Archinect
anchor

Archinecters in Rio de Janeiro

RoedGroed

I'm hoping to go there very soon, like next week, and stay for a couple of months, so looking for cheap/affordable accomodation.
If anyone wants to offer a small/box room or know where to look/call please let me know.
If not picky at all: Just need somewhere to crash (could be the floor) and where I can shower and change clothes.
Needless to say, I'm a student and have very little money so won't be able to afford an agency holiday apartment.

Jul 24, 07 11:42 pm
snooker

How is your Portugese?

Jul 25, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

Non-existent...I know...Willing to learn though. Normally good with languages.
Maybe worth mentioning that I'm not planning on vegetating on the beach - I hope make myself quite busy, not holidaying.

Jul 25, 07 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

roedgroed.....my wife is from Rio....so start studying. Where you from [country]?

Jul 25, 07 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

I'm from Denmark. I speak Danish and English fluently, understand some German, can read a bit of French. It's all downhill from there I'm afraid...

Jul 25, 07 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

maybe you should stay put and do a study under the great master of 3dh, then you wouldn't have to worry about learning a language and trying to keep up with those Brazilian Women....

Jul 26, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
simples

roedgroed...just make sure that Rio is not your status quo decision...Sao Paulo has a beautiful strictness to their brutalism...
i always liked the analogy that oscar niemeyer is to rio as paulo mendes da rocha is to sao paulo
( http://www.pritzkerprize.com/full_new_site/2006/pdf/photobook.pdf )

Jul 26, 07 11:34 am  · 
 · 

what exactly are you going to Rio for? Just don't swallow any funny looking pellets on your return.

I've been looking to visit myself, I'm just waiting to leave this ridiculously stressful job

Jul 26, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

Why would you not go to Rio? I have never visited South America, and Brasil is the kind of place one has so many ideas of what it might be like. And yes, some proper Modernist, but sexy, architecture.
I can't afford it really, which is all the more a reason for doing it...

Jul 26, 07 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

simples - Thanks for the tip. I must admit I did not know about Rocha before your link. I like it.

I'm sort of puzzled - have you guys seen this doc?

Does he just doodle these shapes and go "yes, I like this" and then someone else has to cram in the toilets and whatnot?
I'm not sure the saucer museum works as a gallery. Seems more like a penthouse flat, but hard to get a sense of the thing. Ceiling appears really low, so maybe Im just being cheated by camera angles - also, can you really appreciate the view when the glass is angled like that?
And the ramps - supposedly this device helps invite people inside...Well, I guess you'll need one if you're going to lift the thing off the ground, but why not just open at the ground plane? Surely, that's more democratic? To me ramps often make me feel like I'm entering some 12th century castle...
And I love all this stuff...Just thinking out loud and probably saying too much.

And still looking for places to rent :-) Thanks.

Jul 26, 07 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
simples

roedgroed...thanks for the doc. link...i will be eating lunch at the office so i can watch it sometime soon...can't help you with any rental hints, but in response to some of your comments, many niemeyer buildings, especially when it comes to scale, form and space, are much friendlier to your senses in person...you will soon see...also, if you can, i'd be interested in reading your impressions after your visit (to compare to your comments above) niemeyer did a few things in sao paulo (ibirapuera park buildings, memorial da america latina), plus lina bo bardi's MASP and SESC Pompeia are most definitely worth a visit as well...

Jul 27, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Roedgroed, I have visited this museum and it is a gem. It is sited at
the Point of a small pennusula with the ocean on three sides of it. It is not so easy to get to because it is in Nietro across the bay from Rio. However if you want to go take the Ferry which will bring you to his newest project the Ferry Terminal in Nietro.

You must also visit his other works in Rio.

Jul 27, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

Well, have to get there first...August is expensive...Yikes.

Jul 28, 07 6:26 am  · 
 · 
brzinsf

first, portuguese is not easy, from what I heard of from those who even speak roman/latin languages. It is not spanish. All you need is a good common sense if you are willing to venture yourself out there.
Second, in terms f architecture and design, Sao Paulo is a much better place to visit (from personal experience of course). Rio is beautiful and with brilliant designers, nevertheless, Sao Paulo is a cosmopolitan city, enriched with high-end design firms and sophisticated architecture.
Do some good research before you get out there. It all depends on what type of experience you are looking for.
Regarding housing...well....I would say contact the local universities. If in Rio, email PUC-RJ, FRJ. In Sao Paulo there is Mackenzie and USP. Send an email to the faculty in Architecture and Design. Regarding brazilians, they tend to be very friendly and welcoming to open their houses to good-hearted people.
Hostels are also the best bet in Rio. Just do not stay in Copacabana. That will be a trap into getting mugged. Ipanema and Leblon are the best areas in Rio.
And what is wrong in laying in Ipanemas beautiful beach?
Check out Buzios, Angre dos reis, Ubatuba, Ilha grande, and Ilha Bela, as well.
Good luck.

Jul 28, 07 6:52 am  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

Thanks brzinsf (and everyone else for that matter!) - that is high-quality good info.
I'm tryting to do research, but I'm running out of time. This Brazil trip is a last minute idea, with other suimmer plans falling through so everything is happening a bit faster than I can control.
I think step one is just to get my ass overthere and figure out the rest. My experience is that schedules and plans all quickly go out the window once you hit the ground...And that's a good thing!

Jul 28, 07 8:30 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Roedgroed

If you make it to Brazil this summer and to Rio one place you might want to check out is the Museum at the First Telephone Exchange Building in Brazil.

You might also might want to check out the Cultural Museum with is
located in an old Artillary Arsenal.

You might want to visit the Lagoon, it seems to be a very happening place with people of all ages walking, running, biking, playing...and oh the women....you will most likely go blind!

You will know you are a tourist, cause everyone else will, so don't be flashy, like take your watch off and no rings. It is the best policy not to attract attention to yourself.

Jul 28, 07 9:05 am  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

snooker - I'm Scandinavian...I'm blonde...I'm pink skinned...I will stand out.

Jul 28, 07 9:18 am  · 
 · 
snooker

Yes....but don't be flashy.....and you will find be fine. Brazil is a
very international country by all means. You will see lots of blonde women in Rio...and in the south of brazil.

You should be intouch with your Danish Consulant in Brazil. I'm sure they have offices in both Rio and Sao Paulo. Wh knows you might even find a young lady to tour you around who speaks danish.

Jul 28, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

Hey snooker et al - well, thanks for the kind words again. You made me do it! I'm going...And already I'm inundated with stories about muggings and "gun-to-the-head" stories (not from you guys - in analogue life that is)...Oh well. Thank you!

Jul 28, 07 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
simples

roed groed...there are some great suggestions here...in re. to violence, tourists are targeted in Rio, but not as much in Sao Paulo (not so many tourists)...you just have to be aware of yourself, and your surroundings, and like snooker said, leave the expensive watch at home, and be discreet about your camera...you'll become street smart very quickly...

i also agree with brzinf in re. to sao paulo...but i am from sao paulo, so there is a bias...

do keep in touch, i am really interested in reading your impressions of brazil, and its architecture...

ps. also, if you are a guy, in Rio, beware of women with an adam's apple!!!

Jul 30, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

Yep, i will try to be street wise...If it's really bad and I end up feeling paranoid all the time I'll head somewhere else. Cape Town was a bit like that and I didn't appreciate it at all (sorry in advance to all SA'ers here...). Would like to bring my DSLR but will leave at home and pick up cheapo snappy when I get there I think - fooling around with a tripod is just asking for it. It's a bit annoying though, as I'm hoping to do some work (yes!) but think I will leave my expensive gear at home to avoid stressing about it. Hell, carrying your laptop/camera round London is bad enough...

Jul 30, 07 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

Oh, and regarding my initial inquiry about accommodation I've managed to find quite a few sites and also been using craigslist - I'm going alone so savings on renting a flat isn't that great, but if you're a bunch sharing then definitely go for this as the monthly rates are good and choice is wide. So I think I'm more or less sorted and happy to make suggestions if someone needs some pointers.

Jul 30, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

Sorry to bump this thread back into action - but might as well keep it where it started:

I´ve been flipping through Rio now for a couple of weeks and I must admit I´m a bit smitten by the Petrobras building in Rio´s business district. AFAIK the architect credited is Roberto Luis Gandolfi (et al)
However, information seems scant on this and his architect brother.

Does anyone have some more info on him/the project? I wonder how this building is perceived within the canon of Brazilian architecture.
In my view, it totally holds up, but will try and see if I can actually get inside on a tour and experience the interior and those "gardens".

There are plenty of images around, but here´s a selection

Aug 25, 07 9:12 pm  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

Also, it´s interesting being in Rio and seeing how people are tripping over Sao Paulo/Sampa (vis a vis the recent link to Frieze).

I´ll try and add something in the appropiate place when the time is right, but I´m just a bit pessimistic when it comes to this "this is the city of the future/the now"...Big words for a city where people are leading a hard existence...I just don´t see the need to glamourise the whole Mega-Polis thing. It´s nice to be able to step back and observe, but to be tangled up at the bottom end...Not so nice, is my guess.

Anyway, there´s a good doc online over on the Tate site.

Ah, the irony that I´m in Brasil, but will miss both the Global Cities AND Helio Oiticica exhibits

Aug 25, 07 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I found this blurb about his brother which you might find of interest.

Gandolfi, José Maria
(b São Paulo, 1933). Brazilian architect. He graduated from the Faculty of Architecture of Mackenzie University, São Paulo (1958), and established an office in Curitiba in 1961, when he was appointed Professor of Architectural Composition at the Federal University of Paraná. Working in association with others, he won a series of important public competitions including a club (1962; with Luiz Forte Netto) at Campo Santa Monica, near Curitiba; the Municipal Theatre (1966; with Roberto Luiz Gandolfi and L. F. Dunin) at Campinas, São Paulo; and the Petrobrás Headquarters (1968; with Roberto Luiz Gandolfi, Luiz Forte Netto, J. Sanchotene, A. Assad and V. de Castro) in Rio de Janeiro, which concealed its gigantic size in a composition of mass and space created by hanging gardens. He and his brother, Roberto Luiz Gandolfi (b 1936), then won competitions for the offices of the Banco do Brasil (1970) in Caxias do Sul and the Instituto Brasileiro do Café headquarters (1976) in Paranaguá. They went into practice together, and the reputation gained from the competition entries led to an impressive number of contracts for both public and private works; the partnership became one of the best known in Brazil. Gandolfi helped form the Directorate of Urban Development in Curitiba in 1971, becoming Director of Parks and Open Spaces; in four years he expanded the city’s green areas from 0.5 sq. m to 12.5 sq. m per head, giving Curitiba an unequalled quality of environment. Later concern for the integration of buildings and landscape was revealed in designs for two branches of Citicorp Bank, one in Porto Alegre (1980) and the other at Curitiba (1984) in which internal gardens and a series of terraces continue the open space in front of the building towards the central atrium.

As you see there were a number of individuals involved with Petrobras' building. For those who don't this is the Brazils Oil Company.

Aug 26, 07 9:42 am  · 
 · 
snooker

roed while your poking around Brazil you might want to check out some of the work of this architect: He was on the jury who selected
Roberto Gandolfi and others for the Petrobrás building.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~artigas/home/

Aug 26, 07 9:48 am  · 
 · 
simples

man, looking at the artigas link, and remember FAU_USP, makes me remember how much i love concrete...

Aug 27, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
French

yeah that petrobras building is great.
i'm actually heading there pretty soon too.
planning to visit Rio, sau paulo and possibly Brazilia if time and distance makes it possible.
i 've got notion of portuguese, and since it sometimes sounds like french, sometimes like spanish it shoudln't be that bad in the end.
So anyone living there could give some advice about accomodations, neigborhood tohang out in, restaurants, clubs whatever stuff like that?

Feb 6, 08 10:03 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

French this should give you a general idea about Life in Rio on Fat Tuesday: http://oglobo.globo.com/carnaval2008/rio/

Feb 6, 08 10:22 am  · 
 · 
French

thanks for the link snook
I'm popping this one up again cuase I was looking for a hotel/room/accomodation of any sort in a specific neigborhood, called Urca, and I've found nothing on the web.
Any insiders have suggestions?

Feb 14, 08 10:09 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

French I will ask the Mrs....most likely she will respond.

Feb 14, 08 10:50 am  · 
 · 
snook_dude

She said I quote: Apartments in this area only become available is someone dies. Urca is a very difficult place to find anything for rent
because of its quality of life. It is a little community in a big city and of course Sugar Loaf is in your back yard.

Feb 14, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
French

Thanks snook
I've finally found something cool in the Santa teresa neigborhood.
I'll let everyone know if it's better to stay there than Ipanema or Capoacabana (Ipanema was my first choice, but the lady friend prefered the other one so we'll see...)

Feb 29, 08 8:45 am  · 
 · 
RoedGroed

Hi French,

It ain't hard finding accomodation in Rio - but what's your budget?
Anyway, Santa Teresa when I was there was rumoured to have problems with the neighbouring favelas so check with the locals.
AFAIK locals prefer Ipanema to Copa - Copa is basically a dump for sex tourists. Which might be your thing or not. However, I rented an appartment there because the rates were good/cheaper than Ipanema (rent for 1 month is the same as for 14 days - check gas/elec) and the hood is fairly lively 24/7 whereas some parts of Ipanema gets terrifically dark and slightly worrying to travel through for a gringo. Also, Copa ain't half bad for getting around but I don't think Rio is all that bad anyway in terms of travel unless you plan on truckin' down to Barra every other day...
Anyway, sounds like Lapa might be your thing - hope you have fun and am very jealous...
BTW a used "apartamentos temporada" to get on the right track in google - should give you the major temp/rent site for Rio where you can get some pointers. Be safe.

Mar 1, 08 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

French,

It is an interesting neighborhood. I have been there with the Mrs.
It is a difficult place to get to unless you ride the tolley from Downtown Rio from Lapa (The Arches). There are some wonderful
ruins at the top of Santa Teresa which one of my wifes Professors was the architect of record. There is also a killer house museum just next door. However there was a major heist of art from there a couple of years ago. I'm not so sure how safe it would to be to
travel in that neighborhood after the sun sets. Because of all the
small winding roads and stop and go. can quickly get you in trouble.
I mean not just you anyone not from the hood. my brother inlaw
has had a gun held to his head at a traffic light in the early evening
hours and he is no slouch. I would suggest visiting during the day
and finding a more central easier to access neighborhood. You will enjoy your time in Rio being a bit more into the 24/7 neighorhoods.

http://www.brazilbrazil.com/arcos.html

http://www.travel-travel-travel.com/spot/archives/8/SANTA_TERESA-RIOS_FAIRYTALE_NEIGHBORHOOD.html

Mar 2, 08 11:29 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: