Archinect
anchor

The Cancer that is Killing Archinect

Apurimac

What is the cancer that is killing Archinect?

1. Newbies
2. Old hats
3 Trolls
5. All of the above.
4. None of the Above (Divine Intervention, maybe EB was right)

Seriously, the forums are seeming even lamer than usually these days, and I know grad school season is over. What's up? Are the stars simply out of alignment?

Sep 21, 07 12:55 pm
cf

Are you saying the problem is the people on this forum?
If so, start culling and banning.

Sep 21, 07 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

problem is, ban who?

Sep 21, 07 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Maybe archinect caught a STD back when it was "pimpin" it.

Sep 21, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

I thought grad school application season was just getting started?

Sep 21, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Maybe we should all just make a pact not to derail threads intentionally.

But, since the forum has to do with things going on in our lives, I would venture to say that either the vast majority of us are in a lull, or its way to exciting to post.

Sep 21, 07 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

maybe its chronic alcoholism

a quick search shows at least 11 threads related to alcholism

Sep 21, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

Apurimac - do you consider yourself a carcinogen? Here are some of the topics you've recently contributed to the Archinect forum:

The Cancer that is Killing Archinect
The OFFICIAL Fancy Graphics Thread!
FOX NEWS
The EVIL thread (click at your own risk)
Israel and Palestine, the hell is up with them?
Anarchists Anonymous
3D-H hits spain!
The Great Archinect Grad School Debate
The revolution will NOT be televised
Are these vile and odious lies?

The quality of the forum relies on the qualities of posts. Don't complain if you're not doing anything to improve it.

Sep 21, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
cf

It caught an STD when "Your Name" left the building.

Sep 21, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Ban the boring thread killers.
(New Archinect T-shirt)

Sep 21, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

hey man, I've posted alot of Architecture related threads. Besides I'm only joshing, its not like I have any other place to hang out on the interwebs. Besides, the graphics thread, the 3D-H thread, the grad school thread, are all serious discussions in my mind.

Sep 21, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

besides, I gave up posting architectural topics because other users didn't comment that much, see the graphics thread for exactly this kind of thing.

Sep 21, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

for their own good, some threads need to be hijacked.

Sep 21, 07 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

i agree, but with power comes responsibilty, i gotta run.

Sep 21, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Archinect is dying?

Sep 21, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
ether

i once peed in an open field.

Sep 21, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
postal

... i think it might be because nectuer's don't realize that 4 comes before 5...

actually, i've been thinking the views expressed on archinect are getting less and less diverse. have we gotten rid of all the eisenman fans? but that's just a casual observation.

Sep 21, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I think I saw chuck norris on Name that Architect and Building!!! thread...

Sep 21, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
TED

not enough brad!

Sep 21, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
clerestory strip™

I have to watch what I post from now on-I don't want to be banned-and I'm sure you're sick of my ___ posts.

Truth be told, I'm sick of them too. :/

Sep 21, 07 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

We need more Mdler

Sep 21, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

im trying! go to The new cities grow and lets talk about the future of cities! for rilly yo

Sep 21, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Paul Petrunia,

With all due respect...

Given all the hijacked threads, bizarre threads, and dearth of architecture-related threads that have come to characterize Archinect recently, THIS is the one that management decides to chime in on and criticize?

Sep 21, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i found pauls post quite funny... and wanted to say SNAP! but didnt

SNAP!

Sep 21, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

Maybe we need to have an 'oldies but goodies' section, where we revive the great discussions from the past.

Sep 21, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 

citizen - it wasn't criticism at all. it was an observation. archinect doesn't dictate what is discussed here, we just provide a platform for the community to use. considering the contributions of this thread creator, we thought it was funny that he is complaining about the quality of the forum activity. personally, i was expecting to see a long list of great contributions from Apurimac, considering his conerns, so i was a little disappointed.

as you've surely noticed, our forum is divided into various sections. if you want to chat about random stuff, go to the random tangents section. if you want to engage in more serious discussion, take your pick from other other sections - professional practice, academia, culture, software/hardware, competitions, regional, general discussion...

if you don't like hijackers, ignore them.

if you want more quality discussion, become more active. i guarantee it will have an effect.

and if anybody wants to take on the responsibility of becoming a forum moderator, contact me! if you've been around here for a while, and proved that you would make a good moderator, i would be happy to elevate your account so you can moderate posts and comments.

Sep 21, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Then how about a little more editorial (not "criticial") posts from the management on some of the other threads? If you decided to comment here, why not some of the really bizarre threads?

Sep 21, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 

the forum is for community discussion. it's not editorial (besides the recent featured discussions with Volume and Verb). for editorial, go to the features or news.

citizen - would you like to be a moderator?

Sep 21, 07 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

paul, feel free to give the new cities grow post some credibility if it interests you

Sep 21, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

hey paul, what do moderators actually do?

Sep 21, 07 3:36 pm  · 
 · 

we've never had official moderators, but this thread is hinting at the fact that archinect's discussion forum could benefit from some moderation.

we would put together a list of acceptable, and unacceptable activity, and moderators would be responsible for deleting unacceptable posts/comments, and occasionally contributing by keeping topics on point. moderators would act as liaisons between the public activity and the site editors. moderators would be responsible for re-categorizing threads that are not categorized properly, or moving a thread into "random tangents" if it goes downhill. moderators would also be responsible for suggesting members to ban. the moderators would be credited, with a link to their profile, so other members may contact them with complaints, comments, or suggestions.

Sep 21, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i want to moderate the moderators.

Sep 21, 07 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
cf

People are complaining about this site being boring and then moderators are suggested? Brilliant?
(ignore, cull, ban)

Sep 21, 07 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

what's your suggestion cf?

Sep 21, 07 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

i have tried a forum in turkey with moderators.
after a while moderators turn into a little cops themselves and start banning posts for a grammer or spelling mistakes or just plain not aggreing with the view etc.
it introduces some kind of a bullshit burocracy/hierarchy and turns people posting anything altogether. most of the conversations turn into 'if this appropriate to post or not debates.' i am against it. and it might kill the forum.
i know it might not work for many but i don't mind post counts be done with it if it is intimidating others. of course after vado retro hits 10,000 and we have a big end of count party.

Sep 21, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
ether

nice Orhan.

Sep 21, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

NO MODERATORS - sure some threads disintagrate and others flurish but thats what a forum is. The grad school threads, as annoying as they are, tend to be cyclical while the threadjacking is just how architects are - they cant shut up for 5 min. So anyways I think its fine, post topics that interest you then.

· 
cf

Back to the original question, Is Archinect being "killed"?

Is it insulting or not to blame your visitors to this site for being "lame" minded? Do you need Moderators to cull the lamness?

· 

If you are bored organize another MAPA (or MAPA-like) project, help me out in the wiki thread. there are plenty of things to do.

· 
Ms Beary

I think I'm going to stop hanging around archinect. There is too much crying going on here. WAHHHHHHHH It's not what I want it to be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 21, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I'm not calling for increased moderation, this thread was started largely as a joke (ref. Vado's Shark Attack!). Paul, understand I love what you've done with the place, but I have contributed alot of meaningful topics to this forum, most of which are architecture related, including many of the ones mentioned by yourself. Why didn't you mention any of the ones directly related to projects, like the Olympic Stadium thread? I have actively tried to get some discussions revolving around architecture, and it is a tough gig. I don't post entires often, and when I do I try to have purpose to them.

That said, I don't mind inane BS (like Mdler's burrito thread, the bucket thread) when it's funny. I posted this thread largely as a BS thread, with a touch of seriousness. Everything has to do with architecture and hence everything should be topic of discussion here. My issue is right now it just seems that we've hit a lull. Maybe I'll try to post another architectural topic after the graphics thread, but try as I might people just don't seem to want to talk about it.

And Q, i think ill drop by your wiki thread again.

Sep 21, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Personally, I don't think Archinect is going down hill or being killed in any way. This isn't a technical CAD forum where the purpose of the forum is quite clear and narrow. Its nice to talk about off-topic issues with like-minded people from all over the world. Sure sometimes there are obnoxious posts and they seems to be increasing (not excluding me of course), but people can sometimes be obnoxious. So what? I think my first exposure to Archinect was that "Separated at Birth" thread which I thought was hilarious. Since then I started posting. Some off-topic, some obnoxious, some attempting humor (and miserably failing) and sometimes what I hoped was contributing to the conversation. We're all professionals here, but we're not robots either.

Sep 21, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

speak for yourself phil...

Sep 21, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Maybe Thread Central should answer the question.

Sep 21, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 

Apurimac - my comments to you were meant to be taken lightly as well.

everyone wants something different from the forum - some like to joke around and chat. what's wrong with that?

some people want to come here occasionally and ask a serious question, and get some serious answers. they should be able to do this, no?

the problem is when the serious inquiry gets drowned out by the regulars who want to joke around and have fun.

the fact is that any forum is what the participants make of it. we do our part by organizing the subject matter, to keep topics related, and asking the users what they would like to see, to improve the forum. this fact is not placing blame on the users. the archinect editorial team focuses their energies in the news and features sections, while the public forms the identity of the forum.

Sep 21, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
PROPHET OF DOOM
Sep 21, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

^one of the main reasons I started this thread was to get POD to post by the way

Sep 21, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
TED

my request.....
1. can we get to add to our post like all the other cool boards?

2. cant we get the time set to GMT - i get tired of converting my brain to PST.

Sep 21, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I agree with the opposition to moderators (if not moderation).

My initial post was a gentle jab at what I perceived to be the management interjecting in one place but not others.

But, this... THIS is a lively and interesting thread!

Sep 21, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Shh, i'm making Copy Pasta!

Sep 21, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i agree with orhan...i've spent some time on some other forums that were moderated and they were pretty lifeless. personally, i love the volume of activity here because it always keeps thing fresh. even the stupid comments give me reason to refresh a page.

moderation puts a little too much pressure to actually write something intelligently...and that's work...and if given the choice between work and nothing most of us would probably just post nothing.

Sep 21, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: