Archinect
anchor

Does anyone know this font?

BabbleBeautiful

They use it @ http://www.umemagazine.com/

I asked them and they gave me "infotech." I have not been able to find it anywhere.

Yes, I'm still looking at fonts.

Aug 30, 07 1:29 am
Apurimac

And if anybody knows where i can get the font used for english propaganda posters during WWII, i'd also appreciate it (hint: it was the font they used for posters in V for Vendetta)

Aug 30, 07 1:57 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

damn you, I was excited thinking someone knew the answer

hijakcer :-P

Aug 30, 07 2:00 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

we can make this the 'I wanna know what font this is thread'

Aug 30, 07 2:02 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

NEVER!

Aug 30, 07 2:04 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

although I do like that font too

I'm going insane with these fonts...

Aug 30, 07 2:05 am  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Apurimac, that may be Gill Sans, I think.

Sorry, not sure about the ume one, afrdzak.

Aug 30, 07 3:18 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Rationalist might know...She's great with the typography

Aug 30, 07 10:21 am  · 
 · 
binary

i want a glow in the dark font

Aug 30, 07 10:25 am  · 
 · 
e

afrdzak, that is Info Text not Infotech.

Apurimac, that is not Gill Sans. I thought it was Gotham at first, but it is not.

Aug 30, 07 10:26 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

brilliant e!

Aug 30, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 

e kicks way more typographical ass than I do.

Cannot figure out that V for Vendetta font at all... I was convinced on first sight that it's one of the Gothic types, but visual search yielded none that had that G character.

Aug 30, 07 11:56 am  · 
 · 

Actually on second look it looks very Verdana, but the weight is somewhere between the basic and the Bold versions. Maybe that's just because my architecture office computer has a crappy font package without all of the different font weights?

Aug 30, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 
beefeaters

apurimac, check out ITC Johnston and P22 Underground

Aug 30, 07 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

im pretty sure its itc johnston, one of the bolds or mediums

Aug 30, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I ran it through the usuals and it does look close to Verdana. It also looks pretty similar to Trebuchet Bold if you stretch it horizontally about 15%.

Aug 30, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

But no decent person would do that, aquino. Unless you just mean stretch out the spacing, not the actual letters.

ITC Johnston does look like a winner... it's soooo close to verdana, but the Verdana 'A' cuts off a little lower, and I think the Johnston one matches better. Good find, beefeaters!

Aug 30, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

YAY! Now I just have to find it for free!

Aug 30, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Apurimac: if you do, can you tell me?

Aug 30, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

ume font:
i've got a font called Calibri that's a little better match. needs to be narrowed and the ends on the u and m are cut back to the letter body straight rather than angled

Aug 30, 07 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
e

it's def not calibri. info text normal is a dead match. no tweaking necessary.

Aug 30, 07 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Actually, I'm almost certain that is Gill Sans, above. The G is characteristic. The text is a weight slightly heavier than standard, but less than bold. It would make sense that the production designers would pick Gill Sans for 'V for Vendetta' because its a 1930s British font.

Aug 30, 07 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
e

If it is Gill Sans they have modified the R, but all of the other characters seem like it.

Aug 30, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

The E is also wrong for Gill Sans.

Aug 30, 07 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

definitely not Gill Sans. the R is wrong, the N is too wide, the middle bar of the E matches the top and lower bars. it is ITC johnston by the ITC font foundry.

ITC Johnston

Aug 30, 07 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

...and the way the points are chopped isn't quite right. The tip of the A and the N come too close to a point. Verdana may have the opposite problem, where there's too much chop.

BUT, the absolute subtlety of this all just illustrates that if you can't afford ITC Johnston, then Gill Sans or Verdana can be fine substitutes, because 99% of the world won't know the difference.

Aug 30, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

oh, but never Gill Sans MT, because Microsoft went and f***ed it all up.

Aug 30, 07 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

ITC johnston has even linework throughout whereas the UMEmag font tapers at the joints between segments.

can't find an example of info text normal...

Aug 30, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

from font.com's bio of johnston:

Edward Johnston of United Kingdom
Born: Uruguay, 1872
Died: Ditchling, Sussex, 1944

English lettering artist and teacher active early in the 20th century, pioneer in serious sans serif style. Strongly influenced Eric Gill.

Johnston’s classic type design for the London Underground is now available; but the type in use today, New Johnston, has undergone a subtle reworking by London agency Banks & Miles, to make it more versatile.

may explain the gill sans confusion.

Aug 30, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
e

"99% of the world won't know the difference"

very true.

Aug 30, 07 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Thanks everybody, my portfolio's should be lookin better now

Aug 30, 07 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

acfa, we were talking about the propaganda sign in v for vendetta, not the umemagazine font.

info text

Aug 31, 07 2:35 am  · 
 · 
stiletta

...hmmm...I'm going to put a vote in for Century Gothic.

Aug 31, 07 2:47 am  · 
 · 
e

stiletta. it's not century gothic. over all the characters are too narrow and the G isn't even close. i think beefeaters got it.

Aug 31, 07 10:39 am  · 
 · 
myriam

i love these kinds of threads. good sleuthing, little spies!

Aug 31, 07 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
AP

i'm diggin the Fedra family at the moment, designed by Peter Bilak, used in Pidgin.

Aug 31, 07 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Recent article about federal highway signage font revision, named those used for transportation in Britain, Germany, etc. Anybody see that -- NYT ? New Yorker ?

SDR

Aug 31, 07 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters

this article sdr?

nyt

Aug 31, 07 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

Thanks, beefeaters, yes. The article mentions British Transport for highway signage; this isn't the same as the face used by the British railway, is it ? And is that Gill Sans, or a font designed by Gill for them ?

SDR

Aug 31, 07 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
stiletta

geez!

It's so hard to find the "G" - "spot-on." They're so hard to find (fonts).

Sep 1, 07 1:16 am  · 
 · 
trace™

These are pretty close:

http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/Result2

That's a super resource.

Sep 1, 07 9:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: