Archinect
anchor

life after OMA

this is mainly aimed at the brits...

i'm a british architecture student one my first year out...i'm currently doing six months at OMA and want to move back to britain after that...

...any suggestions on good london offices for internship?

i'm currently thinking Caruso St John, Tony Fretton, Chipperfield, Sergison Bates, EEA London

cheers

Aug 22, 07 7:59 am

your list seems like you know what type of architecture you are interested in except EEA. more in line with the others would be david adjaye.

Aug 22, 07 8:07 am  · 
 · 
r

true...eea is pretty much in the ball park tho on the outter reaches of modernism before we reach the completely digital offices...

cheers

Aug 22, 07 8:13 am  · 
 · 
j-turn

none of those offices is remotely as exciting as OMA.

Aug 22, 07 8:56 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

nothings as exciting as OMA. oh i just got a woody typing their famous initials.

Aug 22, 07 9:01 am  · 
 · 

those offices aren't trying to be 'exciting', they are trying to be good.

Aug 22, 07 9:30 am  · 
 · 
r

my sentiments exactly...

...i hate this whole blind admiration for 'wow', whats wrong with producing rock solid design fuelled by program, context and spatiallity?

Aug 22, 07 9:37 am  · 
 · 

seth stein, or
simon conder

also might interest you

Aug 22, 07 9:54 am  · 
 · 
r

very nice, thank you

Aug 22, 07 10:07 am  · 
 · 

I love Caruso St. John
I find "their" approach much softer but more pretty and thoughtful than OMA

Aug 22, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
r

i think their amazingly good, with a beatifully off-key approach...the way they play with their ecclectic influences is very poetic, and pushing british architecture forward

Aug 22, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
publix

there is no life after OMA...

Aug 23, 07 10:52 am  · 
 · 

... but is there an AMO afterlife?

Aug 23, 07 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
publix

or AMO retfa efil ?

Aug 23, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

The long slide down hill......after OMA....

Aug 23, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
r

well thats something to look forward to then

cheers

Aug 23, 07 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

or as they say, "OMA GOD!"

Aug 23, 07 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

aren't you required to open your own office once leaving OMA?

does anyone leave OMA and go to a lesser known office and try to bring it up? or do they just wife swap between starchitects until they're too old to go that route?

Aug 23, 07 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

I think you should go learn something on the opposite spectrum, like a practice that still hand drafts neo-Wren houses in Devon or Darbyshyre

Aug 23, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 

@ architechnophilia,
Here here!
I heartily agree.

Aug 23, 07 8:23 pm  · 
 · 

my classmate worked at OMA then moved back to canada to regular big ol corporate firm. said classmate is trying to run a studio/boutique arm within corporate firm, with limited success. said classmate is very likely going to be a partner in that office...so OMA experience worked as ticket to top of ladder in several hundred strong office...i suspect the quality of architecture will never be OMA level though.

you may be interested in alison brooks. more funk than caruso st john but not as blatantly intelligntsia as oma...

Aug 23, 07 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
jts329

only one is in London, but you should go on to work for LAR/Fernando Romero, BIG/Bjarke Ingels, Work AC, Studio Gang, MVRDV, FOA, Xaveer de Geyter, Neutelings Riedijk, Hosoya Schaefer, and then REX.

Then you can be different and claim to be the grand-child of OMA.

Aug 24, 07 12:05 am  · 
 · 
jts329

No but seriously to answer your question I think FAT and Heatherwick Studio are interesting in London.

Aug 24, 07 12:05 am  · 
 · 
defpoints

I'd recommend having a look at Stanton Williams, DSDHA, Make and maybe Allies and Morrison. (Obviously depends on the size of practice you want to be working for.) Then have a look through this if you're still unimpressed...

40 under 40

Aug 24, 07 9:03 am  · 
 · 
Pete

Is the whole point of working for starchitects is to become a starchitect?

Aug 24, 07 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
r

in some cases thats more than likely true...in this case no...i just want to learn, and learn from the best...

Aug 24, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
James Mayers

sorry to necromance a dormant thread, just to say that's pretty much my viewpoint, plus those architects are pretty much my top choices, possibly with the addition of Haworth Tompkins, maybe Witherford Watson Mann. Rather intimidating that they're all AA/Cambridge/RCA grads, wonder what it's like for those from schools lower down the food chain to apply?
Any luck with applications to them?

Nov 10, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: