Archinect
anchor

turbo charge your hot rod

mdler

any archinectors out there build hot rods?

Sep 20, 07 1:12 pm
rfuller

Nah, but I've got an uncle who has a hot rod shop in Pasadena.

Sep 20, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
ether
...mmm hotrods
Sep 20, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

rfuller

hook me up

Sep 20, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
ether
dad

built drag car engines for over 20 years. (he's recently retired from the industry.)

Sep 20, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

I'm trying to find a link for you mdler. It's hard. I've got a cousin in the same family that's a pretty reputable golfer, and most google searches are poppin up with news about him.

Sep 20, 07 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

anybody here build choppers/customs?

I find this guy has been an inspiration, I want my future studio to resemble gasoline alley.

Sep 20, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

I'm headin' to dallas in about an hour, but I'll see if I can get you some more on him when I get there. He does a lot of top dropping on old mercs and works mostly with 40's and 50's cars if memory serves me correctly.

Sep 20, 07 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

thanks

I was at the South Pasadena car show last weekend...for the Rose Bowl float that I am building...would really like to build me a rat rod

Sep 20, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

mdler, have you been to art center's car classic they have every summer?

Sep 20, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
ether

it's too bad you missed the Dream Cruise last month, mdler.

Sep 20, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

my neighbor restored/modified a model A. it was clean. the guy was an ex finish carpenter so his attention to detail and craftsmanship was applied. he builds custom tools and jigs to install custom parts he has built. unless you buy a kit...there's a lot of time spent on hunting for parts. the best is to buy what they call a rolling chassis and a body: frame, axles, wheels, and body...no drivetrain. if you hunt around recycler (paper or online) you'll find junkers..but i also suggest keeping an eye out whenever you're around farmlands or boonies. i use to see a bunch of junk cars without engines on front yards waiting to be bought and restored when i was driving to the high desert every weekend.

i like old wagons. not a hot rod but i'm building a jeep '67 cj-6...bought it as a rolling chassis for $500. it looked like this when i bought it:

Sep 20, 07 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

My husband is on a Gran-Am race team, he builds that car, does that count?

We also have WAY to MANY mustangs, 3 at the moment, and yes, they all run, and they aren't a daily drivers. And we have a '66 Ford Fairlane, 4D; I like it best.

Do any of those count?

Sep 20, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Sarah

Isnt having 1 mustang too many?

Sep 20, 07 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i have a 77 corvette that i rebuilt..... did everything but pull the body from the frame.... hopefully i can find shop space to redo the interior again and redo the body again....... i might swap an ls6 engine in it and airbag it....

b

Sep 20, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Sep 20, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

how much $$ for the paint job and body work?

Sep 20, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

for cryzko's vette

Sep 20, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

ooooh I'm telling you said that!

Actually, I don't have a prefference for cars generally, except that I VEHEMENTLY dislike Corvettes.

And two are the Fox-body 80s style, one coupe, one hatchback, and one is the much girlier '96, and its a convertable Cobra. We may be exchanging the conv. for a GT coupe on Saturday. Yeah!

Alas, we are car people, and always will be. When I FINALLY build my house, it will have a 4 bay shop in back for him, and a seperate garage for me to park in.

Sep 20, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Cryzko, you let someone SIT on your car? Did you check to make sure no brads on her pants would scratch the paint?

Yes, I've been trained.

Sep 20, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

cryzko

who are your friends?

Sarah

Do the cars go when the baby arrives?

Sep 20, 07 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

the world's ending gashogs.

Sep 20, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
binary

haha... the ladies were a few early models that my photogrpaher buddy is "training with".....

the paint will cost me around 3-5gs if i have a shop paint it....
i have to redo the body...i used polyester resin instead of epoxy resin when i "shaved" and molded everything.......

the paint is a seafoam green with a blue pearl.... i was gonna do an olive green metallic but that seemed to dark

heres some other pics

muffler hanger was broken

b

Sep 20, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

you swapped out the axles?...what's happenning with those driveshafts? that looks like some ultra modified suspension with leaf spring going side to side...

Sep 20, 07 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

No, at least I'm not going to make them. They are a part of Him, and I wouldn't want to take that away. We haven't loaded any of my Architecture stuff into the attic to make way for the kid, and so we won't get rid of his stuff either.

We are really trying hard to retain our identity as adults, and not become soley Parents.

Sep 20, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
binary

dammson

thats the rear of a vette.... they only used a sold axle in the first run of vettes..the c1...not sure if the c2 have a straight axle...

back when the c3 vette came out 69-82...is was considered a sports car so the suspension was changed to sort of like an independent setup.... but not really independent....since the leaf connections both t-arms in the rear..the front suspension is a typicla coil setup....then rear tie-rods for camber adjustments....

b

Sep 20, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

speaking of the world ending, how's smog check like in detroit?...is '77 smog exempt?...i think california is '73-earlier or 30 years old, i don't know the latest.

Sep 20, 07 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
binary

no smog check in michigan......

i took out all the extra shit in the engine bay...heater/ac/emissions/etc.... its a 350 small block with a mild cam/headers/intake/rebuilt quadrajet carb/194 heads/ported/etc..... last thing i need to upgrade is my alternator..

mdler
that your rat rod?

Sep 20, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

no smog check?!! wtf?!

Sep 20, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

no ;(. I want to build one, however. Need to find some space and $$$ in LA to do so

Sep 20, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Looken to build a 92 twin turbocharged 408 Mustang, strip only. Hope to be in the 7s... frame, glide, 9 inch.

Sep 20, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
binary

when i was looking into moving to l.a., the smog thing would have gotten me..... they dont do rollover 30 years anymore...... so i think the cutoff date was 75....... i would have to spend 3-4000 to get my vette to pass smog...engine back to stock and exhaust.......plus smog equipment....

these cats do soon dope bikes..they are about 1 mile from my house and i always see some bikes out front......
http://detroitbros.com/

my next ride will be a bike..... but my knees arent really in good shape to hold a bike up at the light....so might have to pass on that

b

Sep 20, 07 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

the people in l.a. who are affected the most with the smog checks are those who barely had enough cash to buy their 80's hooptie and is hit with a 600-800 dollar repairs to get the car to pass smog. plus every year, the smog standards become more strict. my mechanic tells me "you pass now but you might not pass on your next check with the same car". if the repair cost exceeds a certain government set amount, then you have to 'retire' the car. not everyone can afford a brand new car, biatches!

Sep 20, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dammson

do collector plates get you around this???

I know that you cant drive many hot rods in South Pasadena because of the noise

Sep 20, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i don't know how those are handled...they might give you a limited amount of mileage/year you can drive the car. the insurance might do the same.

my neighbors ride doesn't have any smog equipment and even though the year of his model A is exempt from smog checks, the engine isn't. i'm gonna ask him what he did...

Sep 20, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
ether

smog standards in michigan?.. ha.. haaa.. haaaa...

never.

Sep 20, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

you don't have to rub it in...

Sep 20, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
cf

engine inspec is by year also, engine serial number. AMC V8s don't have these cast or stamped in the block... they are easy to slip by the techs.

Sep 20, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

this thread just cost me an hour of flickr-surfing

Sep 20, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
ether

actually i think it's sad they don't. because of such highly anticipated and attended events, (see the dream cruise link above) they probably would/could never pass such a law.

Sep 20, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

Get that shit registered outta state.

Sep 20, 07 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

that's one way...you will need a legal address (P.O. Box will not work) in the state you're registering the automobile in...you can even try other counties.

Sep 20, 07 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

mdler - build your hotrod with a diesel engine...no smog check, and you can run bio-d or SVO/WVO.

Sep 20, 07 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

mighty

whats for dinner this weekend?

Sep 20, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

don't know...where you wanna' go?

i ain't cooking, sorry, too busy this weekend to get involved with that.

Sep 20, 07 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

I use my parents house. REFUSE to give up my Oregon plates, even tho I have a Cali license. (I know, technically fraud.......)

Sep 21, 07 12:23 am  · 
 · 
SDR

cryzko -- niiiiice car. i like the color. saw a 1960 (?) tbird in the most delicious mint green, recently. the factory green windows fit nicely with that. . .

mdler, that chopped ford is a hoot with its original wheels !

Sep 21, 07 12:43 am  · 
 · 
binary

yeah..i was cruisin in the dream cruise and this studabaker had the same color..hahah....but his was original still......

the color also changes a bit in the sun with the pearl in it....

b

Sep 21, 07 1:03 am  · 
 · 
cf

There are still many 60's VWs out there and fairly inexpensive. Although, like many other things in California, there is a faction that is driving up the prices because they are becoming "cool" again.

Cummins has partnered with a Chinese engine builder to make a 3.8L diesel engine. Alert, engine swappers.

6.0 to 7.0L diesels are considered medium duty engines in some states so they can not be swapped into light duty applications. Besides, they are several hundred pounds heavier than some other engines, can you say frame spread.

You can not swap in an engine that is older than your vehicle.

Sep 21, 07 8:57 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

not turbo charged or custom, but here's my stock, all original 66 malibu:

only thing I've had to replace on it so far was the carb

Sep 21, 07 10:45 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

an engine from the 60's puts out the equivalent of 10 new cars emissions speaking.

Sep 21, 07 11:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: