Archinect
anchor

architect of zoolander's center?

sajimtk

So I'm curious, what are everyone's thoughts on the design of the Derek Zoolander Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good, and Want to Learn to do Other Stuff Good Too, and who do you think designed it?

Sep 12, 07 6:03 pm
sajimtk
Sep 12, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
cityboy9

duh, it's a center for ants..... and it was totally designed by Frank Gehry (with extensive input by Claes Oldenburg) and included collaboration with Michael Graves.

not a fact, just a guess......

ps.
I LOVE ZOOLANDER!! 'orangemochafrappuccino' in fact, I'm going to go home and watch it!

Sep 12, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

it always reminds me of venturi/scott brown early 90's work

Sep 12, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i think peter eisenman was the color consultant.

Sep 12, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

Did someone call?

Sep 12, 07 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

(if) i did it

Sep 12, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
cityboy9

love it!! (please tell me you screen name isn't just some sick coincidence!!)

and please tell me that you, as well, love love love that cinematic masterpiece!

(sorry to digress)

Sep 12, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

I don't know...People who need help.

Sep 12, 07 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

duany and plater-zyberk?

Sep 12, 07 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

put that picture here, I bet it won't take long until someone guesses it. My guess is someone who used to work in this office:

Sep 12, 07 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
upside

ARM?

Sep 12, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

or did you think i was too stupid to know what a eugoogly was?!?

Sep 12, 07 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

we have a new employee who grew up down the road from the picnic basket building. i like buildings like this. i like duck buildings.

Sep 12, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i tell you what, with a push-up bra you could have yourself a nice rack-of-lamb going on up there.

OH!

Sep 12, 07 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

quack.

for checking out racks of lamb on venice beach...

Sep 12, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
aml

bah, can't find it on a quick google image, but frank gehry has a proposal for a mighty ducks hockey stadium that uses both huge letters and has the 'bilbao waviness' that those book pages are reminiscent of.

Sep 12, 07 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hi aml :) meet me at the duck!

Sep 12, 07 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

the image deserves to be seen in its proper format:

"don't you know foamy lattes make me farty and bloated?"

-Mugatu

Sep 12, 07 11:21 pm  · 
 · 

because of the horrible scale relationships, i'm thinking maybe ricardo bofill - though certainly influenced by the late 80s gehry/oldenburg collaborations he's seen.

Sep 13, 07 7:24 am  · 
 · 
cityboy9

mighty, the proper quote is: "don't you know i get farty and bloated with a foamy latte?"

--i'm just very over-protective of this film!

Sep 13, 07 9:40 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

i believe it was this guy

Moisture is the essence of wetness, and wetness is the essence of beauty.

Sep 13, 07 11:14 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

also,

If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident

Sep 13, 07 11:16 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

Oh, I'm sorry, did my pin get in the way of your ASS?!? Do me a favor and lose five pounds immediately or get out of my building like now!

Sep 13, 07 11:57 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

I was maybe thinking that I could help people.

Derek, what people?

Sep 13, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

mightylittle™
Total Entries: 20
Total Comments: 1273
09/12/07 15:34

I don't know...People who need help.

i'd say don't get me started, but it's too late for that.

Sep 13, 07 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
sajimtk

They're in the computer, I just don't know how he labeled them.

They're IN the computer?.........it's so simple......

Sep 13, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

damnit derek, I'm a coal miner, not a professional film or television actor!

Sep 13, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i'd watch this movie if ben stiller wasn't in it...

Sep 13, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

...yeah yeah yeah, i capeesh...now if i could onoly ca-piss. my prostate's flaring up like a tiki torch...

Sep 13, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

one of my alltime favorite movie moments is when zoolander does the black face and then jumps out of the dark coal mine to scare his co-workers. damn that was funny.

Sep 13, 07 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

..or shortly thereafter when he's in the bathroom at the bar trying to remove the blackface with a huge pile of cotton balls...and then the fake cough...

...cough, cough... think i caught the black lung...

Sep 13, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
For Christ's sake, Derek, you've been down there one day. Talk to me in thirty years.
Sep 13, 07 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞
Moisture is the essence of wetness.
Sep 13, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

aml mentioned gehry's anaheim ducks proposal - here it is:

Sep 14, 07 2:39 am  · 
 · 
cityboy9

no word yet on who the architect could be? or is, rather? i'm still curious!

"At the Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too, we teach you that there's more to life than being really, really good looking..."

Sep 17, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 
cityboy9

Mer-man!

Sep 17, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

production designer: Robin Standefer
art director: Stephen Alesch (soon to be a licensed architect - back in october 2001)

an excerpt from this article in Interior Design:

"Standefer and Alesch began the design process on Zoolander as they always do, by reading the script and reviewing visual concepts with the director, then researching images of architecture, fashion, film, art, interior design, and even science. They later sketch out their visions and build models of their proposed sets to present to the director. "Sometimes all this has to happen in three weeks, while an architect might have three years to design something," says Standefer. Once the design is approved, a team of draftspeople—many of them trained as architects and designers—sets to work to produce a full package of construction documents for each set. A single movie's worth of sets might require hundreds of drawings. The design phase can last anywhere from six to 16 weeks; construction can take from eight to 20 weeks."

more good stuff:

"Stiller, whom Standefer credits with a very sophisticated eye, wanted every set in Zoolander to be extremely stylish and fashionable, albeit in an ironic way. The designers responded with a range of settings. Perhaps the most architectural set is the sleek, minimalist day spa, which features silvery sheets of aluminum and stainless steel, milk glass, and concealed fluorescent lights. Standefer looked to a range of sources for inspiration: the buildings of Jean Nouvel and Peter Zumthor, early European modernism, submarine interiors, and even ice cubes. She designed a chrome-legged massage table with a clear nod to Mies van der Rohe's iconic leather daybed. Her design for a trendy nightclub, erected on a sound stage, draws on the light installations of James Turrell."

Sep 17, 07 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
cityboy9

amen.

Sep 18, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

case closed!

Sep 18, 07 6:11 pm  · 
 · 

my guess would be that it was designed by some commercial practice, but the roof was commissioned to an 80s incarnation of FoG complete with opening book

Sep 18, 07 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?
zoolander 2

will hit theaters in 2012

the HELL?!? don't do it, derek !!

Oct 16, 10 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

aaah! it COULD be awesome, but i will remain skeptical.

Oct 17, 10 8:50 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

make that 2oolander (2) in 2014 !!

jonah hill?!?

Feb 27, 13 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

Jonah hill OUT

Zoolander 2

IN

February 12, 2016 ~ take yer sweetie

Long time no Z

Nov 22, 15 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

Frac, that proposal is crazy! I looked for some documentation of it online but couldn't find it?

Nov 23, 15 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

http://www.romanandwilliams.com/projects-films#/zoolander/

^ the R-chitects of zoolander's center 4 antS!

int designs linky is no more thank GOD i copy clippyed what i done did

Nov 23, 15 10:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: