Archinect
anchor

Should I Stay, Or Should I Go?

CantileverApe

After reading Quizzical's 'Should I Be Upset?' thread, I've decided ask the opinion of those archinectors nice enough to respond.

My dilemma is as follows.

I recently relocated from one big city to another big city in the US. My transition was somewhat difficult, because of my relocation point having alot of favoritism towards its own city / state college grads. I put the effort in, had a few interviews, but overall, didn't really find a firm that I would want to work long-term for. I did find a firm, one which paid extremely well, and one that fit within my schedule ...

I've been with said firm for about 8 weeks now and have slowly been given more and more responsibilities within. Good news. I'm still young, and seem to be moving up the ladder quickly, as I am being awarded the position of project manager on a few upcoming projects. I have also been given the role of 'the new face of the firm', with another young designer. We will be interviewing with potential clients, hoping to wrangle in more work based upon our past efforts and seemingly young & professional demeanor.

But,

I have recently been given the chance to interview with the firm that I lusted after for the several months before my relocation. The firm is somewhat close to making a decision either way on my potential employment.

My question(s),
-Should I stay with the firm I am at for the moment, gain as much experience as I can, use my face and past work to help get more clients, and continue in the PM role? or,
-Should I tell the firm that it is my goal to leave ASAP, when I receive word from another firm? or,
-Should I give my two weeks and push hard on finding that perfect position (with or without the coveted firm)?

I would ask, as a professional, what situation would be the best?
I would be burning bridges either way, on one hand, I would screw the firm I am currently employed by right away, on the other, I would slowly withdraw from the firm, and therefore, burn a bridge or two...Or, lastly, I would take it on the chin myself, be honest with the firm and tell them that I wish to leave and find employment with someone that would fit my needs more.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 17, 07 4:01 pm
holz.box

go for the better firm and fuck the rest

Sep 17, 07 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
yepp1

What position would you be going into at the new firm. Is the work better? It's a question of where you would learn more

Sep 17, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
taquitos

If you feel you there is still more to learn from the current company you are working on, I would recommend for you to stay, as having a position where freedom to do what you want is something very rewarding and helpful for your professional career development. If you feel the company you are still working can not offer you any longer any challenge or more to look forward, fell free to explore other possibilities outhere.

Just be very careful and do your research when joining other company, you are in a good position with your company right now, and thinking you are going to find something of the same authority and inpower with other company, usually does not happen. Everytime you go to a new company you have to re invent yourself and start from scratch.

And something to consider, every company is a business, don't take your company too personal, as you mention in screwing them. Is a business, you need to make a living they need to make a living. And you need to do what you need to do to get what you want.

We often times forget that usually the place we work is a business and take things to personally. Relax and feel free to explore if the current company can not any longer offer you what you want. Just be careful for what you are lusting, because it might bit you in the as s. Sometimes happens you are going to be designing somebody else's design or managing somebody else's projects.

good luck

Sep 17, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

are you suggesting that firm B might not be willing to wait out the two weeks? I'd take that as a warning sign.

Sep 17, 07 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
CantileverApe

Thanks for the quick responses. The new firm will fit better in that, the projects are more geared to what I would like to focus on, the technologies within the firm are what I would like to work with as well... I've been using Revit for the past year, and would like to continue with my education with it. Currently, the firm that I work for uses Cad exclusively, and when pressed on any future upgrades to a more intuitive product, they said no. Having said that, the potential firm is using Revit, and would like to bring it's % of projects up to 50-75% revit in the coming months... that is exciting to me because it would seem that I would immediately start out running.

To answer the question from yepp1, the work is MUCH MUCH better, and I feel I would learn more... The question to ask is more of how to handle the situation professionally? Or should it even matter with the first firm, just say f@ck it and move on, or handle it professionally and slowly approach my leave with some sort of exit strategy where both parties can feel that they weren't screwed over... keep in mind, its only been a few months, but I do feel that if I were to leave, it would throw a huge wrench into the machine and cause mass-hysteria...

maybe not.

Sep 17, 07 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

right to work means right to quit, is it that kind of state?

Sep 17, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

Considering most firms do a 3 month probationary period, I don't see it as being unprofessional to leave so soon. I wouldn't mention in any way to your current employer that you're considering leaving. It could have negative reprecussions if you ultimately decide to stick around. Wait until you've accepted an offer and give two weeks. Nothing unprofessional there.

Sep 17, 07 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

CantileverApe ... let me start by saying that I never would want an employee staying at my firm if he/she were grossly unhappy. while I would appreciate a chance to discuss the matter with the employee before a final decision were made, if we were not able to provide what the employee wants or needs, that person is not going to be a good employee (for us) and that employee is not going to earn the compensation we are paying for his/her services.

as I read your note above, all you really have right now is a) a job in hand that seems to be getting better; and b) an opportunity to interview at a firm that you feel may be a better long-term fit.

my advice -- keep your mouth shut with you current employer, see if you can obtain a discrete interview with the other firm. if that interview leads to a job offer that you would consider accepting, tell that firm (the new one) that you will need some time to consider their offer, and that you have a responsibility to give your current employer a significant notice period (3-4 weeks) if you decide to change jobs - especially since you are so new at that firm. make sure you have clear agreement about when they would be willing to let you start the new position if you accept their offer.

then -- and this is the really hard part -- go sit down with your current employer and let him know that this great opportunity fell in your lap. let him know both that you haven't made a final decision and that you're not shopping the other offer (*) in an effort to sweeten your current deal with him -- and mean it. but, let him know you're not entirely thrilled with the experience you're getting at his firm. see if this dialogue opens the lines of communication and helps you resolve your dilemma. make sure they know you not planning to walk out the door tomorrow, but that you need to decide fairly soon about your future.

essentially, act like a professional -- give your current employer credit for having a brain -- let him know you value his advice and that you're not abandoning him on the spur of the moment -- make sure he knows you want to help make any transition that may happen as painless as possible for him.

hope it works out for you in a positive way. good luck

(*) this is so you don't come across as a whore.

Sep 17, 07 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

i'll second quizzicals advice- be as professional as you possibly can. be as gracious as possible with the current firm if you do decide to leave and you'll be all the better for it.

The big BUT: don't ever do this again in the same town or you will get a bad reputation - the architecture world is small and everybody knows everybody else.

Sep 17, 07 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

great advice quiz & TK....

Sep 17, 07 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
CantileverApe

Excellent advice from all, I know it will take some thinking and a bit of finesse on my part. Some great suggestions that I've not thought about, thanks to Quizzical for your candor, & thanks to treekiller for the big but. I knew that coming to a new city would be somewhat difficult, but didn't think I'd put myself into this position (not that its a bad thing). Hopefully in the coming weeks I will make the right decision, I'll make sure to post back here with the conclusion.

Thanks.

Sep 18, 07 9:26 am  · 
 · 
baldo

just follow your instincts. if i were you stay..

Sep 18, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: