Archinect
anchor

european modern architecture database

just noticed a new online archive of projects, all google mapped.
its new so early days yet, but definitely has potential.

http://www.mimoa.eu/

Sep 20, 07 2:35 pm
aml

nice find, thanks!

Sep 20, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

yes, muchas gracias!

Sep 20, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

p2an-

archinform has .kmz files you can grab as well. not as good on the newest projects, but it is pretty comprehensive.

Sep 20, 07 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

it suffers from the same problems like Archinform and other extensive -in a geographical sense- databases..: I've checked out the buildings in my zone and they have inaccurate data, some misleading phrases in the commentaries for each project, etc...
Archinform has a lot of errors too.

anyway, the site looks nice though (even if the website is a little bit overdesigned... nothing like the fabulous austerity of Archinect!)

Sep 20, 07 5:35 pm  · 
 · 

medit, totally agree re overdesigned. and archinect is fab that it is so simple.

Sep 20, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Matthijs

Archinect directed many visitors to MIMOA last week, so I decided to visit this site and see what people are writing. I am the interaction designer of MIMOA and always interested in people's opinions on my designs. I have to say other sources, like the many blogs on architecture that wrote about MIMOA , are more positive than what I read here.

@Medit; MIMOA just started a few months ago and growing very fast. If the projects in your neighbourhood are not in the MIMOA database, you can just add them! Many people do. That is the great thing about MIMOA. Also, if you see any errors, we made it as easy as possible to make a comment about this.

I am very curious why you think MIMOA is overdesigned. The idea behind the design is that not only architects will enjoy MIMOA, but a much broader target group. That's why we tried to give MIMOA a friendly look, adding some colour and amicable fonts, unlike the not-so-easy-to-use black-and-white architecture databases out there.

If you have any other thoughts, let me know, here, or on MIMOA !

Sep 24, 07 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

i don't think it's overdesigned. BUT. if i have critiques they are that:

- the site doesn't fit on my screen. can it resize to fit? the necessity of scrolling makes it feel less simple/clear.

- the rollover popup menu along the top. i hate when things popup like that and i have to chase the right thing to click.

otherwise it looks good and is fairly simple navigation-wise.

thanks!

Sep 24, 07 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Matthijs,

I am with the early comments: Nice, Thankyou!

Sep 24, 07 7:37 pm  · 
 · 

matthijs,

i think the idea of the site is great, and as ppl add more entries it will just get better and better.

re: overdesigned, i do find it a bit too busy (but thats a pretty personal thing), with different fonts etc, and the automatic pulldown menus annoy me too.

i look fwd to seeing what happens with it.

Sep 24, 07 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

i forgot the mention the BEST thing about it is having the exact locations. i am often org trips to see new buildings and sites like this help alot.

Sep 24, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

Matthijs,
first I repeat that overall I think it's an interesting, nice site and congrats for that

about the buildings in my zone containing errors - well, not "major" errors (like a wrong author or wrong city) but "minor" things like wrong spelling or wrong addresses or some misleading, generalizing topics in the commentary, that show that the buildings have been described and analyzed through a magazine's review (I saw a reference to an A10 review somewhere) and by foreigners that may occasionally seen the building on a trip but don't have enough contextual knowledge to review how the buildings works in a certain neighborhood, or what's the history of developing that certain project

but then, a lot of architecture magazines do the same - they send someone to a city to see a building, got a couple of local press reviews and from this material they ellaborate a pretentiously deep review (not the case with your website which just gives a short commentary about each building that doesn't need to be too profound)

the idea then of letting locals from each city to add reviews about their buildings is quite an advancement from paper magazines, but still it will be hard to get someone from another country to spend some time adding something to whatever site they find in the Internet unless you're offering something in return (and it doesn't need to be a monetary reward, but ..um.. something, I don't know)

about being overdesigned, well it's just a matter of personal taste.. take a look at Archinect, that's more or less the kind of website designs I like the most...
Sometimes architects are afraid of empty spaces - be that an urban plaza or a dining room, they need to fill it with something.. same happens with a lot of websites, I prefer them to "breathe" a little - leave some white spaces around the main content, etc --- but I repeat your site seems interesting and if it grows could be quite useful -though I would have less but more developed reviews than a large collection of buildings with few and inaccurate information, as is the case of ArchInform

Sep 25, 07 4:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: