Archinect
anchor

Google Map Tour Guide Central

Archinect

Inspired by Marlin and Ludwig's local tour guides for Los Angeles and London, we're opening up this thread to see if any other Archinectors out there would like to create their own customized Google Map. It's an opportunity to share all your local favorites with the rest of the community. Perhaps you have some off-the-beaten track suggestions that you wouldn't normally find in tour guides, or perhaps your interests lie primarily in certain types of architecture or culture. Here's your opportunity to show us!

HOW TO CREATE A CUSTOM GOOGLE MAP

Please provide the following information for your map:

• URL (link) to your map
  • City, town, or region covered
  • Brief description of your map

• LOS ANGELES
    Tour Guide - Marlin Watson
    The bare essentials for an "I only have one day in LA" tour of LA architecture: Red markers indicate buildings that can be seen well from the road while driving, and the yellow markers indicate building stops along the route. The tour includes: A skyscraper turned on its side, a house with sleeping baskets that introduced Southern California to Modernism, a modern day Acropolis above an Angelino hilltop, a modern day ruin in an Angelino hillside, and a restaurant designed by a broken clock. Enjoy, it's an all day affair.

LONDON
    Tour Guide - Ludwig Abache
    About two months ago I made a collection of placemaps in a goggle map of London for a friend of mine who was coming here and I didnt have the time to take around for a tour.
    A similar situation to Marlin. His map is brilliant working in a linear way. The one I did is more like a bunch of places on a map with no relation but I think that I could organise it pretty quickly.

NEW YORK
    Tour Guide - larslarson
    i created this one for new york...although currently it is bar-centric..the intent was to document my favorite places in new york and hope to get others to add to it in the future.

NEW YORK
    Tour Guide - jasoner
    Restaurants that let you BYO. Only the ones that I've confirmed.

PARIS
    Tour Guide - Heather Ring
    PARIS Map of Landscape Architecture
    AKA: Martha Schwartz Partners "Office Holiday" Itinerary +
    The "Office Holiday" seems to be something of a tradition among UK firms, so lucky us! Martha took us on a weekend tour of Paris landscape architecture. It felt like school-fieldtrips all over again.
    "Every architect should see Parc Sceaux to truly understand scale," she said. (It's the park that early-on most influenced her work.) You can definitely see the French formalist influences!

MINNEAPOLIS
    Tour Guide - aquapura
    All places that I frequent in one way or another. Will try to keep adding places and details.

CHICAGO
    Tour Guide - lletdownl
    just started this afternoon. Its very thin but i plan to keep working on it, including more images and more interesting tidbits/insight from a college student and recent grads perspective.

CINCINNATI
    Tour Guide - WonderK
    Even though I have recently departed the Queen City, I nominated myself to do this one because, well, I am obsessed with maps and this was a task I could not resist. Highlights include architectural sights, good food and neighborhoods worth venturing into. As with everyone else, this map will continue to evolve, so stay tuned....

LOS ANGELES (RUDOLPH SCHINDLER) W/ Video
    Tour Guide - Marlin
    This one-afternoon tour begins in Hollywood and visits five houses by Architect Rudolph Schindler, and one conspicuous house by Frank Lloyd Wright later remodeled by Schindler. Note the blue info markers, which include a four-chapter video narrative of the journey. Enjoy.

WASHINGTON DC
    Tour Guide - DCA
    For this exercise, I will nominate myself embassador for DC. So far this map contains art museums and embassies. I will endeavor to add more places of interest for architectural designers.

AMSTERDAM
    Tour guide - Anneke
    Modern architecture in Amsterdam/The Netherlands, from 1900 to the latest developments.

BOSTON
    Tour guide - larslarson
    The beginnings of a boston map...architecture-centric at the moment. A map that could help us avoid any more 'what's there to see in boston' threads...and a couple places to eat and drink as well.

LOS ANGELES'S SAN FERNANDO VALLEY
    Tour Guide - Marlin Watson
    Surprisingly enough, this often overlooked area of the eastern San Fernando Valley, "The Valley", can tell a story of Los Angeles architecture in the last century. Adobe, Schindler, Jerde and Venturi, Decon and Gehry, Stern and Rossi. Additionally, it's a good excuse for ditching the spouse and kids at Universal Studios for the afternoon.

ADOLF LOOS in VIENNA
    Tour Guide - Ludwig Abache
    1910's modenist architecture. Mostly private houses but some public builings as well like the Kärtner-Bar. I will try to update it with buildings by other architects from the same period.

NEW YORK
    Tour Guide - aml
    a very basic architourism map, just started it yesterday. my students keep asking me for architecture tips when they are traveling to nyc, so this is easier. most of the stuff is sort of recent.

---

The Archi-Tourist
    In addition to the above guides by Archinect members, make sure to check out the Archi-Tourist website produced by our friend John Hill of Archidose .

Aug 22, 07 9:57 am
    larslarson

i created this one for new york...although currently it is bar-centric..
    the intent was to document my favorite places in new york and hope
    to get others to add to it in the future.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&z=12&om=1&msid=101703610529728108691.000434ad7636340cac30e

Aug 22, 07 10:40 am  · 
     · 
    xacto

this past weekend i was walking from my girlfriends apartment to the moma and happened across raimund abraham's austrian cultural institute <http://www.archidose.org/Jan01/012901.html>. i didnt have a chance to go inside, but it would suggest checking it out.

Aug 22, 07 2:12 pm  · 
     · 

NYC. Restaurants that let you BYO.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=102783081056966582767.00043563249cb13330fcf&z=12&om=1

Only the ones that I've confirmed.

Aug 22, 07 4:02 pm  · 
     · 

This doesn't fit the exact same format as the other examples, but it might be useful to some of you...

My friend David Chow put together a list of LA restaurants (mostly strip mall holes) that serve the best of a range of ethnic foods. The list quickly spread around town so I used his list to create a searchable website that let's you browse by food type, and get driving directions to the restaurants:

Chow Finder

Aug 22, 07 4:48 pm  · 
     · 
    Heather Ring
    PARIS Map of Landscape Architecture

AKA: Martha Schwartz Partners "Office Holiday" Itinerary +

The "Office Holiday" seems to be something of a tradition among UK firms, so lucky us! Martha took us on a weekend tour of Paris landscape architecture. It felt like school-fieldtrips all over again.

"Every architect should see Parc Sceaux to truly understand scale," she said. (It's the park that early-on most influenced her work.) You can definitely see the French formalist influences!

Will update/annotate.

Aug 22, 07 9:06 pm  · 
     · 
    aquapura
    MINNEAPOLIS

Just started this morning. All places that I frequent in one way or another. Will try to keep adding places and details.

Aug 23, 07 10:24 am  · 
     · 
    lletdownl
    CHICAGO

just started this afternoon. Its very thin but i plan to keep working on it, including more images and more interesting tidbits/insight from a college student and recent grads perspective.

Aug 23, 07 4:31 pm  · 
     · 
    WonderK
    CINCINNATI

Even though I have recently departed the Queen City, I nominated myself to do this one because, well, I am obsessed with maps and this was a task I could not resist. Highlights include architectural sights, good food and neighborhoods worth venturing into. As with everyone else, this map will continue to evolve, so stay tuned....

Aug 23, 07 9:16 pm  · 
     · 
    Marlin
    RUDOLPH SCHINDLER IN LOS ANGELES

This one-afternoon tour begins in Hollywood and visits five houses by Architect Rudolph Schindler, and one conspicuous house by Frank Lloyd Wright later remodeled by Schindler. Note the blue info markers, which include a four-chapter video narrative of the journey. Enjoy.

Aug 23, 07 10:36 pm  · 
     · 
    Heather Ring

Marlin, thats brilliant!

Aug 24, 07 6:09 am  · 
     · 
    aquapura

Kudos Marlin, when I get myself out to LA next that tour is on my agenda.

I've been trying to add photos to the Mpls menagerie of places. Decided against adding St. Paul & will leave that up to someone else....hello, hello???

Aug 24, 07 9:05 am  · 
     · 
    mleitner

Architectural Guide to Los Angeles

I was wondering if we could get a small group of Archinecters together to create a Google Earth layer featuring the buildings in An Architectural Guidebook to Los Angeles by David Gebhard.

This book, as most of you know, is a very comprehensive guide but it has always seemed difficult to connect the sites to the big picture of Los Angeles. With the buildings marked in Google you could more easily stake out your own tour. Maybe we could add pictures - only the most notable buildings are represented with a photograph in the book.

I think that would be a major contribution to experiencing LA - for visitors and those interested in architecture already living here and maybe even getting a better understanding of what is happening to significant architecture and could be prevented today.

Aug 24, 07 12:16 pm  · 
     · 
    mightylittle™

These maps are awesome.

This weekend perhaps I will attempt to find time to make one for SF. It will be more food related than architecture, but interesting nonetheless.

I'll throw in some unabashed references to my food blog as well as pointing out where the best burritos are and where to catch some great urban vistas while sipping Manhattans.

Aug 24, 07 6:45 pm  · 
     · 
    some person
    WASHINGTON DC

For this exercise, I will nominate myself embassador for DC. So far this map contains art museums and embassies. I will endeavor to add more places of interest for architectural designers.

Aug 24, 07 10:21 pm  · 
     · 
    aml

this is a fantastic idea... very quickly checking as i'm in san francisco for the week, so if you complete soon i'll be able to use it right away!!!

Aug 26, 07 12:05 pm  · 
     · 
    Marlin

Heather: Awww...thank you, and while only you and the editorial staff already had seen the Schindler Tour vids a year ago, placing them inside an interactive map finally puts them in the hands of the Archinect readers. Even though they originally had been intended to build off the quirky mechanics of my school blog, they were still locked into the rules of straightforward, episodic narrative structure, which at the time was a constraint that drove me crazy. The mapping changes all that, and I'm still fooling around with how mapping can change the context of video content. For me, the repercussions are powerful stuff. In fact, I may not be worthy. Like Black Thought says, "Do you want more?"

Aquapura: When i add photos, i pull the image's location from the google image cache rather than the source site. I figured linking off the cache would reduce the possibility of the images being blocked later on, and also, because the photos are already small, it reduces the image real estate in the dialog box and loads faster since its pulling the image from a Google server.

All of these maps are really incredible: in a period of less than a week, the content in this thread alone has already trumped the amount of content provided by the above referenced site, "Archi-tourist".

Aug 26, 07 4:28 pm  · 
     · 
    anneke
    AMSTERDAM

Tour guide - Anneke
    Modern architecture in Amsterdam/The Netherlands, from 1900 to the latest developments.

Aug 27, 07 11:22 am  · 
     · 
    mightylittle™

aml - sorry! too much going on this past weekend to get involved with the map, but there's a great SF thread floating around with some great ideas in it...

Take a look...

Aug 27, 07 2:14 pm  · 
     · 
    aml

thanks mightylittle, i've looked at it at it's been super helpful. i just couldn't resist asking just in case because this is such a cool idea.

Aug 28, 07 12:27 am  · 
     · 
    vado retro

don't stop believing!

Aug 28, 07 9:02 am  · 
     · 
    larslarson

paul and the other archinect floating heads...

is there anyway to make a meta map that combines all maps?
    i've had this idea for years of having something like the iphone
    that you could use to locate yourself and good architecture and
    good stuff around you via this type of map
    ..if we could somehow have an overall archinect map that you could
    see everything all at once that'd be cool...

Aug 28, 07 5:45 pm  · 
     · 
    You mean something like this?

These have been really amazing. Hopefully more will continue popping up. We look forward to putting these all into a feature/resource.

Aug 28, 07 5:55 pm  · 
     · 
    larslarson

wow...
    do you get an email or something every time your name is mentioned?

that meta map was more or less what i was thinking...now we just need to fill in. i sort of wonder if someday it'd also be cool to just have an
    overall map that just has the markers and isn't segmented up into a
    number of different maps...thereby encouraging a bit more in terms of
    interaction?...it'd be cool if when you zoom in that the markers start to
    show up...maybe a marker would be identified by the person that
    contributed it..and maybe they could be part of a group? (similar to
    flickr) i dunno..i like the idea of eventually seeing an entirely entangled
    archinect map, but i also like the start so far...nice!

Aug 28, 07 6:13 pm  · 
     · 
    Archinect

Heheh... no, but I get an email every time that a comment is posted to a therad that I'm subscribed to, like every else does. I actually made this map a few days ago, as an experiment. I haven't looked into it very much, but it would be nice if all bookmarked maps could be added into one map.

Aug 28, 07 6:15 pm  · 
     · 
    aquapura

C'mon, I know there's lots of archinecter's out there. Where's the maps of Seattle, Portland, Denver, Dallas, Houston, Austin, Atlanta, Miami, Louisville, Indianapolis, Philiadelphia, Boston, Toronto, Vancouver, etc.????

I will be traveling to a couple of those cities mentioned in the next few months. Would be nice to have a better map than the rental car companies provide.

Aug 29, 07 8:06 am  · 
     · 
    larslarson

i wouldn't mind doing a boston map...(maybe with some input from
    quilian?) it'd be a nice trip down memory lane.

Aug 29, 07 9:34 am  · 
     · 
    larslarson

The beginnings of a boston map...architecture-centric at the moment.
    A map that could help us avoid any more 'what's there to see in boston'
    threads...and a couple places to eat and drink as well.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=davis+museum&sll=42.295096,-71.307428&sspn=0.004563,0.010482&ie=UTF8&ll=42.293247,-71.305604&spn=0.009127,0.020964&t=h&z=16&om=1

Aug 29, 07 12:29 pm  · 
     · 
    larslarson

the link should actually be this...could a green head edit the last post?

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=101703610529728108691.000438d8ca2a87f43b530&z=10&om=1

Aug 29, 07 12:31 pm  · 
     · 
    larslarson

PAUL
    the 'boston' link links to the Amsterdam map.

Aug 29, 07 3:19 pm  · 
     · 
    Marlin
    LOS ANGELES'S SAN FERNANDO VALLEY

Surprisingly enough, this often overlooked area of the eastern San Fernando Valley, "The Valley", can tell a story of Los Angeles architecture in the last century. Adobe, Schindler, Jerde and Venturi, Decon and Gehry, Stern and Rossi. Additionally, it's a good excuse for ditching the spouse and kids at Universal Studios for the afternoon.

Aug 30, 07 5:40 am  · 
     · 
    Ludwig
    ADOLF LOOS in VIENNA

1910's modenist architecture. Mostly private houses but some public builings as well like the Kärtner-Bar. I will try to update it with buildings by other architects from the same period.

Sep 1, 07 10:25 am  · 
     · 
    aquapura

Much thanks Ludwig....Loos is my "hero" of architecture. Have seen about 1/2 of the Vienna locations you list. Still my all time favorite is is the Muller house in Prauge. Seeing inside is a must if you're ever there. All those places were the pinnacle of my European studies.

Sep 3, 07 9:12 pm  · 
     · 
    lletdownl

ive updated my map and will continue doing so. ive added more pictures, more projects, and started putting up some local offices i like.

Sep 4, 07 11:30 am  · 
     · 
    aml
    NYC ARCHITECTURE

a very basic architourism map, just started it yesterday. my students keep asking me for architecture tips when they are traveling to nyc, so this is easier. most of the stuff is sort of recent.

Sep 12, 07 12:44 pm  · 
     · 
    Katze

whats wrong with the maps that the rental car companies provide? Just kidding. When I have some free time I'll work on PDX and I can assist lars & Q+ with the Boston map...love the ones created thus far!

Sep 14, 07 2:23 am  · 
     · 
    AP

ya, this is great so far. aml - is it possible to give others access to add to your google map? i'd like to contribute a bit to the nyc architecture map...

Sep 14, 07 1:44 pm  · 
     · 
    larslarson

i've been adding these all to 'my maps' which allows you display them all at once...so you can see all the markers for nyc for
    instance...pretty cool.

Sep 14, 07 4:14 pm  · 
     · 
    WonderK

Katze, I would love a PDX map! I need to get back up there. Probably won't happen for a while, though.

I updated Cincy's map as well. I made it into a little 2-day jaunt, with suggested paths of travel. I also put in "bonus" destinations, if you have extra time. If anyone is familiar with Cincy and wants to provide me with some feedback on it, please feel free.

Sep 14, 07 4:22 pm  · 
     · 
    aml

ap, it must be possible but i don't know how it would work... i felt sort of bad -not living in nyc right now- but really a lot of my students have asked me for advice on nyc arch several times so it was useful for me to do it... it would be great if you could add stuff, right now i in a hurry but if i figure it out i'll let you know [or if someone else knows, please post]

Sep 14, 07 6:01 pm  · 
     · 
    Marc Pittsley

I have some older favorites I could add to lars' Boston map...Richardson, Rudolph, Sert, Koch, and a few others

Sep 15, 07 7:02 pm  · 
     · 
    weAREtheSTONES

Mighty...I have one going for San Francisco...maybe we could combine your food destinations w/ my architectural destinations...or maybe we just have two maps.

Sep 25, 07 1:37 pm  · 
     · 
    mightylittle™

something like that...i've been too busy to make the time to develop one for SF, either food or arch. PM me the info for your map, i can add some things i'm sure you might have missed in your brief time in the bay city.

Sep 25, 07 2:07 pm  · 
     · 
    mightylittle™

RF - like all other threads started by ARCHINECT, this one is of course being moderated for content to keep it on-topic.

while links to your site may seem appropriate, this thread is geared specifically towards individual users creating there own google maps including particular sites of interest they deem valuable.

don't take it personally, the general forum would probably enjoy your site, and i've visited it too...this thread, however, is just for archnecters and their own google maps.

Sep 25, 07 2:21 pm  · 
     · 
    mightylittle™

alright floating green head - now you'll have to delete my explanation too! since it's now an orphan. an explanation solving a riddle that doesn't exist.

Sep 25, 07 2:22 pm  · 
     · 
    Archinect

mightylittle™ - your response was totally correct. we sent the following email to Richard explaining the moderation practices for featured threads like this...

Hello,

Your link looks great, as does Mimoa, but we're moderating this thread (as with all featured threads that remain at the top of the forum list) to stay on the topic of Archinect member tour guides via Google Maps. Please post your link to our Links section and/or contact us for information about ways you can work with Archinect to achieve more relevant exposure for your website.

Best,
    Archinect

Sep 25, 07 2:25 pm  · 
     · 
    mightylittle™

that's what i thought...

Sep 25, 07 2:47 pm  · 
     · 
    Archinect

We've spun this off into a feature, and look forward to receiving more great guides.

Sep 25, 07 4:24 pm  · 
     · 
    aml

mightylittle, up above you mention "PM me the info for your map" ... seems like you know how one would go about sharing a map? ap had some stuff he wanted to add to mine, do you know how we can work that out? i'm a google map rookie.

Sep 25, 07 4:49 pm  · 
     · 
    mightylittle™

aml- i meant more for him to send me a link to his map, so that i could look at it. though i know there is a way to combine them, view more than one at once, share them, etc...i just haven't been able to get into it much.

Archinect - great idea on the feature!

Sep 25, 07 4:52 pm  · 
     · 
    weAREtheSTONES

I thought I should resurrect this thread since I just put together this map for some friends that just came out to SF

San Francisco/Bay Area

Apr 11, 08 2:18 pm  · 
     · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: