portfolio is for documenting anything technical. A fellow student told us that after last year when she was looking for jobs, she was offered several on the basis of her technical portfolio. I've been working on a version of mine all day, and I'm actually learning a lot in just going over my notes, photos, technical documents, etc.

Now, just 3.75 more years of this, and we're good to go!

Oct 6, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Oh, and the Studio system isn't based on your year level, but rather on which prof you'd like to work with. As a first year, I didn't get that choice, but in future years I will. My studio consists of 9 first-years, two graduating Master's students, and one phd engineer. Studio sizes are limited to 13 students, I heard yesterday.

Oct 6, 07 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

I am also chiming in on truly enjoying Yale. I like the classmates, and the critics, and karaoke-ing

I JUST WANT TO USE YOUR LOVE TONIGHT
I DON'T WANT TO LOSE YOUR LOVE TONIGHT

with Chase Dammtor.

Oct 6, 07 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Glad to hear Yale is going well... I'll probably try to get back up there for another visit some Saturday this fall. Where is the temporary home for the architecture program?

The Columbia summer program was great... I got some good fodder for my portfolio, my critic offered to write me a letter of recommendation when the time comes for me to re-apply to grad schools, and I got an "A" for the class, which will be accepted as transfer credit by my undergrad program at DePaul.

Although I enjoyed the summer program, it did make me question how much I'd enjoy Columbia if I went there for my M.Arch... I have the feeling that the dominant focus of their program isn't really where my interests lie, and their facilities leave much to be desired.

Aside from that, I'm more-or-less settled in NYC and enjoying my new job. Now that I'm no longer in such a crappy job situation, that has taken the pressure off my grad school ambitions for the time being. I've pretty much decided to sit out the 2008 round of grad school applications while I finish my BA, get more experience, and save up more money. I'll probably re-apply to grad schools for the fall of 2009. Too early to say what schools I'll apply to, but City College is looking like a strong contender. (My studio critic at Columbia is on faculty at CCNY, and he had good things to say about their new program.) I probably won't re-apply to Penn, and I'm on the fence as to whether I'll re-apply to Columbia or not. Anyway, I have plenty of time to worry about that stuff.

Oct 7, 07 12:07 am  · 
 · 
Chase Dammtor

oh namby....

Oct 7, 07 1:30 am  · 
 · 
beefeaters

Nice guys! Glad to hear everyone seems to be enjoying their first semester. So much work but its really enjoyable. (for the most part)!

Anyone have any work they want to show? Ill post some images of my studio project in a few days.

Oct 7, 07 1:34 am  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

namby ... no Outfield lyrics allowed on Archinect. Ever.

Oct 7, 07 9:13 am  · 
 · 
NoSleep

grid - I am at UT San Antonio

WonderK - fortunately, I got a sweet deal with work; they kept me on their payroll and I work part-time from home on my own time. The great thing about it is that it continuously reiterates my dislike for the corporate job every time I "log in" for work.

Oct 7, 07 9:21 am  · 
 · 
JOM

Schools great,

Wish I had time to talk about it!

Oct 7, 07 10:14 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

hello all. Rice has been good. Houston has been wet. Ok, back to work.

Oct 7, 07 11:01 am  · 
 · 
w3

2-weeks in for me. It's been pretty intense - good - but a lot of work. I haven't had a moment to really reflect on all that's happened so far, but I've been challenged a great deal. that said - I need to get back to work as well...

Oct 7, 07 6:32 pm  · 
 · 

w3- still up for thursday?

Oct 7, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
w3

Rationalist - yes.

Oct 7, 07 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

cool. Look for the redhead w/ a nosering (I think I'm easy to spot, Fogey knew me immediately) outside the Henry @ 5pm-ish

Oct 7, 07 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
w3

i have a class until 5...which sometimes goes late. hopefully it's not a big deal if i'm a bit tardy.

Oct 7, 07 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
w3

oh - and i have brown hair and look very ordinary.

Oct 7, 07 8:39 pm  · 
 · 

ok, I'll send you my cell number so that if they give you flak at the door you can call me and I'll come out to let you in.

Oct 7, 07 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
zundfolge

I'm choking on basswood dust, but otherwise enjoying myself. I'm a little surprised by the earlier post about taking structures in the first semester/quarter; i'm not sure if that's better or not, or if it is of little consequence.

Oct 8, 07 4:13 am  · 
 · 
godori

m.arch 1... and i have time to party... thank u God

Oct 9, 07 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

m.arch 1, review tomorrow and i have strep throat... im screwedd

Oct 9, 07 9:14 pm  · 
 · 

I'm in my 7th week at UC Berkeley, and I'm loving it. I'm going down a path that I couldn't have imagined before starting. And I'm working my ass off and so is everyone around me. Ooops, I've already exceeded my archinect time quota for the day, back to work...

Glad to hear people are doing well. Sorry to hear about your aggravations tumbles. Hope things pick up for you soon.

Oct 10, 07 12:10 am  · 
 · 
NoSleep

tumble - i had some of the same problems when i moved. my wife and i purchased a house, and issues continue with the tax appraiser, utility bills, the "remodeled" 1910 house, and transportation. things have begun to settle, but it's taken a while.

i hope time will settle some of the issues and i hope your regretfulness of the education turns around for the better.

Oct 10, 07 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
MossMan

Living in Gin, who was your summer critic at Columbia? I did the summer program a few summers ago. My critic was also on the faculty at City College.

Oct 18, 07 9:28 am  · 
 · 
jhooper

anyone know how long that renovation is going to be going on at yale?

Oct 18, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
+i

it's great to hear how everyone is doing-
LIG, after everything that happened last fall i am glad to hear that you had a great summer and you moved and you're enjoying NYC! that is great!
rationalist + WonderK, sounds like everything is going well for you too!
tumbles, i too had some of the same "red tape" here as well... it takes some of the gusto out of you... but hopefully things have cleared up + you have gotten back to what you went there for to begin with.

i have to say it was really hard for me to adjust to school again. i felt like i had a bit of "bait and switch" once i got here- i thought i would be creating my own schedule which revolved around my research... that was half right.
i have really enjoyed being here at UVA... the grounds are so beautiful- fall was amazing- and today it is snowing. i went to the UVA vs. VT game- which was great... horses, fighterjets, and fireworks- oh my! (we lost, but it was fun anyways)
unfortunately my apartment is too close to a few fraternities... which is both interesting and obnoxious. (and makes me miss my quiet young professional apartment in DC.)
i think my eyes have been opened to new possibilities once i graduate again... which is great. while architects may not view a post-pro degree as that big of a deal, apparently other professions do.

best of luck to everyone in finals + have a great winter break!

Dec 5, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

+i.
Didn't you get into some ivies?..What made you choose UVA?

Dec 5, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I just realized that +i posted a couple weeks ago. I'm sorry I missed her. Hi +i!

Yesterday I completed the last of a series of 3 blog posts about the courses I took this semester, in case anyone is interested. I still really like school and I'm looking forward to my courses next semester a lot. What I don't mention in my blog is that I am a little disappointed in some of my classmates, but that's not exactly the school's fault. I guess I just need to worry about myself though, which I do plenty of to begin with.

Dec 22, 07 2:15 am  · 
 · 
beefeaters

great blog posts wonderk, and your work looks really interesting!

i dont have a blog, but a few images from my first studio:

sections

Dec 22, 07 2:44 am  · 
 · 
beefeaters

great blog posts wonderk, and your work looks really interesting!

i dont have a blog, but a few images from my first studio:

sections

Dec 22, 07 2:44 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Thanks, beefeaters! I really like your building. The section is so clean and readable. Also it appears bushy, am I correct? I like bushy buildings :o)

Dec 22, 07 2:50 am  · 
 · 
kdollaghan

beefeaters --- whose studio were you in? nice work!!

Dec 22, 07 4:43 am  · 
 · 
beefeaters

thanks wonderk + k. i had alice chun for studio.

Dec 22, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: