Archinect
anchor

Should Houses Float?

lletdownl

I felt the discussion begun in this 'houses of the future' thread
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=62838_0_42_0_C
warrants further discussion here.
tell me...
in the future, will all houses float? Why? Why not?

Aug 15, 07 4:49 pm
weAREtheSTONES

well if global warming is indeed true...which i think it is!...then yes houses sure better float.
-I know there alot of places like this in the nederlands...and Ive seen floating houses in Marin County California
-I say if they plan to rebuild New Orlands then they should build float houses!!!

Aug 15, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

it'd be more difficult to repo them so i say sure, why not.

Aug 15, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i don't care about the philosophy of why, let's get on to the implementation.

magnets...

Aug 15, 07 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

gadget copter

Aug 15, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

el jeffe

wouldn't it be easier to repo a house boat, that is if you used a sweet tug boat?

Aug 15, 07 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

yeah, eastcoast, but you'd have to find him first.

Aug 15, 07 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i think the real question is how do we get the craftsman involved in this new floating architecture

Aug 15, 07 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

He'll be by to fix things in about 20 years.

**Found it interesting that he's wearing the same shirt in this picture that I'm wearing right now.**

Aug 15, 07 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

magnets remind me of this:

i worked in an SE office during grad school and a radio engineer called asking about earthquake reinforcing for his wood/stucco LA abode.

he got into a long conversation with one of the engineers about HIS ideas for earthquake mitigation techniques since he was a radio engineer and knew all about waves and frequencies, etc.

his idea was to bolt chains to the eaves of his house and cast them into concrete dead-men in the ground.

he was convinced it would work...

· 
el jeffe

bingo rfuller

· 
A Center for Ants?

only as much as boats should sink...

Aug 15, 07 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
pvbeeber

Awfully broad question, don't you think?

Aug 15, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

i think its a fair question...
given in the future the earth will be filled up with all water

good luck with your non floating house pvbeeber
i wont envy you one bit

Aug 15, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

The sketch (a) shows the cross-section of an air cushion vehicle of the "peripheral jet" type, first developed by Christopher Cockerell in the mid-1950s. A fan draws air from the ambient atmosphere at pressure pa and compresses it to a stagnation pressure po in the reservoir inside the vehicle. The air then exhausts downward through a narrow slot of width w at the periphery of the building(w<<R), creating a condition that maintains a positive gage pressure (an "air cushion") underneath the building This allows the building to float at a height h above the ground.
Aug 15, 07 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

bonus rec room in the basement!

Aug 15, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

thats a very cool little diagram

but how are the craftsmen involved in this process
could they install the decals?

Aug 15, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

And I will challance that --- why is it the water will raise , isn't the earth floating plates already , are you sure that water will cover only the top of the surface , my calim is that the water will not raise that how the earth already are floating plates on a molten core, then why wouldn't you fear that the skies wouldn't fall "down" , as they feared it would in the old day's.
Think about it, why shuld the sea's get higher why shuld the water place itself on the top of it all .

Aug 15, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

the water will rise, per...as the earth's molten core cools, the size of the earth will shrink therefore, producing less surface area for the same amount of water. additionally, the ice caps will melt producing more liquid...

Aug 15, 07 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Now emagine the earth as a liquid ball with plates floating around on it's surface, emagine a huge force forcing a continent down into the core ; would the earth become bigger or smaller ?
Now when or if the ice melt, who say that the hydrolic ballance acting on the textonic plates wouldn't just mean, that the earth as a whole , would become a bit bigger, now if it work like that, then what would happen would be a long wait for the sea to raise.

Aug 15, 07 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

what is this huge force that will jam the continent into the core?

Aug 15, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i build floats

Aug 15, 07 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Btw I don't belive that with the earth as a globe with a molten red-hot iron core ; where are the rust from the vulcans, not a single vulcano spit out rust, iron minerals and isn't that in a way, strange , with so much molden red-hot iron inside ?
That newer hardly any of that iron reach the surface as iron vulcano's ?

No inside the earth there are something quite different, there must be, as if there was iron, the magnetics would be billions times stronger , nothing indicate that model that was interduced in the industrial revolution where molden iron was the only thing you could emagine, to deliver a magnetic field.

Aug 15, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

NO, I believe people should float, and ICE cream

Aug 15, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

rust only develops with the oxygen component (oxidation), therefore magma wouldn't have rust as it comes out of the volcanoes because there aren't enough oxygen molecules under the earth's mass of molten metal/minerals

Aug 15, 07 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

per, and for oxidation to take place...there are other factors that need to be present, which aren't present in the semi contained mass of the earths interior.

Aug 15, 07 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

And still it also are missing it's ferro compoments right ?

Aug 15, 07 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

there are iron components...

Aug 15, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

And maybe you one day send me a mail saying it was true that the earth consist ofcaurse, of same "matter" as the sun, that the sun are so very very huge compared to earth, that the plasma there would develob into helium only , and that earthquakes on earth, are the prove matter are develobed on the surface of the earth's plasma core and the outside matter, minerals oil, everything you find in earth created there , not all over the universe and practly assembled when we need it on earth .
---- see all other models indicate matter created over many billions of years all over the sparsly crowded univers where most are in fact vaccum and only very little matter, so how do so many different matter assemble so practly on earth, as if it was acturly made there ?
Why shuld the planets be made from something different than the sun, the only difference are size , the sun produce helium and hydrogen ,maybe that has natural resons, and maybe all other matter as how it acturly are, is develobed around the planets plasma core, there defenly are no iron there , --- or how deep has you digged down a tiny tiny fraction and then it stopped just scratching the surface ? No one can prove there are iron inside the earth it's religion.

Aug 15, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 

well when the polar caps melt they estimate that the waters will rise 2.5m (calculate you yanks) per 150 years, given the increasing rate of water temperature.

So that said, I'm building my house in the mountains!!

Aug 15, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 

Oddly enough Waterworld was on tv this weekend. I'm really more concerned about the massive fish!!

Aug 15, 07 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

I know what's inside the earth, here's a diagram:

Aug 15, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Per, without an iron core, there would be no magnetic poles to deflect solar wind, which means that we wouldn't have an atmosphere, which means earth would become a bigger version of mars or mercury. We also wouldn't have the aurora.

Other minerals were formed from fusion reactions in a star that collapsed and then exploded into a nebula. That's where our solar system came from. Its a recycled star.

I just finished Astronomy 2 last week. If you wanna go blow for blow on these other ridiculous claims, I'll be happy to oblige you tomorrow when I get back to work.

Aug 15, 07 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

Ho yeah! Go for it...

Aug 15, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

holy shit one of my responses on archinect actual spurred an analytical discussion...

i'm so happy.

Aug 15, 07 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

"Per, without an iron core, there would be no magnetic poles to deflect solar wind, which means that we wouldn't have an atmosphere, which means earth would become a bigger version of mars or mercury. We also wouldn't have the aurora."

This is arguments that prove in on themself , merely the filosofy of the industrial revolution and Englishmen ; scientificly you shuld allow for other models while that model been evolved by need ; one cramped argument building another "fact" by the need to defend a rigid model .
You say there would be no magnetic poles without an iron core, I say that with one just the magnetic acting of iron these poles now, seem quite fragile and quite small povers , if there was iron remember iron is not the only thing to make magnieics , current for one can, and the passive magnietic working on a compas needle do not indicate an astronomic huge iron core, if there was the magnitic needle would fly out of your hands.

"Other minerals were formed from fusion reactions in a star that collapsed and then exploded into a nebula. That's where our solar system came from. Its a recycled star."

Nebular stars evolve during billions of years, spreading the matters all over the universe ; how practic they found together as highly complecx matter and minerals on earth , --- how would all that matter from nebular stars assemble just here where we need it ? Strange atleast.

"I just finished Astronomy 2 last week. If you wanna go blow for blow on these other ridiculous claims, I'll be happy to oblige you tomorrow when I get back to work."

Then don't look for the black matter and not as they do, further and further away, as it was not at reach anyway, then it is just further away, right ? ---- my model suggest to look under your feets for the "dark matter" that we maybe totaly misunderstood while we needed a model to fit with the Englishmens model with a glowing iron core, maybe things work much simpler , and would it be strange, if the planets was small spils of the sun, same plasma as you see --- oh btw. you don't see it you only see the reacting surface, acturly the sunflares uncover a black inside, as if there are no glowing substance inside the sun but only on the surface, where it soon disapear into space ; try look closer to sun flares the bottom of them, you will find there are black spots guess why. Why go further and further int the universe to look for "black matter" if what it is, is in the sun under the reactive surface as with the earth and other planets that all are carrying different minerals, due to the size and reaction of their plasma core , that core that practicly create venus materials on venus and mars materials on mars, all depending facts we dont know yet.
My model are answering a lot more questions, if you don't think so, tell me how all that matter from the supe novas, can distrubate so differently on various planets.

Be challancing, trust science but most old fasion models, like that with a monstrous iron core, simply can't be true and, while it was attacked early, it reexplained itself with lots of , "yes but then there are several core's layers , aso, aso, becaurse no one dare challance religion.

Aug 15, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

per, forget the iron core...talk about the rise of water, which will lead to a discussion on floating houses

Aug 15, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

you can float bldgs already. use a slurry wall system.

and if i wanted to live on the water, i'd just buy a boat. a house boat is like one of those combination ideas that are the worst of both worlds rather than the best of each...

i'd rather live on this:

than this:

Aug 15, 07 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

and per is back.

Aug 15, 07 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™
where we're going we don't need roads...

Aug 15, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Yes but with my model the sea will not rise --- it will level a huger globe , maybe by hydralogics act higher mountains and , don't remember, that if matter are generated in a reaction of "black matter" forming a natural globe shape by it's own forces , then matter derated between this sort of antimatter plasma and the outside "emty" universe , only emty as we see it, then matter would form on the surface ---- in the sun caursed it's size only helium can ecape and it do, as an eternaty mashine almost. Why shuldn't smaller globes of that plasma not yield heavier ground materials, ---- why do different vulcano's spit all different lava ,why not the same stuff please answer that, it is an obvious question that shuld be easily answered. I say Oil to was created in the layer , that various forces force a smaller volume of antistof than the sun, to produce the basic matters and allow "simular" matter, silicon and near materials to form to create minerals, --- and there are plenty oxygen there siliciumdioxide would proberly borrow some oxygen to a rust vilcano, but newer did that happen, and allway's are our minerals in layers, as if they was created in layers beside another one ;
It iws said that oil are dead dinusaurs that all dropped dead in the same lake , why shuld they and how much dinusaur would it requier to produce one liter of oil --- a mountain of dinusaurs = and why would they all wisit that dumm lake ? A mountain of rotten carrots or rotten dinusaurs to make one liter of oil , remember, most would parish as gasses the rest eaten acturly most would be gone in those millions of years , that that explanation don't work --- oil are not made from rotten dead carrots or silli dinusaurs sacrisfying themself in mountain volumes --- can't you see it, oil are made all the time , in the reaction between anti matter and matter in the earth's mantle that is a natural thin protective skin around a reactive bubble the one that form the earth and the rest of the planets, where the core are not used up, rendered into real matter.

I simply don't trust those Englishmen.

Aug 15, 07 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
upside

crab people, crab people

tastes like crab, talks like people

crab people, crab people

Aug 15, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
FlOaTy!
Aug 15, 07 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Guess what? A DANISH scientist was the first to assert that within the earth's molten iron core lies a solid iron core:

From here:
"Then in 1936, Danish geophysicist Inge Lehmann studied the waves' patterns to determine that within Earth's core of molten iron lies a solid inner core (see diagram, left)--but what that core was made of eluded her. Other geophysicists quickly determined that Lehmann's inner core was composed mostly of iron crystals--smooth-faced solids made of atoms arranged in goemetric patterns. Since then, Lehmann's discovery has dominated conventional Earth science."

So, I'm not entirely sure why you're so paranoid about the English, when it is the Danes who have cemented this theory into the annals of science.

Read the rest of the article, it suggests an alternate theory of the composition of the earth's core along your lines of thinking (I think).

Aug 15, 07 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
rustanddust

attn Per: the earth's plates aren't floating on water. the water is above the plates. as the water rises, more of the exposed crust of the earth will be covered. this is basic plate tectonics. see below, and read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_tectonics

Aug 16, 07 12:43 am  · 
 · 
rustanddust

also, if the plates themselves were floating on water, new islands could only form by breaking off existing ones.

new islands form by volcanic action.

Aug 16, 07 12:45 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

rustanddust it is a great prove that drawing.

Aug 16, 07 6:19 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

Wow. After wading through that, I think it's fair to say that per could benefit from taking geology, astronomy, or any of the earth sciences at night school. It could be a new hobby for you, buddy.

Aug 16, 07 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Liebchen

Acuraly, I think rustanddust's drawing reflects scientific consensus.

Aug 16, 07 10:35 am  · 
 · 
lletdownl

you guys are all fools.
its quite clear that the center of the earth is filled with melted cinnamon gum drops... it explains everything... the color, the heat (cinnamon is spicy!) why people get burnt by it, the consistency... as for the magnetic poles... that clearly comes from the big mixing beaters strategically located at the north to make sure that the melted cinnamon gum drops dont stagnate or harden.

Aug 16, 07 10:46 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

It is pretty cold up there at the north pole. I can totally see the cinnamon gum drops cooling there.

Aug 16, 07 11:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: