Archinect
anchor

Landscape Central

treekiller

a home for the greener professionals and students.

Since LAs are a microscopic speck of plankton in the sea of architects 'round these parts, figured we needed a home to engage in plant speak, dirt moving, stormwater managing aka the (ir)rational method, pervious paving, more grass pavers, gabions, and complaints about being called a gardener.

some of my favorite threads on this topic have been the rollicking discussions inspired by competitions like the cornfields with MoFo's Oil spill, MLA: squid, Hargreaves: whale; with more
cornfields here too
then there was park at the center of the world.

other landscape threads worth revisiting include philly . NYC,
LA LA, london, bawston, nyc #2, frisco,

sustainable landscapes -shameless plug
sustainable gardens -not the same

gradschool angst 1, 2, 3
UCLA-ex, BSLA vs MLA

books for 'scapers

weather thread

LARE, & 2

the answer is no

(don't forget to search the news for interesting stuff too.

Aug 13, 07 10:08 pm

Haha, great idea, TK.

You Forgot One, though.

Aug 13, 07 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
Travis Woodward

good idea. I'll be reading.

Aug 14, 07 2:04 am  · 
 · 
vick27

Thanks tk! Very helpful.

Aug 14, 07 3:02 am  · 
 · 

hear hear TK!

Aug 14, 07 8:21 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

675 thanks, there are lots of other threads of interest that are worth searching for. keep on supplying interesting links as you find them- like an easter egg hunt...

Aug 14, 07 9:36 am  · 
 · 

Check your email, treekilla!

Aug 25, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

765- got it! congrats on the new gig

Aug 25, 07 6:57 pm  · 
 · 

for a central thread its awfully quiet. I guess there aren't many landscape architects on archinect (landscape archinect'rs?)

Aug 25, 07 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

looking for examples of other garden festivals like Cornerstone in Napa and Chaumont-sur-Loire.

are there any others?

what about flower festivals?

any info on how big are these sites are? (cornerstone says they have 9 acres)

Aug 30, 07 4:14 pm  · 
 · 

another garden festival...

jardin des metis

Aug 30, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 

it's a little hard to find on the website... here's thephoto gallery of the last 7 years of the jardin des metis at reford gardens...

winners have included stoss, aranda/lasch, lateral architecture, and others...

Aug 31, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 

and a few flower festivals...

floriade australia

floriade 2012 (netherlands) is once every 10 years...

Aug 31, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

cool- many thanks!

Aug 31, 07 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™
SF Flower & Garden Show

btw - i have a friend who's been to the Cornerstone Garden in Sonoma and thought it was completely underwhelming. Anyone else have any experience?

I've been by there and seen the big blue tree, but never gone in...maybe some time.

Wine country is home to many cool-sounding, well-marketed projects that ultimately wind up being rather flat-footed.

Aug 31, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
f-tron

Cornerstone is pretty crappy, especially these days. I think was originally intended to rotate every year, so the installations weren't really built to last and are looking pretty beat up.

There's a biennial landscape/garden festival in germany called the bundesgartenschau. here are some pics from 2005...

link

Aug 31, 07 9:48 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

*bump*

just cause I feel like it. Been having fun in the office the past few weeks playing LA. even doing some grading and road alignment- opps does that make me a civil engineer?

Been struggling with how to organize a 1000 acre site in terms of planting new forests, leaving the existing tea plantations, and garden zones - all integrated (or not) with the 2/3rds of the site covered by golf that some dude in Sacramento is handling.

I've gone through every proposal for downsview - dots, lines, et cetera and none of them are sticking. Gotta integrate the planting with a verigated topography of plateaus and valleys dropping 30 to 40 meters down to a river, along with a master plan that looks like a drunken paisleys of housing clusters. Maybe it's time to pull out la villette and do a tschumi to the site.

Sep 26, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
siggy

...earlier you asked about Flower Festivals. The town I grew up in, Lompoc, has a "Flower Festival" each June (I think it's June) to celebrate the fact that so many flowers grow there. Well, used to grow there, I think it's mostly veggies now.

Some of my first memories of Lompoc were seeing field after field of allysum, sweet pea, stock, marigold, sunflower, astors, dahlias, poppies...you name, over and over again. Its gradually shifted to veggies - beans, lettuce and artichokes from what I can tell now - but they still have the festival each year.

----

Did you take part in the recent PARK(ing) Day? Here's the flickr group which has a lot of group's photos of the event here in Los Angeles.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/parkingdayla/pool/

----

People in my office are looking for some good competitions, might you know of any that are landscape specific?

Sep 27, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

Siggy-

is that Lompoc CA or is there another town of that name? I'd expect there to be a rocket festival, not a flower festival in that part of the world. One of my favorite beaches is Surf - as reported on that thread about beaches.

(i'm currently a refugee from LA dreaming about returning from the frozen north woods). I missed park(ing) day.

no news on competitions - sorry.

Sep 27, 07 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
siggy

Lompoc, CA indeed. There are plenty of rockets, for sure - that's why my family is there, my dad is a rocket scientist (I still think it's cool I can say that)!

Surf Beach is a lovely, ever-changing place. It's one of the most volatile landscapes I know. Every time I go there it is different, some kind of shift has taken place.

----

"Planting new forests" !!! You are working on a project where you are creating a FOREST? that is just aweome. wow. please make sure there are gnomes.

Sep 27, 07 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

*bump*

this week I'm immersed in the concept of world expos. its been fun revisiting some of my favs from the Barcelona 2004 Forum to 1998 Osaka expo. These sorts of destination events are a unique landscape typology that allows for some great freedoms but also have some strict constraints for dealing with the huge crowds that the organizers dream of. My PM wants me to play with paving patterns and develop site furniture- but I want to play in section to integrate meanders, eddies and flows into the surface - not just make a flat plane with patterns.

anybody else got good stories of designing olympic or world fair projects????

Oct 22, 07 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

do a ha-ha

Oct 22, 07 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
work for idle hands

great site

64 new york worlds fair

Oct 22, 07 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

a salt marsh or beach is more likely. I'd only use a ha-ha if there were grazing sheep near by...

Oct 22, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller
'67 and '92 in the news
Oct 22, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

the sustainable sites initiative preliminary report was recently released and the ASLA is looking for your comments! the SSI will be integrated into LEED 3.0, so us 'scapers need to show our colors and make the SSI the best damn rating system possible.

Nov 7, 07 11:37 pm  · 
 · 

I look forward to reading it over the next day or so..

Nov 8, 07 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
Louisville Architect

i wish i could convince clients to get a real landscape architect.

i have a project now in which this would make all the difference but we've got a civil engineer/landscape architect on the team. guess what - they may have the quals, but they're no landscape architects.

Nov 9, 07 6:45 am  · 
 · 

yeah, i hate having civil engineer/landscape architects... they never to good jobs... they might get the water to go where it needs to go, but never in an interesting or attractive way... i did some work at a park recently where the civil/landscape put the big ass shallow water treatment pond right in the middle of the largest open green space... they said that it would stay dry except during big rains... it's now a very shallow lake and mosquito breeding ground... a really nice place to throw the football around...

Nov 9, 07 8:21 am  · 
 · 

I've been thinking about jury rigging some tubes of cyanobacteria to my chimney and creating a carbon garden like this:

so what catalog do I order the green slime from? the tubes should be a piece of cake.

Nov 25, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
ldaye

another la here...

while i was living/working in barcelona we traveled north to check out the temp de flors in girona. here is a link to the festival.....

http://www.gironatempsdeflors.net/eng/index.php

it was amazing...

and thanks for the links

Nov 26, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 

Just curiously...

How many Landscape Architects are there out there?
By this i mean in the Archinect community...

And is there a Archinect-like website (besides Archinect) for Landscape Architects??

Jan 11, 08 8:12 am  · 
 · 
mike de

LA here...
nam: I haven't really found any land arch sites like archinect. I did, however, find this site: www.treeline.biz These guys write some pretty interesting articles.

Jan 11, 08 8:47 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

there are no landscape fora on the web to equal archinect - so that's why I make it my home. there is the L-ArchL list serve, the ASLA blog, planizen, and several blogs, but not much else.

Jan 11, 08 9:48 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

from L-ArchL - cool stuff if you want to try and get published:
Subject: topics for LAM

Landscape Architecture magazine is considering a few possible topics for
articles in '08. I'm posting this in hopes some of you can suggest some
background, contacts or direction that may help make these ideas a
reality.

1-L.A.s with unusual specializations (can include public practitioners).

2-Any L.A.s working with Safe Routes to School or related issues.

3-LA firms with unusual business models or innovative practices.

4-LA involvement in windfarms.

5-Finally, are there any L.As whose projects are being used by the
(mostly underground) Parkours devotees, or L.As otherwise involved in
Parkours (maybe doing it themselves)?

J. William "Bill" Thompson, FASLA
Editor
Landscape Architecture
bthompson@asla.org
202/216-2346

Mar 1, 08 6:26 pm  · 
 · 

Oh and Treekiller you'd be proud - I followed much of your compost heap advice and i have a steaming pile waiting for the completion of my bin. I have recycled a gal. coffee tin to use to collect my daily coffee grinds as well as natural waste (egg shells included), to add to the brush that I clear when gardening. The bin is being made of re-used timbers from the house demo, including the nails. Pictures will follow.

But I need a little more help. On this rock we aren't as eco saavy as well, everywhere else so we still bag most things from the grocery. I have purchased three shopping bags (post-composite) and have left one in each car but I keep forgetting to take it out when i go shopping. Any hints to remind myself - save stapling it to my hip?

this post has been simultaneously posted here.

Jun 8, 08 11:30 pm  · 
 · 

I don't know how the term vegitecture escaped my notice before now, but this is now my favorite description of who I am.

unlike the terms 'architect' or 'landscape architect', I don't need to fight with any licensing body to proudly proclaim: BARRY LEHRMAN, VEGITECT.

Dec 21, 08 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

hheheeh

Dec 21, 08 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
A great interview

by Abitare with Alan Berger dicussing his Pontine Marshes project in depth, in which he discusses the particulars of his approach to contemporary issues of irregular large scale land use and reclamation.

Feb 10, 09 9:19 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

nam - thanks for the Berger article.

Feb 10, 09 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

The transformation of El Toro is now Shovel Ready!

LA Times reports that design work on the OC Great Park is completed. Does this mean that layoffs are pending for folks at Ken Smith's studio?

The article questions if anything else will get built in the near term beyond the balloon ride....

Feb 10, 09 1:45 pm  · 
 · 

If those humans scale is right that is a huge bridge/bldg....

Feb 10, 09 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
Bobert746

Thank you, it's very inspiring story it might be very kind for students. For example last year when I had a difficult of time at the end of semester with a ceaseless flow of academic assignments and homework, I had a awesome idea to buy it somewhere and than use plagiarism detection. I was so crippled that I did not care for what can crop up when my academic work was written by another person. To my admirable surprise, research paper was divine the price I paid for it. I was so contented with the quality and now everytime i use this service.

Sep 16, 09 11:13 am  · 
 · 
grid

^ spam

Sep 16, 09 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

I posted a basic review of Continuous Productive Urban Landscapes: Designing Urban Agriculture for Sustainable Cities By Andre Viljoen to the books section see here

also posted an extended riff on the review over at my blog see here

Oct 21, 09 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

Hey I read another book on urban agriculture....

I posted a basic review of Growing better Cities: Urban Agriculture for Sustainable Development in the book section here

Also posted an additional related point or two made here on my personal blog.

Apr 20, 10 8:07 pm  · 
 · 

Nam, I have a lecture on UA coming up in two weeks. Your review of the books gives me a framework to play with and shortens the amount of research I gotta do. thanks!

Apr 20, 10 9:45 pm  · 
 · 

Barry glad I can be of service...

Apr 21, 10 8:26 am  · 
 · 

Just wanted to point to a new feature What is a Park - Landscape or Infrastructure which went live today.

Wherein I discuss parks (as infrastructure and landscape) and the importance of community involvement in the design process with Gerdo Aquino, president and principal of SWA's Los Angeles studio.

Mar 15, 11 1:28 pm  · 
 · 

Hey I just noticed this book from the reviews section. Any necters read Infrastructure as Architecture: Designing Composite Networks??

Sounds interesting. The use of the word coupling makes me think of the recent Pamphlet #30

Mar 28, 11 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: